small coins or BIG coins

Old August 14th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Retire to Italy

Default small coins or BIG coins

Hi Phil

kinda changed as the old eye sight gets deminished with time.

Bigger easier to appreciate now but I must say I recently purchased a
beautiful 1953 British farthing NGC 64 rb .. $20 paid and it is the
most beautiful coin I have in my opinion so I agree not always large
but smaller than a farthing is too small.

I like the idea above collect a particular year .... thank you
poster for that thought...

Best to all Julia
Phil DeMayo wrote:
Retire to Italy wrote:

Is it just me or whatever... but I find BIG coins more interesting and
more enjoyable to view that little baby coins like 1c from USA or any
country. Why would you colect coins that you need a magnify glass to
view when you could have a beautiful ms70 or pf 70 silver instead from
anywhere in the world ... I mean that is perfection and easy to look
at.

Julia

It's very interesting that in a number of posts today you have made it
quite clear that you think it's pretty silly to collect small, US cent
sized coins.....yet, back on January 8th you responded to an FA post
for an 1857 Flying Eagle cent:

"Hello I like this coin but why is it not graded ? It must have a major

problem or something. thank you julia "

Has your opinion of these "too small" coins changed since then or are
you just trolling?

Old August 15th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"Retire to Italy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all

I really appreciate advice or views here,

as I mentioned I think I will collect BIG coins and also I like
perfection so was thinking of collection as many MS70 or PF70 as I can
afford or track down. I was going to opt for NGC as they seem to do
most of the world coins Panda, Lunar, Rooster ect
Someone here said this was not collecting as you can get these coins
antime, anywhere, from anyone but I feel if I go for graded NGC 70's
that would be a worthy type collection.

Any views appreciated as there does not seem to be an over supply og
MS or PF 70 but yet they are available and diverse and from different
countries.

Thanks to all ...

Julia
BBQ n BLUES wrote:
Julia;

I can't get very excited by MS this or MS that and especially
slabbed coins....When I look in my billfold I get an abrupt and harsh
reality check.
By all means, collect what pleases you and if slabbed MS-70 does it for you
then go for it
and never look back.

After many years of trying to analyze my interests and failing and many
years of trying to
put a more concrete direction to my collecting and failing...I give up.

I choose the cheap eclectic route, at least for today ;-)

Dale

Old August 16th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Iagos Fool

"Retire to Italy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Phil

kinda changed as the old eye sight gets deminished with time.

Bigger easier to appreciate now but I must say I recently purchased a
beautiful 1953 British farthing NGC 64 rb .. $20 paid and it is the
most beautiful coin I have in my opinion so I agree not always large
but smaller than a farthing is too small.

I like the idea above collect a particular year .... thank you
poster for that thought...

Best to all Julia

I'll agree with you on the big coins thing. Once a coin gets past a certain
size, it's neat just because it's big. I've got a couple of 1kg australian
coins, but I hear that the russians made a 3kg silver coin a few years back.
I might go after one of those if I can find one for a reasonable price. (If
anyone out there has one, a reasonable price for me at the moment would be
about $25, hint hint... I'll also pay dollar for daler for any genuine
swedish plate money.)

But I have to disagree with you on the smaller than a farthing being too
small. I quite like my little panamanian 2 1/2 centavos coin. And once I
saw a greek silver coin. It is one of the few coins that I have seen,
thought about buying, not bought, and then regretted for a long time. It
was essentially a sphere, about 3 mm in diameter, with a tiny owl on it. It
is by far the smallest greek minor I have ever seen, and several fractional
obols that I bought later are enormous in comparison. The dealer had it in
an air-tight holder made for a silver dollar, and it rolled around
essentially freely in the holder.

I wonder how many of those it took to buy a gallon of gas in Athens at the
time.

IF

Old August 17th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"Retire to Italy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it just me or whatever... but I find BIG coins more interesting and
more enjoyable to view that little baby coins like 1c from USA or any
country. Why would you colect coins that you need a magnify glass to
view when you could have a beautiful ms70 or pf 70 silver instead from
anywhere in the world ... I mean that is perfection and easy to look
at.

Julia

If you had an accurately graded MS65 wheatie and the same issue accurately
graded MS67 sitting next to each other you can most always tell the
difference from across the room--no magnification needed. Same goes with
most any coin no matter how big or small it may be. Or you might have a
small coin with some awesome tones going--those you don't need to have a
microscope to notice a huge difference from across the room. I would rather
have a small coin with some attractive tone over a large coin that doesn't
any day.
Proofs are an entirely different thing though. You cannot tell much
difference between a proof non-cameo that might be accurately graded PR67
compared to one that might be PR69 or 70 even--but you can really see the
difference between a proof coin with a super deep cameo compared to one that
doesn't have a deep cameo. Let's say you had a PR64 deep cameo sitting next
to a PR69--you would definately see the difference from across the room.
Point is that you can see the difference-depending on what you are looking
at-without needing a scanning electron microscope.
So it's 'just you' ;-)
There are a few coins that are way expensive that you do need magnification
to notice any difference--many re-punched mint marks or some over dates come
to mind. Some doubled dies are also like "where's the beef?" It's usually a
matter of 'needing' a particular variety of coin to complete a
collection--like some Morgan VAMs are way expensive but you need
magnification to see the differences.
You just cannot beat collecting what you like--you'll never be sorry no
matter how much money you dump down a bottomless numismatic hole. But
whatever you do you want to avoid turning your passion into a chore--it is
easy to get turned off on a series if you try to collect everything in that
particular series with rules you made ahead of time. It's like those new
years resolutions. Or taking a vacation--usually the very best vacations are
the ones with no pre-conditions set in your mind ahead of time.

Old August 17th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D

Retire to Italy wrote:
Hello all

I really appreciate advice or views here,

as I mentioned I think I will collect BIG coins and also I like
perfection so was thinking of collection as many MS70 or PF70 as I can
afford or track down. I was going to opt for NGC as they seem to do
most of the world coins Panda, Lunar, Rooster ect
Someone here said this was not collecting as you can get these coins
antime, anywhere, from anyone but I feel if I go for graded NGC 70's
that would be a worthy type collection.

Any views appreciated as there does not seem to be an over supply og
MS or PF 70 but yet they are available and diverse and from different
countries.

Thanks to all ...

Julia
BBQ n BLUES wrote:

If you like big and shiny try the NCLT 1 Kilo silver pieces.

http://search.ebay.com/kilo-silver-b...MEFSRCHQ3aSRCH

http://tinyurl.com/l3fee for short.

George
Old August 17th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"George D" threw out an interesting thought with:
If you like big and shiny try the NCLT 1 Kilo silver pieces.

http://search.ebay.com/kilo-silver-b...MEFSRCHQ3aSRCH

http://tinyurl.com/l3fee for short.

Many thanks for posting that, George. I didn't know these critters even
existed! :-)

Amistad
'another new factoid just learned!'

Old August 21st 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
proud-collector.com

I have a .9999 silver dollar that is about 2 1/2 inches wide and 0.625
lbs in weight. It is the biggest coin I ever saw, but I don't know if
there are bigger coins out there.

You can see it here (I will be adding a picture of me holding in my
hand tonight to show just how big it is):
http://www.proud-collector.com/5/4/collection.aspx

Old August 21st 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

On 21 Aug 2006 09:04:58 -0700, "proud-collector.com"
wrote:

I have a .9999 silver dollar that is about 2 1/2 inches wide and 0.625
lbs in weight. It is the biggest coin I ever saw, but I don't know if
there are bigger coins out there.

You can see it here (I will be adding a picture of me holding in my
hand tonight to show just how big it is):
http://www.proud-collector.com/5/4/collection.aspx

Nice coin!

You might want to test your website with some different browsers
(i.e., something besides Microsoft Internet Explorer). I am using
Netscape 7.2, and none of the pictures in the "other pictures" boxes
show up.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old August 21st 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
proud-collector.com

I just installed Netscape 7.2 and all the pictures in the "other
pictures" boxes showed up just fine for me. I don't know why they
didn't for you but I will look into it some more. I wonder if it was
just a slow server response, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
George