Swami-like Fortune Cards

Old January 22nd 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting
John Savard

Default Swami-like Fortune Cards

Decades ago - but still after such "penny arcade" machines had become
very, very uncommon - I had occasionally, while walking along a certain
street, found discarded cards with fortunes on them. I couldn't figure
out which store or restaurant the vending machine was in that these came
from, but over time I picked up and saved several of them.

They were on thick cardboard, and on one side, printed in red, was the
symbol and name of a playing card and a fortune. The fortune for some
cards was in a font resembling Century Expanded, that is, a Roman font
with serifs, and others had their fortune in a condensed sans-serif
font.

On the other side was the phrase "ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION" printed in
Vogue, with a phrase implying a yes or no answer in Cheltenham. The
legend "Printed in U.S.A." appears then on one side of the bottom, along
with (OVER) on the other side (it's also on the bottom right of the
playing card side, to indicate there's something on both sides of the
card). Between those two items is a clearly readable three-digit number,
almost certainly intended for Numbers players.

I thought today to search for information about such vending machines. I
found out that the Swami napkin vendor provided fortune slips of a very
similar kind. One site had some of these for sale, and had a picture.

That picture showed the fortune for the two of clubs - a short vehement
argument. I have the two of clubs for these cards, and it has a
different fortune, one that asks the querent to say each morning "I am a
luck person".

That it says that, and not "I am a lucky person", which would be more
grammatical, made me think of a Far Eastern origin for the cards. But
they do say "Printed in U.S.A.".

But that's all they say; there is no copyright notice or information
about the manufacturer.

Also, the Swami cards are on heavy colored paper; these are on thick
cardboard, with a white surface on each side. The Swami cards have a
hole on one side, these don't. And the Swami cards just have a very
small four-digit identifying number on them, not a big visible one
intended to be the recipient's lucky number.

These cards are one inch high and two inches wide.

Would anyone happen to recognize what type of vending machine they were
for, or have other information related to this?

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html

Here's Your Fre*e Gift of Fortune Creating... Richard Langkamp Paper Money 0 February 26th 07 06:14 PM
Here's Your Fre*e Gift of Fortune CreatingSoftware... Richard Langkamp Paper Money 0 February 26th 07 01:47 PM
McCullough Fortune Willow Arune Books 2 April 7th 06 07:33 PM
FA: WARNER BROS BUGS BUNNY SWAMI talking stuffed animal (last day) fiplem General 0 April 18th 05 06:22 AM
FA: WARNER BROS BUGS BUNNY SWAMI talking stuffed animal fiplem General 0 April 14th 05 05:06 PM