Bank teller tells me that dollar bill WILL be replaced by Golden Dollar coin!

Old June 2nd 05, 04:12 AM
Dave Allured

Bob wrote:

I have relatives who are cashiers and vending machine attendants and they
NEVER see dollar coins. They are in different parts of the USA too. Where
are they circulating?

One of the many institutional barriers to circulating the golden dollar
is that most businesses deliberately choose to never offer dollar coins
in change. This is their legal choice, but it is contrary to the coin's
promotion as well as their own cost of business. Another barrier is
vending machine attendants who fail to make simple switch settings and
slot changes (as Fred described) to allow customers to use dollar coins.

Both of these changes can be done in friendly ways that still leave
customers the choice of NOT using or accepting dollar coins. So, are
any of your relatives in these industries doing anything to help remove
these barriers?

--Dave
Old June 2nd 05, 05:20 AM
Scott Stevenson

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 20:25:42 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"shreadvector" wrote in message
oups.com...
By the way, do the vending machines have stickers on them indicating
that customers can use the Golden Dollar? Are the coin slots adjusted
open larger than a quarter to allow dollar coins to be inserted? Many
older machines were set to block anything larger than a quarter from
entering and they often had the micro rocker switch set to "$ NO
ACCEPT" instead of "$ ACCEPT".

Why don't the vending machines have 4 coin tubes to accommodate 5c,
10c, 25c and $1 coins and have a bill validator set to accept $2, $5,
$10, and $20 bills and give change in dollar coins? That would help and
probably increase sales quite a bit. How many folks walk away from a
vending machine without making a purchase because all they had was a
$20 they got from the ATM????

How many folks walk up to a vending machine and can dig a dollar coin out of
their pocket? I'd bet you could stop ten people on the street and none would
have a dollar coin on them, whereas at least two thirds would have at least one
dollar bill crisp enough to be fed accepted in a vending machine. (No fair
doing it multiple times. I'm not that daring.) I still can't see these dollar
coins as anything more than Mint-produced tokens, if the only public place they
seem to be found is in some coin-op machines.

Bruce,

One of the ways that I've found it to be very useful is when I'm
traveling, and I'm at an airport. If I want to buy a drink or a
magazine, it's orders of magnitude easier to fish a couple of dollar
coins out of a pocket with one hand than it is to try to get a bill
out of my wallet with one hand (the other hand holding the crap I need
to take when I travel).

take care,
Scott
... always has a few on hand for just this case.
Old June 2nd 05, 12:05 PM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

I would not disagree with you, Scott, but my point is that the dollar coins
never reach the average traveler's pocket unless the traveler takes specific
steps to acquire some. Most people probably would find it more convenient to
fish for a dollar bill than to go out of their way to obtain dollar coins at a
bank, "just in case". I would gladly accept and circulate dollar coins if only
I received them routinely among my change from merchants. Otherwise, it's not
that much of an issue with me.

Bruce

Old June 2nd 05, 02:46 PM
Paul Anderson

:
Both of these changes can be done in friendly ways that still leave
customers the choice of NOT using or accepting dollar coins.

Aren't there ANY businesses out there that will take the chance and use
dollar coins instead of dollar bills? I think the number of people
that will grumble and choose dollar bills instead will be far
outnumbered by those who will enjoy receiving dollar coins. The
business might even call attention to itself and get some free
advertising from it.

I know Bill Krummel used dollar coins at his Dairy Queen but I think it
was the co-mingling of SBAs that caused him to abandon his practice.

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old June 2nd 05, 03:08 PM
Bob

"shreadvector" wrote in message
oups.com...
They will circulate in areas where you have one or more of the
following:
* Transit system that has a fare machine that gives dollar coins in
change for large bills.
* USPS vending machines that give dollar coins as change for large
bills.
* People who go to their bank and insist that they order dollar coins
for them. Then they get the dollar coins and they spend them.
* University and business parking lots/garages that use dollar coins as
change for large bills from machines. (Then the universities or
businesses might get a bunch cycled through their food and drink
vending machines).
* Areas with self service car washes or laundromats where they have a
change machine to break $20 into dollar coins for use in the machines.

For instance, in Los Angeles we have all of the above, and there are
some dollar coins circulating. Some= some number of millions. Very tiny
compared to the rag dollars being used, but they still circulate.

Thanks for the explanation. I was unaware. I had been asking my relatives
to save some for me because banks in my area will NOT carry the GD's. They
told me that they don't see them any either.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:16 PM
shreadvector

That is pretty annoying of the banks. Talk to the bank manager. if you
don't get a positive response from the manager, call the regional
customer service toll-free telephone number and talk to a supervisor.
They should be able to apply pressure from above to make the local
manager order dollar coins to supplu a bank customer (you). Then get
the dollar coins and spend them everywhere.

if you run into vending machines that don't accept them, notify the
vending operator of the problem and describe it to them (slot not big
enough to insert Golden Dollar coin preventing purchase, Golden Dollar
went in but dropped straight out coin return because internal switches
are set incorrectly, etc.)

Old June 2nd 05, 03:23 PM
richard schumacher

In article ,
Paul Anderson wrote:

I know Bill Krummel used dollar coins at his Dairy Queen but I think it
was the co-mingling of SBAs that caused him to abandon his practice.

Say what? Is numismatic miscegenation a crime?

ObTrivia: googling "numismatic miscegenation" yields no hits. Until now.
Old June 2nd 05, 04:03 PM

I think Google Groups needs to have their spell checker
re-adjusted.

It's too bad Google can't expand a sense of humor, but my play on the
word "circulation" was quite deliberate Leo.

Old June 2nd 05, 05:31 PM
A.E. Gelat

What does Bill Krummel have against SBAs?

Tony

Old June 2nd 05, 05:39 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message Paul Anderson wrote:

In article , Dave Allured
wrote:

One of the many institutional barriers to circulating the golden
dollar is that most businesses deliberately choose to never offer
dollar coins in change.

:
Both of these changes can be done in friendly ways that still leave
customers the choice of NOT using or accepting dollar coins.

Aren't there ANY businesses out there that will take the chance and use
dollar coins instead of dollar bills? I think the number of people
that will grumble and choose dollar bills instead will be far
outnumbered by those who will enjoy receiving dollar coins. The
business might even call attention to itself and get some free
advertising from it.

I know Bill Krummel used dollar coins at his Dairy Queen but I think it
was the co-mingling of SBAs that caused him to abandon his practice.

Since they are the same size as the new 'golden' dollar, and quite
distinct from a quarter, why should this affect him?

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :