More than one lot of the week this week

Old August 12th 03, 08:05 AM
Didier Cuidet

Default More than one lot of the week this week

Le Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:50:57 GMT, dans rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,
a écrit :

The prices are looney and no wonder there's no bids! ...

Do you know the meaning of the two words « discuss » and
« marketplace » ?

--
DC
Old August 12th 03, 11:52 AM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

Didier Cuidet wrote:
Le Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:50:57 GMT, dans rec.collecting.stamps.discuss,
a =E9crit :
=20
=20
The prices are looney and no wonder there's no bids! ...

=20
=20
Do you know the meaning of the two words =AB discuss =BB and=20
=AB marketplace =BB ?
=20

Dave's just showing us someone else's silly auctions.

They're meant for our amusement.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY

Old August 13th 03, 02:47 AM
TC

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:50:57 GMT, wrote:

The prices are looney and no wonder there's no bids! Can't be just me
thniking this. And to think I'm starting my lots off at or a few cents
below face value.
http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....2?aucview=0x13

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....2?aucview=0x13

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....0?aucview=0x13

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....3?aucview=0x13 I
couldn't even get bids on this stamp when I offered it at face value.

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....6?aucview=0x13

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....1?aucview=0x13

http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo....7?aucview=0x13
Starting bid = 5 times face value!

Dave (hoping those sellers aren't booking their world cruises)

5 x face + $1 postage 8*)

Blair

Old August 14th 03, 02:07 AM
Rodney

The prices are looney and no wonder there's no bids! Can't be just me
| thinking this. And to think I'm starting my lots off at or a few cents
| below face value.

As outraged as you may feel,
nothing has much changed apart from the medium.

Check this item from 33 years ago.
(I confess I am not aufait with "puff par")

£1,000 STAMP
In a recent issue of an Australian stamp magazine
there appeared a "puff par" supplied by a
Melbourne stamp firm offering ("cheap at $8,500") what it claimed
was the world's highest face-value stamp, a New Zealand arms type
surcharged £1000 on £800. The item stated: "Extensive enquiries made
here, in NZ, and elsewhere have brought forth no information that such
a value was known to exist. The stamp, a postal fiscal, Is cancelled with
the obliterator of the Stamp Duties Department. It is believed to be unique".

Commenting on this item "The Pacific Stamp Journal" (NZ) had this to say:
"The enquiries made could not in our opinion have been very
extensive as all dealers and almost all knowledgeable collectors
In New Zealand know that both the Queen Victoria Duty Type as well
as the Arms Type stamps can be found with values up to £1,000.
High values such as these are of course used for Duty purposes
only and although not common, examples do appear on the market
from time to time. At the present time, a copy of the £1,000 Arms
stamp is offered In a lot in Sale 48 of our subsidiary Company,
New Zealand Stamp Auctions, with an estimated value for the
set of 40 stamps of $50".

A $50 issue offered for $8,500? now that's over pricing.