Hayes in a Andrew Johnson String & Son dollar bank roll

Old May 31st 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

Default Hayes in a Andrew Johnson String & Son dollar bank roll

Could this be a possible mistake that could be valuable?

I picked up three rolls at the bank today. The teller told me a customer
had brought them in.

The three rolls have the names of Johnson, Hayes and Garfield. However the
Garfield has the reverse of the coin showing on both sides of the roll...so
I don't know if there are really Garfield dollars in that roll or not.

The Hayes has Hayes dollars and the Johnson has Hayes dollars.

Barney
Old May 31st 12, 04:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On May 30, 7:03*pm, Barney wrote:
Could this be a possible mistake that could be valuable?

I picked up three rolls at the bank today. *The teller told me a customer
had brought them in.

The three rolls have the names of Johnson, Hayes and Garfield. *However the
Garfield has the reverse of the coin showing on both sides of the roll...so
I don't know if there are really Garfield dollars in that roll or not.

The Hayes has Hayes dollars and the Johnson has Hayes dollars.

Barney

Nope, no vacation in the Bahamas for you with that one. Since they're
already identified on the wrapping, they're probably all what they say
they are. Shotgun wrapped coins end up with four possibilities for
the end coins: heads/heads, heads/tails, tails/heads, and tails/
tails. In a random pick of 100 rolls of wrapped coins you're most
likely to get 50 rolls with heads showing on one end and tails showing
on the other, 25 rolls with heads showing on both ends, and 25 rolls
with tails showing on both ends.

As for the Hayes dollar in the Johnson roll, chances are a loose Hayes
dollar was left in the counter when the Johnsons were poured in. It's
just a coincidence that it ended up on the end. Bank wrapped coins
are usually wrapped by the armored carriers from Mint bags. Some
banks wrap their own, but those aren't as common.

Jerry
Old June 1st 12, 09:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

Jerry Dennis wrote in
:

On May 30, 7:03*pm, Barney wrote:
[...]

Well, I just opend up the roll named "Johnson" and found in fact all the
the dollar coins inside are "Hayes."

So what would that mean...and they are all uncirculated. I've picked up
lots of new rolls of dollar coins and never seen a roll incorrectly
labled before.

I'm afraid now the roll is open, anything unusual about it is gone.

Barney

Old June 2nd 12, 07:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jun 1, 4:55*pm, Barney wrote:
Jerry Dennis wrote :

On May 30, 7:03*pm, Barney wrote:
[...]

Barney *- Hide quoted text -

A packaging mistake doesn't really bring any premiums. Look at the
number of Mint-packaged mint and proof sets with errors. I've seen
Statehood Quarter proof sets with one State missing, being replaced by
a double of one of the other four.

If you're looking for potential profit on Presidential dollar rolls,
start getting them now, from Chester A. Arthur to the end of the
series. The Mint is only making them for direct sale now since the
Federal Reserve has enough stockpiled for consumer use for many
years. That is, if we ever get rid of the rag dollar.

Jerry