2007 14-coin Proof sets.. a conundrum..

Old July 29th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Harv

Default 2007 14-coin Proof sets.. a conundrum..

Hi

just got a couple US Mint 2007 14-coin Proof sets in the mail.. for them of
youze whats ordered and not received them yet, the form factor is different
for the first time since 1999 - there are two plastic cases (cent, nickel,
dime, half in one, all five 2007 State Quarters in another) in one box, plus
the "same as if you ordered it by itself" new four coin Presidential DollErs
holder.. in a separate box, both boxes housed in a white cardboard sleeve..
(and, parenthetically, although the US Mint did make a holder for the
DollErs with a gap around each coin so their edge lettering is not butted up
against the inner cardboard liner.. it's FAR inferior to the "hold the coin
with four fingers so the edges are easy to see" PCGS and NGC slabs for these
coins.. if you haven't held one in your hand and seen it for yourself, it's
hard to describe how the Mint handled the housing of these new edge-lettered
coins in their separate plastic case.. but the edge lettering is VERY
difficult to view..

now the conundrum is.. i hate only buying a couple of something at issue
price, only to have it end up retailing for ten times as much later.. who
doesn't?.. but my crystal ball is in the shop.. remember the 1999 Proof sets
and what they did, later, price-wise.. especially the Silver sets, but even
the regular Clad sets escalated nicely in value since they had the first
State Quarters in them.. these 2007 sets have the first Presidential DollErs
in them.. and although there will be a 14 coin 2007 Silver Proof set later
this year, the DollErs, as you know, won't be Silver.. just the dime, Half,
and the five State Quarters.. so the question is, since this is another
"first".. do yawl see some potential here like with the 1999 sets (although
those had other things going for them, such as ordering limits).. i'm
thinking maybe i sould order some more just in case, and then i'm thinking
they're not going to be a repeat of the 1999 sets, but then i think no one
ever had any idea that the 1999 sets would sell for what they sell for a few
years later, and will these, being another "first" of its kind, perform
similarly.. still kicking myself for only buying two each of the 1999 Proof
sets.. don't want to be kicking myself for only buying two of the 2007
14-coin sets.. and although i haven't been visiting this newsfroup much
lately, as yawl also probably know, they're going to do away with the edge
lettering an move the mottos and dates to the faces of the Presidential
DollErs in 2008, so this year's quartet will be the only ones with the edge
lettering.. buy some more and hope for a repeat or a semi-repeat of the 1999
sets.. or it ain't gonna happen..

Thanks
Harv

Old July 30th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 09:56:03 -0700, "Harv" wrote:

[...]

I wish they had put each Presidential proof coin in an individual
air-tite holder that could of been popped out of the main holder in
order to look at the edge lettering. Or have designed a holder where
the coins could of been turned without removing them.

If the price of the presidential set (which is all I bought) doesn't
go up (and I'm not very optimistic that it will) then I'll probably
break my set open and transfer the coins to individual holders myself.
I already have my uncirculated prez dollars in such holders.

Old August 8th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roßert G. Schaffrath

I just received my order of three Quarter Sets, three Presidential
Dollar Set and two Mint Proof Sets yesterday. One set of Quarters has
to go back due to what appears to be rim damage on the Utah quarter in
the 10 o'clock position. One set of Presidential Dollars has to go back
due to damage to the Jefferson coin to the right of his head. It
appears as if something dented the coin. Right out the box I could see
the mirror finish was uneven on that one coin. There are two little
dents in the surface. All of the other Presidential Dollar sets are fine.

My own conundrum is trying to figure out the most cost effective way to
finish off the 10 year Mint Proof Sets/State Quarters collection. I
purchased several of the 10 year storage boxes but now the new Mint
Proof Sets do not fit unless you strip the white sleeve and Presidential
Dollars from the collection. I have debated purchasing additional 14
coin sets and storing the extra Presidential Dollar sets but I would
love it if the mint would release a limited quantity of the 10 coin ony
sets. I suspect there is probably something in the legislation that
prohibits this but who knows. Thankfully the new pennies are not coming
out until 2009 or the Mint Proof Sets would be getting very awkward in
size. Also, once the State Quarters program and pennies program
finishes in 2010, I suspect we will be going back to the single box/two
holder proof sets.

Robert

Old August 10th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jul 29, 12:56?pm, "Harv" wrote:
[...]

Harv, you know the old adage, "If I don't buy any, it'll skyrocket.
If I buy a bunch, I'll be stuck with them."

I would imagine the thing to do is to see who's buying, how many, and
did their speculation succeed. The only speculation buy I did that
didn't bite me in the butt was the Buffalo Dollar. Everything else,
well, I still have them, hoping and praying.

Jerry
Applies to the stock market, too.

2007 US Proof Sets? [email protected] Coins 7 June 15th 07 07:43 PM
Beware OF The 2007 New 5 Coin State Quarter Proof Sets and New Silver Proof Sets Coins 5 January 31st 07 10:52 PM
US proof coin sets phil g Coins 5 January 10th 05 10:56 PM
FA: ENDS TONIGHT!!! - 1997 Proof Set, 1776-1976 3-Coin Proof and Uncirc Bicentennial Sets S. W. Ohio Bob Coins 1 June 1st 04 11:55 PM
FA: 1997 Proof Set, 1776-1976 3-Coin Proof and Uncirc Bicentennial Sets S. W. Ohio Bob Coins 0 May 27th 04 12:03 PM