speed control on sony 8-track deck

Old October 20th 05, 02:07 AM
Forgnog Zambrucken

Default speed control on sony 8-track deck

8 tracker from hell wrote:

Forgnog Zambrucken wrote:

assuming i take it upon me to disassemble the motor,
what should i do to reduce it's speed ?

for starters, get the right replacement belt for the player.

(so far i got two rubber bands on the flywheel,
that keeps it running at the correct speed,
at the expense of a little bit of flutter.
i fear this fix might put strain on the motor tho.)

rubber bands are NOT the way to fix this problem. you need to go to a
electronics distributor who handles PRB or EVG belts & look up the
one that fits your model.
a word of warning, using the wrong belt can ruin the motor.

--

the belt itself is probably original, as it fits perfectly.
its in good condition, too.
Old October 20th 05, 04:18 AM
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:05:39 GMT, "Forgnog Zambrucken"
wrote:

are you insane ? snip

Yes, Charlie Nudo is quite insane. He's also a paranoid delusional,
and has a warped sense of morality, which allows him to perpetrate
frauds and scams on eBay and then lie about it in here. I know this
nut all too well...insane, yes.

dB
Old October 20th 05, 06:28 AM
Forgnog Zambrucken

wrote:

are you insane ? snip

Yes, Charlie Nudo is quite insane. He's also a paranoid delusional,
and has a warped sense of morality, which allows him to perpetrate
frauds and scams on eBay and then lie about it in here. I know this
nut all too well...insane, yes.

dB

--

hahah i like the choice of words...
hehehe, perpetrate.

i've been lurking around this group since the 90s
and its seen way ****ing more than its share of
trolls, to the point where i wonder what's going on.
"this cant be real" "twilight zone" type of stuff.
Old October 20th 05, 07:32 AM
DeserTBoB

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 05:28:17 GMT, "Forgnog Zambrucken"
wrote:

hahah i like the choice of words...
hehehe, perpetrate.

i've been lurking around this group since the 90s
and its seen way ****ing more than its share of
trolls, to the point where i wonder what's going on.
"this cant be real" "twilight zone" type of stuff. snip

Oh yeah...you must be talking about the "furry" guy that liked to
dress up on animal suits to get off...at least he was entertaining!
Nudo's just a nutball and crook, hardly entertaining at all, and an
annoying troll. The only thing that ****es me off about Nudo is the
amount of people he's defrauded on eBay and has gotten away with it.
The archives are full of my explots with this moron. I really had him
close to checking into the rubber room when I learned that he liked to
"bump" posts on Google. I don't use Google if I don't have to, since
it is infantile, so I just "bumped" the hell out of him. He about
came unglued! Since then, he's decided to pretend he has me kill
filed, although we all know you cannot kill file people on Google
Groups. To get his nut, now he sends those little "drop out" cards
out of his gun and hunting magazines to advertisers, using my name and
address. It got humrous once I told some of the advertisers that
Noodles was doing it. Now, he has a case under investigation at the
Postal Inspector's Office for mail fraud, as well as the IRS on his
ass for back taxes. Must suck to be Charlie Nudo!
Old October 21st 05, 10:38 PM
Forgnog Zambrucken

wrote:

[...]

some trolls die hard
Old October 21st 05, 10:42 PM
Forgnog Zambrucken

wrote:

[...]

what do you think about cooking tapes ?
does it really solve teh squeaking ?

i have a couple of ampex 8-tracks with this problem.
theres some songs on them i really want.
have a few old cassettes that do the same in my 3-head deck,
they play okay in the car but squeak in my home player.

how does one go about this ? just stick the cart in the toaster...
or what ? whats the real way to do this.

Old October 21st 05, 10:59 PM
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:42:07 GMT, "Forgnog Zambrucken"
wrote:

some trolls die hard.
what do you think about cooking tapes ?
does it really solve teh squeaking ? snip

Tape baking, except for some 3M formulations, doesn't really do much
for 8 track. On some 3Ms that have been in humid environments, baking
the pancake OFF the reel may help raise the whale oil lube to allow
the tape to function again...for awhile, anyway.

i have a couple of ampex 8-tracks with this problem.
theres some songs on them i really want.
have a few old cassettes that do the same in my 3-head deck,
they play okay in the car but squeak in my home player. snip

Many old, pre-1981 cassettes had squeaking problems, but unless you're
willing to disassemble the cassette shell to get the pancake out of
it, don't bother. I've found that most cassette squeaking isn't the
tape per se, but rather the internal transport items, like rollers and
pack fillers. An exception to this might be BASF, makers of some of
the world's ****tiest consumer-grade tape. Also, any tape of any
format that's been stored for a long time should be "exercised" by
doing a complete fast forward or reversing before playing or
recording. However, since a three head deck obviously has higher tape
back tension than the usual "slipping clutch" arrangements of a car or
old two head deck, the tape may indeed be the culprit. Try FFing and
RWing it a few times, end to end, and see if it helps.

how does one go about this ? just stick the cart in the toaster...
or what ? whats the real way to do this. snip

Don't bother...it's not going to help 8 track crap, as a rule. Tape
baking is generally done on pro masters used at 15 IPS or higher to
prevent oxide shed and to drive the whale oil out of the oxide so that
the tape can be dubbed onto digital media, and then disposed of. You
cannot "pop a cartridge in a toaster". In extreme cases, like the
fellow over on 8TH that had a bunch of cheap BASF RTR tape that was
stuck together, baking can help save the tape from shedding its oxide,
even on a single motor machine. But for 8 track, in the exception of
carts using Scotch 153, which is notoriously affected by moisture,
it's not something I'd usually do. The squeaking in your Ampex carts
is most probably the reel table or pinch roller. I disassemble all of
my carts, do a double splice, and then use PTFE grease to lubricate
the posts for both, and all play as new. Try it!

dB
Old October 22nd 05, 01:12 AM
Forgnog Zambrucken

wrote:

[...]

try it i did, with no success, im sure its the tape, the squeaking comes
from teh speakers and the player, plus the sound modulates with the
squeak. but whatever, i'll just try to play it in some other players
and see if i cant dub it onto cd or somthing, as for the cassette, its
the
tape as well, its not a basf (those things are horrible, most of them
squeak or have other problems, but i keep gathering blanks cause i
think they look cool, i make mixed tapes for the car on them, or stick
em in
a tascam 4-track portastudio running on low speed for lo-fi recording,
sounds pretty cool), and in this case as well, i'll just try different
players till i find one that lets me transfer it to cd. thanks for the
info.

FS - A few Odds n Ends Dogger Baseball 0 March 9th 04 09:43 AM
PART II 10,000 CARDS 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 December 8th 03 09:03 PM
SUPER SALE PART II! UP TO 75% OVER 10,000 CARDS Rose Hockey 0 December 7th 03 03:11 PM
OVER 10,000 CARDS 66% to 75% OFF PART II Rose Hockey 0 December 6th 03 12:55 PM
CHRISTMAS SALE III! 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 November 30th 03 02:07 PM