canon SD450 for coins and cats

Old November 29th 05, 09:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default canon SD450 for coins and cats

I just tested my canon SD450 powershot on my cat.

The eyes came out a bizarre glowing green like from
a science fiction movie. I haven't tested the camera on
coins yet, but this shot has me thinking of returning the
camera.

Any ideas here?

Old November 29th 05, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:46:58 GMT, tom wrote:
I just tested my canon SD450 powershot on my cat.

The eyes came out a bizarre glowing green like from
a science fiction movie. I haven't tested the camera on
coins yet, but this shot has me thinking of returning the
camera. Any ideas here?

It's normal for cats to get a green or gold reflection from the retinas
in flash photographs. My dad took a great one where the green glow is
reflected up off from the hardwood floors. Nothing unique to that
camera, or digital cameras in general. Humans get red-eye, cats get
gold/green eye. I'm sure theres some fascinating physiological reason
for the color being different, but I'd be bluffing if I pretended to
know what that reason is.

Dave Hinz
Old November 29th 05, 10:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"tom" wrote in message
I just tested my canon SD450 powershot on my cat.

The eyes came out a bizarre glowing green like from
a science fiction movie. I haven't tested the camera on
coins yet, but this shot has me thinking of returning the
camera.

Any ideas here?

Stop feeding your cat fish from the nuclear plant's cooling channel?

Old November 29th 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Tom, try this web site. It has a good explaination.

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/agarman/bco/fact4.htm

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Old November 30th 05, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:46:58 +0000, tom wrote:

I just tested my canon SD450 powershot on my cat.

The eyes came out a bizarre glowing green like from
a science fiction movie. I haven't tested the camera on
coins yet, but this shot has me thinking of returning the
camera.

Any ideas here?

It's not the camera, it's the flash. On camera flash gives you red eye (or
green eye for cats) It's been a long time since studying this stuff (20
yrs or more) but perhaps just diffusing the flash will help. If not,
daylight w/o flash will certainly take care of it.

-- dw

Old November 30th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

It seems that green eye glow is quite a bit more
dramatic than I have ever seen with my
polaroid or regular camera.

Old November 30th 05, 05:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"tom" wrote in message
I just tested my canon SD450 powershot on my cat.

The eyes came out a bizarre glowing green like from
a science fiction movie. I haven't tested the camera on
coins yet, but this shot has me thinking of returning the
camera.

It's perfectly natural. Cats have a colored retina that reflects light. (It
helps their night vision, among other things.) Humans don't...the red you
see in photos of human eyes is caused by the blood in our retinas. The color
of the reflected light varies among species, btw.

Just for fun, while we're sort of on the subject:

In the tale "The Invisible Man" the scientist who eventually makes himself
invisible experimented on a cat...the only part of the animal that remained
visible was the reflective portion of its retina. (It's called the tapetum
lucidum. That's the thing that we have as well, but isn't reflective. And
yes, I had to look it up again. g) They're like little mirrors, and the
cat went through some torment at the hands of local kids who chased it
around trying to figure out what those floating green things were. The irony
is that if the scientist had made himself invisible in real life, he'd have
been as blind as a bat. Light would never have fallen on his retina; it
would have passed right through it as it did the rest of the man's organs,
etc. No light absorption on the retina, no vision. Of course, if it weren't
for reflection we wouldn't see anything at all, so I just suspend my
disbelief and enjoy the story anyway.

I also found, while looking up tapetum lucidum, that not all cats have a
reflective one. Some Siamese cats don't have reflective tapetums, and their
eyes show red like ours in flash photos. I also read that some dogs have
blue tapetums...that would be a creepy thing to see. Anyway, it appears that
not only does the color vary between species but in the species as well.
Cool, if you ask me.

Old November 30th 05, 05:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:46:58 GMT, tom wrote:
I just tested my canon SD450 powershot on my cat.

The eyes came out a bizarre glowing green like from
a science fiction movie. I haven't tested the camera on
coins yet, but this shot has me thinking of returning the
camera. Any ideas here?

It's normal for cats to get a green or gold reflection from the retinas
in flash photographs. My dad took a great one where the green glow is
reflected up off from the hardwood floors. Nothing unique to that
camera, or digital cameras in general. Humans get red-eye, cats get
gold/green eye. I'm sure theres some fascinating physiological reason
for the color being different, but I'd be bluffing if I pretended to
know what that reason is.

Dave Hinz

It can be dependant on strength of flash, angle of flash, angle of eyes of
cat, darkness before flash.
--
dw

Old November 30th 05, 04:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:37:18 -0600, Tom wrote:
It seems that green eye glow is quite a bit more
dramatic than I have ever seen with my
polaroid or regular camera.

Could be, but maybe that's a selective perception thing. I shoot many
times more photos now that I'm digital, since it costs nothing unless I
have them printed.

Old November 30th 05, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 04:11:01 GMT, Honus wrote:

I also found, while looking up tapetum lucidum, that not all cats have a
reflective one. Some Siamese cats don't have reflective tapetums, and their
eyes show red like ours in flash photos. I also read that some dogs have
blue tapetums...that would be a creepy thing to see. Anyway, it appears that
not only does the color vary between species but in the species as well.
Cool, if you ask me.

Thanks, that's the most intersting thing I've read in weeks. I wonder
how long it stays reflective after death - I've seen lots of pictures of
deer hunters with their deer, and only the "freshest" show the green
reflections. Obviously they have the same mechanism, for much the same
reasons (except on the other side of the predator/prey equation).

Dave "What group are we on?" Hinz