Stanley Gibbons Cats.

Old April 11th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Stanley Gibbons Cats.

I am unable to respond to your original post
my server has not coughed up the latest.

It seems to me Stanley Gibbons has a catalogue for every
epicurian taste, they just need unearthing.
Fortunately for me, I reside in one of Her Majesty's colonies
and used older Gibbons catalogues are a dime a dozen.
This older "Elizabethan" may suit you, I have had a look through
my stock, and I only have the one, but if you find one on ebay
the weight is quite suitable for postage.
(I picked this one up for 1 dollar in a "phossick box" at auction)
http://cjoint.com/data/elxDJlBTp8.htm

here is an example of depth of Bermuda Info
http://cjoint.com/data/elxOSHggUm.htm

HTH

Old April 11th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Actually, I do have a second copy,
I just found it loitering at the back of the organised
jungle, I call my office.

It is the 1968 edition (so half the weight!)
You are most welcome to it, free of charge,
If you email me off list with your location, I can
get a estimate of postage.
Rodney

Old April 12th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Rod" wrote in message
snip for brevity

Fortunately for me, I reside in one of Her Majesty's colonies
snip

Rodney,

I suppose that you are the only person who still has this privilege. ;-)

--
Victor

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old April 12th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

No Victor:

Bob, myself and Tony V also do.

I would include Mette, but she has
a different Her Majesty.

8*)

Blair

Old April 12th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

I suppose that you are the only person who still has this privilege. ;-)
Victor

Yep! a proud colonial boy
What a great role model our Queen is.
She receives my allegiance purely on performance,
after all, you surely know the real King of England
resides in Outback Australia, since Elizabeth's lineage
stems from Illegitimicy.
We just hope the King does not in future, charge Elizabeth for
400 years of back rent on the Palace.

Old April 13th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Restored context:
-------------------------------------
"Victor Manta" wrote in message
"Rod" wrote in message
snip for brevity

Fortunately for me, I reside in one of Her Majesty's colonies
snip

Rodney,

I suppose that you are the only person who still has this privilege. ;-)

--
Victor

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...
No Victor:

Bob, myself and Tony V also do.

I would include Mette, but she has
a different Her Majesty.

8*)

Blair

"The modern Commonwealth evolved out of Britain's imperial past over a
period of many years, largely as a result of decolonisation, the effects of
two world wars and changing patterns of international relations."
http://www.chogm99.org/what/history1.htm

AFAIK no one of the cited persons lives in a colony but I would like to be
reassured :-)

BTW, it's me the one who lived a long time in a colony...

--
Victor Manta

Old April 14th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:10:16 +0200, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

BTW, it's me the one who lived a long time in a colony...

Romania was a colony?

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old April 14th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

wrote

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:10:16 +0200, "Victor Manta"

BTW, it's me the one who lived a long time in a colony...

Romania was a colony?

It was subservient to Russia for almost half a century,
which might count.

Old April 14th 06, 10:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

wrote:

BTW, it's me the one who lived a long time in a colony...

Romania was a colony?

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------

Definitions: 1. country ruled by another: a country or area that is ruled by
another country
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18...69/colony.html

With the Red Army forces still stationed in the country and exerting defacto
control, communists and their allied parties claimed 80% of the vote in the
1946 Romanian elections, through a combination of vote manipulation,
elimination and forced mergers of competing parties, establishing themselves
as the dominant force; Western democracies left Romania in the hands of the
Soviet Union. In 1947, King Michael I was forced by the communists to
abdicate and leave the country.
Romania was proclaimed a communist state, under direct military and economic
control of the USSR until 1958. During this period, Romania's scarce
resources left after WWII were drained by the "SovRom" agreements: mixed
Soviet-Romanian companies established in the aftermath of World War II to
mask the looting of Romania by the Soviet Union, in addition to excessive
war reparations paid to the USSR. During this dark period, up to two
millions persons were arbitrarily imprisoned for political, economical or
for no reasons, there were hundreds thousands of abuses, deaths and
incidents of torture against a large range of persons, from political
opponents to ordinary citizens, bringing gloom over Romania. The estimated
least figure of human life losses due to the communist terror in Romania
between 1948 and 1964 is 200,000. (see the six volumes: CICERONE IONITOIU et
al., Victimele terorii comuniste. Arestati, torturati, întemnitati, ucisi.
Dictionar. Editura Masina de scris, Bucuresti, 2000).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania#History

Communism on Romanian Stamps (excerpts):

- Slavery: http://www.marci-postale.com/Canal/rom-communism.htm

- Collectivization: http://www.marci-postale.com/History...ng/farming.htm

Now may _I_ ask you, Tracy, was Romania a colony?

--
Victor Manta

Old April 14th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Victor, that was a very interesting article, with links to Wikipedia. There
is one event that I fail to understand. How did the communists allow the
king to remain until 1947? I would have expected them to force him out in
1945.

Tony