Gold Sovereign question??

Old May 7th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

Default Gold Sovereign question??

I don't deal a lot with these, so this may be a dumb question...

I've got 2 half sov's dated 1918 and 1887. Under the tail of the horse is
"22C"
Are these copies or what?
Thanks,
Wes

Old May 7th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alan Marshall

sound very much like they are as nothing l8ike that is on a genuine one, can
you post some pics, will probably be able to tell for sure then.

ink.net...

Old May 7th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο "Wes Chormicle" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
ink.net...
I don't deal a lot with these, so this may be a dumb question...

I've got 2 half sov's dated 1918 and 1887. Under the tail of the horse is
"22C"
Are these copies or what?

I do collect full sovereigns and what I can say is that they never carry a
carat number on them!
Let alone that if that would happen the number would be expressed with a 3
digit number and not with the commercial equivalent, that is "18K", "22K"
and so on...
I am sure that the same is happening with half sov's, so they are most
probably copies (I wouldn't trust though the stated gold content...).

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Thanks,
Wes

Old May 7th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Wes Chormicle

Pic posted at ABPN
or see at
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/641...2007003vp6.jpg

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Wes Chormicle" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
link.net...

Old May 7th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
ink.net...
Pic posted at ABPN
or see at
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/641...2007003vp6.jpg

Sorry Wes, it looks like these are imports from Asia.

Old May 7th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ο "Wes Chormicle" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
ink.net...
Pic posted at ABPN
or see at
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/641...2007003vp6.jpg

*Definitely* not genuine Wes!
Stay away of them or buy them as bullion, of course *after* you check
purity, etc!

rgrds

--

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Wes Chormicle" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
hlink.net...

Old May 7th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gwent_Boy

Ο "Wes Chormicle" έγραψε στο . earthlink.net...

Coins, travels and mohttp://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanu...org/index.html

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Wes Chormicle" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
hlink.net...
I don't deal a lot with these, so this may be a dumb question...

I've got 2 half sov's dated 1918 and 1887. Under the tail of the horse
is "22C"
Are these copies or what?

I do collect full sovereigns and what I can say is that they never carry
a carat number on them!
Let alone that if that would happen the number would be expressed with a
3 digit number and not with the commercial equivalent, that is "18K",
"22K" and so on...
I am sure that the same is happening with half sov's, so they are most
probably copies (I wouldn't trust though the stated gold content...).

rgrds

I agree, being polite this could be described as a modern pattern
coin. Somebody trying to capitilise on the rarity of the Perth 1918
half-sovereign.

Regards,

Robert

Old May 7th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alan Marshall

Definatly 100% ****e

Not genuine

Alan Marshall

"Gwent_Boy" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old May 9th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton

In a recent message "Alan Marshall" wrote:

Definatly 100% ****e

Not genuine

Certainly, but not necessarily s***e as they could well be gold.

Alan Marshall

"Gwent_Boy" wrote in message
ups.com...

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... Blessed our young they will inherit our national debt.
Old May 10th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 09 May 2007 16:18:28 +0100, Tony Clayton wrote:
In a recent message "Alan Marshall" wrote:

Definatly 100% ****e
Not genuine

Certainly, but not necessarily s***e as they could well be gold.

A density check would tell that, right? Why counterfeit a bullion coin
with the right metal though?