Digital camera recommendations

Old September 10th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Rudd

Default Digital camera recommendations

I am looking to buy a decent, all purpose digital camera which will also
take a nice coin picture. The easier to use the better

I'd like to spend no more than $350.

I don't know much about them so I'm hoping to get some good ideas from
the group.

Thanks.

--
I hope we can all be good neighbors online!
Old September 10th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
K6AZ

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:39:41 GMT, Bob Rudd wrote:

I am looking to buy a decent, all purpose digital camera which will also
take a nice coin picture. The easier to use the better

I'd like to spend no more than $350.

I don't know much about them so I'm hoping to get some good ideas from
the group.

Thanks.

Hey Bob!

I really like Nikons, but they have exited the prosumer camera market,
now they only offer point and shoot or SLR cameras.

In your price range I would suggest the Panasonic FZ7K, I've seen
quite a few coin images shot with them and for a fixed lens camera
it does pretty good.

I've dealt with Newegg for years, they're great.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/
Old September 11th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

K6AZ wrote:
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:39:41 GMT, Bob Rudd wrote:

I am looking to buy a decent, all purpose digital camera which will also
take a nice coin picture. The easier to use the better

I'd like to spend no more than $350.

I don't know much about them so I'm hoping to get some good ideas from
the group.

Are you kidding? You can buy a lot of digital camera for that price,
and the choices are staggering. Everything is designed to be "simple
and easy to use" today, but for point and shoot simplicity with
outstanding results, start with a Canon (or other name brand) and the
highest megapixel rating $350 can buy you.

Also, you might keep in mind that these things were not built for
normal male hands, so don't let the photos deceive you ... go to a
store like Best Buy and check them out before you order a digital
camera on-line without having held one first. You'll be glad you did.

Old September 11th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
K6AZ

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 01:32:46 GMT, Bob Rudd wrote:

Thanks Erik,

Some neighbors have spoken highly about "Coolpics"??? Do you know
anything about them as well?

The Coolpix are Nikon point and shoot cameras. Now they have eliminated
the high end models and only have the lower end silver body cameras with
the smaller lenses. If you want to shoot coins in macro mode, stay away from
any camera with a silver body, the silver causes reflections which will show up
in your coin images.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/
Old September 11th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"K6AZ" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 01:32:46 GMT, Bob Rudd wrote:

Thanks Erik,

Some neighbors have spoken highly about "Coolpics"??? Do you know
anything about them as well?

The Coolpix are Nikon point and shoot cameras. Now they have eliminated
the high end models and only have the lower end silver body cameras with
the smaller lenses. If you want to shoot coins in macro mode, stay away

from
any camera with a silver body, the silver causes reflections which will

show up
in your coin images.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/

I second that about the silver body. I have a Coolpix 2100 I use for coins.
I spray painted the body with flat black paint. That makes taking pictures
of proofs much easier to take without getting camera reflexion. While I
love (most) of the images taken with this coin, I cannot shoot dimes very
well. Read the threads by K6AZ recently about cameras and imaging. It may
open your eyes.

Jonathan_ATC

Old September 11th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Cliff Lawless

On 10-Sep-2006, Bob Rudd wrote:

Some neighbors have spoken highly about "Coolpics"??? Do you know
anything about them as well?

I love my Nikon Coolpix 4600. Bought it on ebay for $100.00. Never had a
problem with the silver body. Check the link under my sig for some shots of
copper coins.

Cliff Lawless

See what I'm into!
http://www.MyCoinCabinet.com
Old September 11th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
K6AZ

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:00:02 GMT, "Jonathan_ATC" wrote:

"K6AZ" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I finally came up with a solution when I had the Nikon 4300. I cut a couple of
holes in a black sock and put it over the camera.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/
Old September 12th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula

K6AZ wrote in
:

I finally came up with a solution when I had the Nikon 4300. I cut a
couple of holes in a black sock and put it over the camera.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/

I hope you washed the sock, first! Eeewwww, stinky camera!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old September 12th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
K6AZ

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 01:17:59 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

K6AZ wrote in
:

I finally came up with a solution when I had the Nikon 4300. I cut a
couple of holes in a black sock and put it over the camera.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/

I hope you washed the sock, first! Eeewwww, stinky camera!

It came out of the laundry missing the other sock. I don't know
what Sally does but I'm always having to buy new socks.
--
K6AZ Forum

http://www.k6az.com/forum/