Hiding money

Old February 28th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.

Default Hiding money

On Feb 28, 3:14 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"JB" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 27, 3:26 pm, "Happy" wrote:
I would like to make about $50,000 disappear. I promise I'm not
dealing in unlawful activities. The money is mine from an
inheritance. I want to use $100 bills, and I want them close to me.
Since the possibility of fire forces me to keep them out of the main
body of the house, probably in the nearby ground, how and in what can
I store the bills to keep them safe and dry? I know this is bizarre,
but I guess I'm just nervous about prevailing conditions. The thought
that I have a "stash" for emergencies is very reassuring, even if I am
forgoing interest. Can anyone help with information or links to
information? I have googled the subject every way I can think of, and
I've come up with nothing. Thank you.

You want a stash to help out the kids and not let anyone know about
it. While I cannot condone keeping something like that a secret, I
understand your reasoning. Putting the money into a safety deposit
box is the best scenario. Bank CD or other investment avenues results
in taxable income, unless you go via Bonds, which doesn't enable the
access you needs. Buying coins also produces the lack of liquid funds
you need.

The bank Box does it the trick. It is secure and no one else needs to
know about it, not even your husband. Pay the rental fee in cash.
The only two (2) issues you many have is a) your access is only when
the bank is open and b) I believe the storing cash may not be allowed,
but who will know if you don't tell..

My bank sends a statement in the mail both for fees due and fees paid. If
Happy's does likewise, she'll have to anticipate that as a problem.

James- Hide quoted text -

use a Post Office box for the mailing address.
problem solved.

Old February 28th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.

On Feb 28, 5:04 pm, "Don" wrote:
had a Mormon friend when I was in the service and his church (He Said)
required every one to store at least 7 years worth of basic supplies.

Do you have any conception of how much food and water you would
consume over a seven year period.
I think your 'friend' was yanking your chain or else you just made
that up all by yourself!

Old February 28th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

"Don" wrote in message news:n%mFh.2160$JB2.1060@trnddc07...

If a Jericho type catechism were to happen that $50 Grand would barely buy you a
loaf of bread.

"catechism" or "cataclysm".

Old February 28th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Aram H. Haroutunian

Are you familiar with web notes? Or other collectible paper?
Aram.
=============
wrote in message
In article ,
says...

wrote in message

gold also stand the chance to appreciate, where the paper money will

not...........

Gold also has the chance to depreciate.

Paper cash is guaranteed to depreciate in basic value. It takes
decades to get any collectable value, and that isn't assured at
all.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Old March 1st 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On 27 Feb 2007 21:59:40 -0800, Happy wrote:

Personally, I think you are F.O.S.

Bob

Well, Bob, if F.O.S. means what I think, then I don't think you are
very nice.

Bob calls it like he sees it. I respect him for that, personally.

My inheritance is from my mother and is not taxable. The
money is now in cash , and my husband and his family would take it
away from me if they knew it existed. I have 2 very sweet children
who need occasional help with rent and college tuition. They manage
pretty well, but costs are high, and a discrete helping hand will
ensure their getting their diplomas. One will get a physics RA or TA,
so will be financially viable during the post graduate time. The
other is entering law school, where she will continue to need an
occasional assist. I didn't want to bore everyone with my life
history, but it seems I need to justify my reasons in order to be
taken seriously. Happy

No, you don't. You can bury it as $100 bills, or you can turn it into
precious metals. Or you could do half of each. Me, I'd go for gold.
It's very portable, and you can sell rather a lot of it without
attracting government attention.

Old March 1st 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 02:14:28 +1000, MDB wrote:
I am sorry Tony, but any relationship the requires you to hide anything
let alone money that you inherit is NOT healthy. There are no genuine
reasons in a free society to stay in a relationship like that - only
excuses. If you are staying in a relationship for what you can get, then
you deserve everything you get as far as I am concerned.

And yet, she's not asking you for marital advice, she's asking for
storage advice.

Been there done that and bought the t-shirt.

Relevance being....?

Old March 1st 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

Sorry about my comment. I based my statement on what was in your message
which sounded like a guy trying to avoid paying taxes on the money and other
such underhanded things.

Had you started your post with a sentence like-- I received an inheritance
from my mother and wish to keep my husband's and his family's grubby paws
off the money--we in the group would have been very supportive rather than
dismissing you like a troll.

If you live in a community property state, then you definitely need legal
advice to keep any money from your husband. If you are not, then you can go
open a bank account and not have his name on the account and you don't need
to tell him you have the money. I'd still suggest legal advise.

And I retract my FOS comment. Thanks for forgiving me.

Bob

"Happy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Personally, I think you are F.O.S.

Bob

Well, Bob, if F.O.S. means what I think, then I don't think you are
very nice. My inheritance is from my mother and is not taxable. The

Old March 1st 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

The LDS church encourages its members to keep a store of food on hand, but
it's a 1-year supply. Having lived in Utah for many years plus my son and
his wife are both LDS. Wes can also confirm this.

Bob

"Bob F." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 1st 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MDB

Dear Dave & Tony,

9 years ago I was in a relationship that involved being held accountable
for every minute of the day. I couldn't even have coffee with a friend
without getting abusive 'where are you phone calls'.

It came to the point that I was scared to go home from work. What mood
will he be in today. I would even line up for double shifts at the
nursing home where I was working. I had very little say over what I
wanted to spend my pay check on (he was unemployed).

On one occasion he chased me with a knife - when I returned with the
police to get him out, he stood there - with his big blue eyes, blond
hair and cute smile and calm as the ocean on a summers day made out that
I had made it up. He even stood there with the police making jokes - In
my home, that I paid the rent on - about me (he was shorter than me and
the jokes were to that effect) while I was told to grab some clothes
and taken to a friends house (actually a friend of his as I had no where
else to go).

It got to the point he would stand at the bottom of the bed in the
morning, pull of the clothes and say 'get out of bed bitch we have
things to do'.

Would you like to know why I didn't get out - Despite all the excuses I
made (including my worries about starting again) - I didn't believe I
was worth it. That is key to many abusive relationships (physical or
emotional).

I thankfully woke up to myself and got out. I can't stand seeing women
make compromises like that (anyone for that matter).

Relevance being....? (What else do you think Been there done that

and bought the t-shirt means.)

I have been there and know what it is like and I know how damaging to
your sense of self situations like that are. I have also walked away
from everything I had (except the bills he left me).

If my directness offends you - tough. Life is too short. I would be a
traitor to womankind if I stood there and said nothing.

If you two can't understand that - then you are not as smart as you
purport to be. Either that or you are in a similar situations - the
truth stings sometimes.

This is secret woman's business and you are just lucky enough to have
been witness to it.

Mame du Bois
Old March 1st 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andy

Whats a good chance? Good enough that people in the futures market (people
who predict prices for a living) would expect that? They are expecting over
$700, if you think it would be $500, there is a lot to be made by selling
gold futures.

"Bob F." wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 28, 10:57 am, "jim menning" wrote:
wrote in
gold also stand the chance to appreciate, where the paper money will

Gold also has the chance to depreciate.

Offhand, I'd say it has a very good chance to depreciate over the mid-
term.
The run up in the last year or so is not going to last.
I predict $500.00 oz by this time next year.