Roman coin wanted - serious collectors please

Old August 23rd 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr Ewan Jackson

Default Roman coin wanted - serious collectors please

Dear fellow collectors

I am on the verge of completing a collection of all the ancient Roman
coins of each and every emperors. I am down to my last 2 emperors.
Has anybody EVER seen a coin of the emperors Glycerius and Olybrius?
The alleged Glycerius on wildwinds.com is a gross misattribution of a
commonplace Honorius, and I have never seen either a Glycerius or an
Olybrius for sale - not in any of the major auction houses, let alone
on e-fake i mean eBay.
If anybody has any information about where or how I might obtain these,
I would be greatly appreciative.

Ewan

Old August 23rd 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

"Dr Ewan Jackson" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear fellow collectors

I am on the verge of completing a collection of all the ancient Roman
coins of each and every emperors. I am down to my last 2 emperors.
Has anybody EVER seen a coin of the emperors Glycerius and Olybrius?
The alleged Glycerius on wildwinds.com is a gross misattribution of a
commonplace Honorius, and I have never seen either a Glycerius or an
Olybrius for sale - not in any of the major auction houses, let alone
on e-fake i mean eBay.
If anybody has any information about where or how I might obtain these,
I would be greatly appreciative.

If you have gotten your collection to that point, you are to be
congratulated. It must be extremely impressive. One wonders whether you have
included third century usurpers in your list of emperors, or only those who
struck at Imperial mints.

The coinage of these two emperors is extremely rare, but examples do appear
(at long intervals) in major auctions. To get examples of these emperors I
would suggest that you have at least $75,000 in the bank and regularly
monitor auctions announced on www.sixbid.com. It may take 10 years to get
them, but that's part of being a collector.

A tremissis of Glycerius, quite a nice example actually, was sold by Ars
Classica for 37,000 CHF (approx. 28,693 U.S. Dollars) in auction no. 33,
April 6 2006, lot 631.

Your opinion of eBay coincides with mine.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old August 23rd 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr Ewan Jackson

Dave Welsh wrote:
[...]

Well, I must admit I do not have Domitianus, an emperor they recently
discovered who ruled Britain only four days, and of whom there are only
2 known coins:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/o...re/3518621.stm

And I confess I don't have Dryantilla, wife of Regalianus, but she's an
empress not an emperor.

Other than that I have all the third century usurpers as far as I know.
Name one and I'll tell you what coin I have of him.

The coinage of these two emperors is extremely rare, but examples do appear
(at long intervals) in major auctions. To get examples of these emperors I
would suggest that you have at least $75,000 in the bank and regularly
monitor auctions announced on www.sixbid.com. It may take 10 years to get
them, but that's part of being a collector.

The money is not a problem. I am a completist and must have every
emperor.

A tremissis of Glycerius, quite a nice example actually, was sold by Ars
Classica for 37,000 CHF (approx. 28,693 U.S. Dollars) in auction no. 33,
April 6 2006, lot 631.

I must have missed that one.

Your opinion of eBay coincides with mine.

50% of the dealers on eBay should be in jail.

Ewan

Old August 23rd 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On 23 Aug 2006 05:18:41 -0700, Dr Ewan Jackson wrote:

Dave Welsh wrote:

Your opinion of eBay coincides with mine.

50% of the dealers on eBay should be in jail.

My. What a _remarkable coincidence_ that these two just happened to
just show up here.

Hey "doc". I don't suppose you can provide an actual cite for that
claim. Because your number seems a bit, shall we say, suspect.
Also would you be so kind as to share with us your definition of the
word "dealers" as you have used it in this context? Words have
meanings, you see.

Old August 23rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dr Ewan Jackson

Dave Welsh wrote:

Your opinion of eBay coincides with mine.

50% of the dealers on eBay should be in jail.

My. What a _remarkable coincidence_ that these two just happened to
just show up here.

Hey "doc".

Libelous.

I don't suppose you can provide an actual cite for that
claim. Because your number seems a bit, shall we say, suspect.

The point of my post, which you evidently read (but did not grasp) is
that MANY dealers on eBay are fakers of antiquities. I wasn't
declaring that exactly half of the dealers on eBay were charlatans. So
either you are an idiot or you are playing the fool (neither would
surprise me).

Also would you be so kind as to share with us your definition of the
word "dealers" as you have used it in this context? Words have
meanings, you see.

Thankyou for your pompous point.

From dictionary.com

Dealer: One that is engaged in buying and selling

I suppose I could have dug up my Oxford Dictionary, but this will
suffice. This definition seems to describe what the people on eBay do.

In any events, most of the eBay dealers who aren't charlatans do not
sell coins worth collecting.

Ewan

Old August 23rd 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

Dave Welsh wrote:

Your opinion of eBay coincides with mine.

50% of the dealers on eBay should be in jail.

My. What a _remarkable coincidence_ that these two just happened to
just show up here.

Hey "doc".

Libelous.

I don't suppose you can provide an actual cite for that
claim. Because your number seems a bit, shall we say, suspect.

The point of my post, which you evidently read (but did not grasp) is
that MANY dealers on eBay are fakers of antiquities. I wasn't
declaring that exactly half of the dealers on eBay were charlatans.

You said, "50% of the dealers on eBay should be in jail."

That is exactly half. And what fate should befall a charlatan, if not jail?

[snip]

In any events, most of the eBay dealers who aren't charlatans do not
sell coins worth collecting.

Collectibility is many things to many people, and numismatics is a very
broad field. I'd be interested in reading your list of coins that are worth
collecting.

Mr. Jaggers

Old August 23rd 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Carney

Dr Ewan Jackson wrote:

In any events, most of the eBay dealers who aren't charlatans do not
sell coins worth collecting.

Now THAT is a pompous point.

John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mysite.verizon.net/jcarney44/coins/rccers.html

Old August 23rd 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On 23 Aug 2006 05:46:38 -0700, Dr Ewan Jackson wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

My. What a _remarkable coincidence_ that these two just happened to
just show up here.
Hey "doc".

Libelous.

How so, doc?

I don't suppose you can provide an actual cite for that
claim. Because your number seems a bit, shall we say, suspect.

The point of my post, which you evidently read (but did not grasp) is
that MANY dealers on eBay are fakers of antiquities.

No, doc, you said "50%". You made a specific, numeric claim. I'm
asking where you got it from because it appears, to my jaded eye, to be
shall we say - pulled out of your ass.

I wasn't
declaring that exactly half of the dealers on eBay were charlatans.

Really? So now 50% doesn't mean "exactly half"? Please, explain to us
how numbers work in the world you live in.

Also would you be so kind as to share with us your definition of the
word "dealers" as you have used it in this context? Words have
meanings, you see.

Thankyou for your pompous point.

ROFL. You, calling me, pompous. Oh that's farking hilarious.

From dictionary.com

Dealer: One that is engaged in buying and selling
I suppose I could have dug up my Oxford Dictionary, but this will
suffice. This definition seems to describe what the people on eBay do.

And yet, by common usage, "coin dealer" has a definition which implies
it being a business. Funny how that works. So let's see, you didn't
mean 50%, you didn't mean "coin dealers". So what did you actually
mean?

In any events, most of the eBay dealers who aren't charlatans do not
sell coins worth collecting.

Yawn. Yeahshurewhatever there doc.

Old August 23rd 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

"Dr Ewan Jackson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Dave Welsh wrote:

If you have gotten your collection to that point, you are to be
congratulated. It must be extremely impressive. One wonders whether you

have
included third century usurpers in your list of emperors, or only those

who
struck at Imperial mints.

.... I confess I don't have Dryantilla, wife of Regalianus, but she's an
empress not an emperor.

Her antoniniani do come up at long intervals. Like those of Regelianus, they
are generally very poorly struck over earlier denarii.

Other than that I have all the third century usurpers as far as I know.
Name one and I'll tell you what coin I have of him.

Amandus?
Bonosus?
Silbannacus?
Saturninus?

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old August 23rd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

wrote:

In any events, most of the eBay dealers who aren't charlatans do not
sell coins worth collecting.

What is your definition of a "serious collector"? I must have missed
that somewhere down the line.

This quoted sentence of yours has already caught a lot of flak, as we
can see. But there is an element of truth in it when talking about
things other than dateless Buffalo nickels and Indian cents in AG, for
example -- coins that would otherwise be considered highly desirable
(i.e.: highly valuable) collectible items.

Of course, as others have already pointed out, the spectrum of what
people collect is enormous. Some people collect holed and otherwise
damaged coins -- perhaps only because they don't have to shell out the
money but still can enjoy good detail on a coin that, were it not for
the fatal flaw(s), might be worth hundreds of dollars or more.

But if you look at the typical offerings of the major auction houses,
and then compare them to what we see on eBay, what do you see there? I
see scratched coins, coins with rim dings, cleaned and AT coins,
altered genuine coins, and lots of counterfeits being passed off as
"MS-65", etc. Quite often the flaws are not visible in the pictures,
either.

You say "most of" the eBay dealers ... of course, there are some who
aren't charlatans and who DO sell nice coins (Ira, for example). But
most of the things I see which initially catch my eye turn out to have
the flaws mentioned above when I look at the pictures long and hard.
I've given up a long time ago bidding on auctions without decent
pictures. At present, I would agree with the "most of". Let's just not
forget that there are some who are respectable, and not throw the baby
out with the bath water.

--
Bob Hairgrove