Jan 20 - Refuse to Surrender!

Old January 16th 05, 11:58 PM
Julian D.

Default Jan 20 - Refuse to Surrender!

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:00:24 GMT, "Steven L."
wrote:

Reed Bilz wrote:

In 4 days, George W. Bush will take the Presidential oath and will vow to
"protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

More than 73,000 people have taken our "Refuse to Surrender" pledge to help
the ACLU press the President to uphold his oath of office. On Inauguration
Day we plan to activate signers of the "Refuse to Surrender" pledge to send
a barrage of emails to Capitol Hill to let our elected representatives know
that the hundreds of thousands of ACLU members and supporters want them to
make sure the President keeps his oath. The more people who sign our
pledge, the stronger that message will be.

You can help us reach our goal of 100,000 pledge signers by Inauguration
Day, January 20, simply by asking 2 friends to join you in signing the
pledge. Send them our "Refuse to Surrender" postcard and ask them to stand
with you to defend freedom in 2005.

If each of our online supporters can get just 2 people, we'll not only
reach our goal, we'll surpass it...and take an important step in holding
the President and other leaders in Washington accountable on protecting and
defending our most fundamental freedoms.

There is so much at stake, from callous disregard for international human
rights to continued spying by the FBI on religious and political
groups...from making permanent the privacy-stealing provisions of the
Patriot Act to promoting a Constitutional amendment to restrict the rights
of lesbian and gay Americans.

Help us make the voice of freedom heard on Inauguration Day and ask 2
friends to take the pledge right now. Just click here

http://www.aclu.org/refusetosurrender/

Reed Bilz
Interim President
ACLU of Fort Worth

What happened to Jean Tant? Did she pass away yet?

Isnt the ACLU supposed to be impartial?

JD

Iraq had as much to do with 9-11 as Germany had with Pearl Harbor.
-Steven L.

"I think the natural instinct for most people in the political world is
that they want people to like them," Bush said. "On the other hand,
I think sometimes I take kind of a delight in who the critics are."

-President George W. Bush
Time's Person Of The Year
2004

"The course of this nation does not depend on the decisions of
others."

-President George W. Bush
SOA
2003
Old January 17th 05, 03:37 PM
Steven L.

wrote:

Reed Bilz wrote:

[...]

The "RefuseToSurrender" pledge is more about preserving civil liberties
than it is about sticking it to Bush.

More to the point, is that the ACLU should not be spamming Usenet NGs
that don't even have anything to do with politics, such as
rec.collecting.coins

We complained to the ACLU about Dr. Jean Tant for spamming
rec.collecting.coins and similar NGs and it looks like we'll have to
complain about Mr. Bilz--if he continues to do this.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email:

Old January 19th 05, 12:39 AM
Brian Oakley

wrote:

Reed Bilz wrote:

[...]

I wonder why this same Refuse to Surrender campaign wasn't around when
Clinton was busy letting the Chinese have our weapons technology?
Brian

Old January 19th 05, 04:27 AM
Frank Provasek

wrote:

Reed Bilz wrote:

[...]

The Republican loons love to blame Clinton for the failures of the
Bushes..
In 1949, the United States and 14 other countries created by
informal agreement the Coordinating Committee on Multilateral Export
Controls for security purposes.

The initial COCOM member countries were Belgium, Canada, Denmark,
France, the Federal Republic of Germany, Greece, Italy, Japan,
Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Turkey, the United
Kingdom, and the United States. Later, Spain and Australia joined
COCOM.

COCOM maintained three control lists:

a.. The International Atomic Energy List
b.. The International Munitions List
c.. The Industrial List
The Industrial List contained dual-use items (that is, items that
have both civil and military applications) not included in the other
two lists. COCOM performed a comprehensive review of each of the
control lists at least every three to four years to reflect
technological developments and changes in the ways in which end
users could apply technologies.

Under COCOM, member countries surrendered some of their national
sovereignty and national discretion by allowing other member
countries to vote on export cases that required COCOM approval,
according to Steven C. Goldman, Director of the Office of Chemical
and Biological Controls and Treaty Compliance and Acting Director of
the Office of Nuclear and Missile Technology Controls within the
Bureau of Export Administration at the Department of Commerce.16

With the fall of the Berlin Wall and the changes in the Eastern
European governments in 1989, President Bush approved in May 1990 a
U.S. proposal to COCOM for a significant reduction in the COCOM
controls and for the development of a new "core list" of strategic
items to replace the existing Industrial List. In June 1990, COCOM
agreed with most of the elements in the U.S. proposal, and COCOM
eliminated 30 items in the Industrial List while partially
decontrolling 12 additional items. COCOM also agreed to a reduced
"core list" of dual-use items that would be controlled for national
security purposes to proscribed countries.

Old January 19th 05, 04:33 AM
Docky Wocky

Would a total of 100,000 loony refuseniks even constitute anything but a
tiny, tiny, time-wasting minority who have this mission to put Bush down?

Pre-Euro Coin Sets Bill Coins 56 October 6th 04 12:02 AM
Some South Africa merchants round off or refuse to accept small change coins John Stone Coins 0 September 20th 04 03:31 PM
Can a bank refuse you if you request specific denominations? PCameron Coins 28 June 2nd 04 05:29 PM
I Refuse to delete my ASA- Accugrade related posts from the Google Archive Bill Fordler Coins 6 May 19th 04 04:24 AM
selling World War II Surrender Documents: Germany Surrenders 1945 mike i General 0 January 23rd 04 10:37 PM