Inventory question

Old December 10th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
JAH

Default Inventory question

Hi,

I've inherited over 1,000 books and need to know what information is
needed when I do an inventory besides the following:

Author name

Publisher

Publication Date

What edition/printing the book is

------------------------

As for conditon, is there a web site that can give me tips on how to
tell the difference between very fine, fine, good, etc?

I appreciate any and all help.

JAH

Net Crimes & Misdemeanors
netcrimes.net
2nd edition
haltabuse.org

Old December 11th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"JAH" wrote in message
Hi,

I've inherited over 1,000 books and need to know what information is
needed when I do an inventory besides the following:

Author name

Publisher

Publication Date

What edition/printing the book is

Location. Where the book is shelved.

Condition plus wrapper condition where appropriate
a grading plus more verbose description where necessary
especillay in regard to faults. (A lot of this depends
on the actual purpose of the inventory.)

For non fiction and genre fiction - Main subject\sub subject
Main genre\sub genre

Plus maybe leave five blank fields which you can use as and when
the need arises.

With most databases its probably a lot easier to add superfluous
fields at the start which you may never use, than it is to try and
add fields afterwards. Especially nowadays, when storage and processing
power are so cheap.

------------------------

As for conditon, is there a web site that can give me tips on how to
tell the difference between very fine, fine, good, etc?

Simply compare the books you already own or check out some examples
in book shops. Lay a random selection out on the table and try and
grade them in terms of their relative condition. One problem with
condition is that different authorities may use different terms.
Especially in the case of say 17th and 18th century books, where
the designation "new" or "as new" is clearly inappropriate.
But maybe the most important thing for most collectors is that the
dealer they're buying off at that momemt, is using exactly the same
terms asthey are.
At one end of the scale, a copy that is as fresh and crisp as it was on
the day it was sold, with a wrapper to match is either As New or Fine\Fine
depending on who you follow. At the other end of the scale, a copy
without a wrapper, complete except maybe for missing end papers and with
a loose binding and the odd stain on badly tanned and soiled pages is a
reading or working copy again depending on who you follow.
Everything else comes between. Many people are surprised that books in
what appear to be relatively poor condition - badly worn and tired
looking with maybe a faded binding but with no really distinctive faults
still merit the description "good condition" among reputable dealers and
collectors. So be on your guard with books described as in "good"
condition. Other problems can arise as to the correct description to
give to books which have been repaired or rebound. And the impact
of a single fault - a stain on the end paper of an otherwise fine book
say - or the impact of a library stamp.

To confuse things further here's what the ABE site says ( Maybe I should
have consulted this first)

quote

New - A new book is unread, in print and in perfect condition with no
missing or damaged pages.
As New - To be used only when the book is in the same immaculate condition
to which it was published. There can be no defects, no missing pages, no
library stamps, etc., and the dustjacket (if it was issued with one) must be
perfect, without any tears.
Fine (F or FN) - Approaches the condition of As New, but without being
crisp.
For the use of the term Fine, there must also be no defects, etc., and if
the jacket has a small tear, or other defect, or looks worn, this should be
noted.
Very Good (VG) - Describes a book that does show some small signs of wear -
but no tears - on either binding or paper. Any defects must be noted.
Good (G) - Describes the average used worn book that has all pages or leaves
present. Any defects must be noted.
Fair - Worn book that has complete text pages (including those with maps or
plates) but may lack endpapers, half-title, etc. (which must be noted).
Binding, jacket (if any), etc., may also be worn. All defects must be noted.
Poor - Describes a book that is sufficiently worn, to the point that its
only merit is as a Reading Copy because it does have the complete text,
which must be legible. Any missing maps or plates should still be noted.
This copy may be soiled, scuffed, stained or spotted and may have loose
joints, hinges, pages, etc.

These terms may be arbitrary, but whatever terms are employed, they may be
useless or misleading unless both buyer and seller agree on what they mean
in actually describing the book.

/quote

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Text...f=glossary.htm

michael adams

Old December 11th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
JAH

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 10:49:14 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

"JAH" wrote in message
Hi,

I've inherited over 1,000 books and need to know what information is
needed when I do an inventory besides the following:

Author name

Publisher

Publication Date

What edition/printing the book is

Location. Where the book is shelved.

snip

All I can say is wow and thank you for the help.

JAH

Net Crimes & Misdemeanors
netcrimes.net
2nd edition
haltabuse.org

Old December 12th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Helium

michael adams wrote:

"JAH" wrote in message
Hi,

I've inherited over 1,000 books and need to know what information is
needed when I do an inventory besides the following:

Author name

Publisher

Publication Date

What edition/printing the book is

Location.

Condition plus wrapper condition where appropriate
a grading plus more verbose description where necessary
especillay in regard to faults. (A lot of this depends
on the actual purpose of the inventory.)

Plus maybe leave five blank fields which you can use as and when
the need arises.

With most databases its probably a lot easier to add superfluous
fields at the start which you may never use, than it is to try and
add fields afterwards. Especially nowadays, when storage and processing
power are so cheap.

I created a small db for my books - besides the usual fields I addded a
a large 400 character memo field for notes on book condition, dust cover
condition, questions about edition status, etc; the memo field is kept in
a separate memo file that can be referenced whenever I access the main db.
* Remove "-XXX" and "pi." before replying by email. *
Old December 17th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Denton Taylor

Um, an ISBN field maybe?

You might consider a piece of software that will look up the details
of a book from the ISBN, Readerware for example...

Denton

Old December 17th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
JAH

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:57:09 -0500, Denton Taylor
wrote:

Um, an ISBN field maybe?

You might consider a piece of software that will look up the details
of a book from the ISBN, Readerware for example...

Thank you

(and doh to me for forgetting to mention ISBN - that is on my list)

JAH

Net Crimes & Misdemeanors
netcrimes.net
2nd edition