Worm story (Washington Post)

Old August 14th 03, 04:33 AM
Bob Ingraham

Default Worm story (Washington Post)

Probably not much new here for you, but I found it interesting:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Aug13.html

Dad

Old August 14th 03, 04:42 AM
Bob Ingraham

This was meant to go to my son, Paul Ingraham, the best massage therapist in
Vancouver! But, really, you are all my children! Anyway, the story is
interesting to anyone who is forced to use a PC, poor souls.... :^)

Bob

From: Bob Ingraham
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:33:20 GMT
Subject: Worm story (Washington Post)

Old August 14th 03, 05:46 AM
Tracy Barber

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:42:24 GMT, Bob Ingraham
wrote:

This was meant to go to my son, Paul Ingraham, the best massage therapist in
Vancouver! But, really, you are all my children! Anyway, the story is
interesting to anyone who is forced to use a PC, poor souls.... :^)

tsk, tsk... I know you want one.

Tracy Barber
Old August 14th 03, 02:03 PM
Doug Spade

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
This was meant to go to my son, Paul Ingraham, the best massage therapist

in
Vancouver! But, really, you are all my children! Anyway, the story is
interesting to anyone who is forced to use a PC, poor souls.... :^)

Bob

Turns out there is an advantage to having "older" technology (like ME) after
all. Not susceptible to this worm!

And don't you love how the Post demands certain information from you in
order to access the story? I always make it up; they don't need to know
this stuff.

Mike

Old August 14th 03, 03:27 PM
Tracy Barber

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:03:00 -0400, "Doug Spade"
wrote:

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
This was meant to go to my son, Paul Ingraham, the best massage therapist

in
Vancouver! But, really, you are all my children! Anyway, the story is
interesting to anyone who is forced to use a PC, poor souls.... :^)

Bob

Turns out there is an advantage to having "older" technology (like ME) after
all. Not susceptible to this worm!

I thought this was funny as well. There "may" be certain ports that
the beats can come in on, so it's a safe bet that a firewall should be
used.

And don't you love how the Post demands certain information from you in
order to access the story? I always make it up; they don't need to know
this stuff.

hehehehehe...

Tracy Barber
Old August 14th 03, 05:55 PM
J. A. Mc.

From working in the Exhibition and Graphics industry, I've used both
systems as well as Linux.

After having to continually run through 15,862 menus and clicks just
to do a repteitive taks on the Mac, where a single 'combo' stroke does
it on the PC - I'll gladly take the freedom and few problems of that
system.

Not to mention the much wider choices of software.

BTW, the last 'apple' I "bit into" had a WORM!

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:42:24 GMT, Bob Ingraham
found these unused words floating about:

From: Bob Ingraham
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 03:33:20 GMT

Old August 15th 03, 01:04 PM
Doug Spade

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message

I thought this was funny as well. There "may" be certain ports that
the beats can come in on, so it's a safe bet that a firewall should be
used.

The worm crawled through a number of Michigan government departments this
week, and shut down the state Senate for a few hours on Wednesday.
Computers in Governor Granholm's office were knocked down for about an hour,
but Department of Management and Budget and Department of Community Health
were harder hit, taking up to two days to fix. Published reports say
Michigan was better prepared for such an attack than many other places.
Still trying to figure out why DIT (Department of Information Technology)
would not have have gotten the patch in place long ago. Maybe the operative
word is "government."

Mike
(who is proud to say the Michigan House computer system was better prepared
than the Senate. Score one for the House!)

FS - Some very oddball items Dogger Hockey 0 October 5th 04 08:49 AM
FS - a bunch of oddball stuff dogger Hockey 0 August 23rd 04 08:39 AM
FS, 91 - Upperdeck, Topps, Post Cereal Dogger Baseball 0 February 11th 04 01:50 AM
FS ........... Dogger Hockey 0 February 9th 04 07:11 AM
Interesting NY Post News Story David Coins 4 July 5th 03 10:32 AM