Meaning of "First Thus"

Old August 23rd 04, 01:55 PM
Art Layton

Default Meaning of "First Thus"

Please remind me; what does it mean when a bookseller describes a book as
"first thus"?

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old August 23rd 04, 02:40 PM
Bob Riedel

Art --

"First thus" is a handy but somewhat dubious shorthand phrase, and is a menu
choice for the Edition field in ABE's Homebase program, so some sellers use it
frequently. It should, though (I think), be followed by some kind of expanded
explanation of the particulars of what makes the book at least
semi-significant: first mass-market paperback printing, first illustrated
edition, first photoplay edition, first edition with a punch-out mobile and a
Wet-Nap glued inside the back cover by the publisher, etc.

Art Layton writes:

Please remind me; what does it mean when a bookseller describes a book as
"first thus"

Bob
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat
Old August 23rd 04, 04:31 PM
RWF

"Art Layton" wrote
Please remind me; what does it mean when a bookseller describes a book as
"first thus"?

Art Layton

Hey Art
Wasn't just a week or so ago that you informed the world that you were sick
of this group, never coming back, etc.?
So what happened?

Old August 24th 04, 03:51 AM
Art Layton

"RWF" wrote in message ...
"Art Layton" wrote
Please remind me; what does it mean when a bookseller describes a book as
"first thus"?

Art Layton

Hey Art
Wasn't just a week or so ago that you informed the world that you were sick
of this group, never coming back, etc.?
So what happened?

No, I wasn't sick of the group; only those that posted messages
attacking others and the others that posted books for sale with no
attempt to determine if this was the appropriate newsgroup.

Art
Old August 28th 04, 10:22 PM
RWF

Gee Art let's look at your original post shall we...
From: Art Layton )
Subject: Another Usenet ruined by flaming and irrelevant postings
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.books
Date: 2004-08-11 11:50:20 PST
I am signing off for the next few months. I am sick and tired of
reading attacks on others, books for sale and totally irrelevant
postings. See you in January, 2005.
Art Layton
Stamford CT

You promised you wouldn't be back till 1/05 and it's still August.
So much for your integrity.
--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page
"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...

"Art Layton" wrote

Old August 29th 04, 02:58 PM
Art Layton

From: Art Layton )
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.books
Date: 2004-08-11 11:50:20 PST
I am signing off for the next few months. I am sick and tired of
reading attacks on others, books for sale and totally irrelevant
postings. See you in January, 2005.
Art Layton
Stamford CT

You promised you wouldn't be back till 1/05 and it's still August.
So much for your integrity.

Yeah, you got me; no integrity.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

Old August 29th 04, 09:59 PM
Art Layton

"RWF" wrote in message ...
I liked you better when you promised not to post here.

I am sure I can return to that state.

Art Layton
Stamford CT