What amp do I have in my jukebox??

Old November 5th 04, 03:49 PM

Default What amp do I have in my jukebox??

According to the parts and service maual I received from victory glass for
my Seeburg HF 100G, I should have a MRA4-L6 which is a high fidelity master
remote amplifier. Whats is my juke box is a MRA2 L5 . I need to replace the
some of the tubes, and the layout and tube numbers for this are completly
different than what the book shows for the MRA-L6. The tube numbers are
marked on the amp, but I wonder what exactly I have in this machine, and
does anyone know if this jukebox will work and sound like its supposed to
with this amp?.........Mickey

Old November 5th 04, 04:02 PM
Keith Stelter

Just like with pinball machines and videogames, jukeboxes on location often
got whatever parts were available on the operator's shelves at the time.
If a juke amp went bad and the operator had anything working that was even
remotely similar to the original, he installed it so the coins would start
coming in again!
I've had MANY jukes with non-original amps in them over the years. I would
rebuild the amp that you have right now, and if you are really concerned
about it you can keep an eye out for the correct one.
The one that you have should work fine, although it won't give you the high
fidelity sound. Just keep in mind that unless you have some old, true high
fidelity records that you are going to play it won't really matter.
I would also replace the capacitors at the very least when changing the
tubes in the amp.

Old November 5th 04, 04:08 PM
Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

The MRA2 amp was originally used in the model M100B jukebox. The MRA1 through
MRA4 amps are electrically interchangeable, and it is not uncommon to find
that an operator swapped amps (and selection receivers) to get a broken unit
back in operation. Most operators don't even try to repair equipment in the
field when the problem is anything more involved than a burned-out light bulb.

The MRA4 has the best sound quality of the lot, as it is a "high fidelity"
unit. If you call Victory Glass they might be willing to send you copies of
the M100B manual pages that describe the MRA2 amp.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old November 6th 04, 12:43 AM

I sent the same question to Bill Bickers as I sent to the group about me
having the wrong amp because I was told by the previous owners he rebuilt
this amp about 5 years ago. His response is below:

The mra-2 was an export only amp. There are very few of them out there.
The fact that you have one is really strange.
It does not sound anywhere near as good as the correct amp. I would suggest
that you find the mra-4. Try Bill
Butterfield:
Bill

I tried contacting Bill Butterfield but the response I got was he would be
unable to answer emails as he will be out of town for about 3 weeks. Does
anyone know of anyone else who would carry the correct amp for my jukebox
(HF 100G) and about how much money this is going to set me
back........Mickey

Old November 6th 04, 01:06 AM
Jjmscf

I have seen several on ebay.Not sure if one is running now.Do a search.You will
have to rebuild it of course.
Old November 6th 04, 01:22 AM
Jim Murphy

Mickey, I believe Bill Butterfield is on his way tohicago show after which
he will drive around the country picking up parts. I suggest you wait on
him. He is very honest and will not steer you wrong. A previous poster
indicated that you will have to rebuild whatever you get. If you do not have
experience in doing this and are not interested in spending a lot of time
learning I suggest that you send it straight to Bickers to get the work
done.

Jim

Old November 6th 04, 03:19 AM
Keith Stelter

I don't believe that Bill is correct.
It might have been an export only amp on the 100G models, but as far as I
know it was a regular, domestic amp on older 100 series jukes. I stand
behind what I said before. It's NOT going to be worth the money to try to
track down an original, then pay to get it rebuilt. Just rebuild the one
that you have and use it until you can happen across a "correct" one at a
low price. You are going to pay $200.00 for the correct amp in "as-is"
condition, then pay another $200.00 to get it rebuilt. It's not going to
have any more real wattage than the MRA-2, and again, unless you are using
the correct cartridge and needles along with high fidelity (NOT stereo)
records, you won't be able to tell the difference. Spend the money on
chrome, the replacement mech cover that you said you need, etc. That stuff
will make MUCH more of a difference to your juke than having the correct
number amp in it. Do what you want, but I've been doing jukes for over 20
years and that's what I would do. Most of us have made the mistake when we
first got into the hobby of sticking $4,000.00 in a juke that will only ever
be worth $2,000.00 TOPS! We are just trying to save you from the same fate!

Old November 6th 04, 03:20 AM

No, I have no experiance doing that and Im not even going to attempt it! So
I can get one from Butterfield, but I need Bickers to rebuild it....or can I
get one from Butterfield already working? Not sure I followed
you........Mickey

Old November 6th 04, 02:27 PM
Jim Murphy

Yes, buy the amp from Butterfield and have Bickers do a rebuild with
updates. You will be very happy with the results.
Jim

Old November 6th 04, 02:32 PM
Jim Murphy

Kieth is on the money here. Desire for perfection is a startup hobbiests
disease. And it will break the bank. If you are a collector only and do not
intend to ever sell the machine and have unlimited amounts of money to put
into the restoration then make it all original and perfect. If you are
wanting to sell or trade around then take Kieth's advice. Unless the future
buyer is a true collector he/she will not care what amp is in it. If they
are a true collector they probably want to do their own restoration and will
be looking for a deal and will not want to put out big money for a machine
someone else has made perfect. Jim

wrote:
According to the parts and service maual I received from victory glass
for
my Seeburg HF 100G, I should have a MRA4-L6 which is a high fidelity
master
remote amplifier. Whats is my juke box is a MRA2 L5 . I need to replace
the
some of the tubes, and the layout and tube numbers for this are
completly
different than what the book shows for the MRA-L6. The tube numbers are
marked on the amp, but I wonder what exactly I have in this machine, and
does anyone know if this jukebox will work and sound like its supposed
with this amp?.........Mickey

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

FAQ POST Ken In Texas Juke Boxes 0 August 21st 04 03:50 AM
Recommendations for shipping options available to have a jukebox shipped? David Gotto Juke Boxes 3 May 5th 04 10:39 PM
F.S. NSM PRESTIGE 160 JUKEBOX W/PARTS thevidkid Juke Boxes 0 April 8th 04 03:21 PM
Rowe Ami Jukebox Model 1100 gaston Juke Boxes 7 January 23rd 04 04:34 AM
FAQ Repost Ken In Texas Juke Boxes 1 January 8th 04 09:48 AM