Student book collectors

Old May 27th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Student book collectors

From the Fine Books & Collections Magazine website, a list of US &
Canadian university-sponsored book-collecting competitions, with recent
winners listed for many:

http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/con...testants.phtml

The collection that caught my attention--even though it's not something
I'd ever collect myself--is the Arizona State undergraduate winner, on
the topic of Southwest Mounted Police. I'd be interested in seeing a
list of the books included in that entry, but I couldn't Google that up.
(I wouldn't be at all surprised, though, if our John Stovall had a
book or two on the subject.)

--Jon Meyers
Old May 28th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Of particular interest to me, of course, were the SF/F/H collections:

Amherst College - Lane Prize
William Miglore-Ray Bradbury

California State University, Stanislaus - Warrior Contest
John Bultena (tie)-H. P. Lovecraft

Michigan State University
Tony Fitzpatrick-Robert A. Heinlein

University of Minnesota - Friends of the Library
Graduate: Steven Claas-August Derleth

It would be interesting to see what sort of Bradbury, Heinlein, and
Lovecraft collections you can piece together on a student budget, and
if they go beyond just extensive paperback collections.

Lawrence Person
Lame Excuse Books
Stock available online at www.tomfolio.com (searched by
www.bookfinder.com), or at:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lperson/lame.html

Old May 29th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Lawrence Person sez:

Lawrence Person

Lame Excuse Books
Stock available online at www.tomfolio.com (searched by
www.bookfinder.com), or at:
http://home.austin.rr.com/lperson/lame.html

For a guy who complains about commercial posts in this NG, you sure are
pushing the envelope with your sig line.
While it may not violate the rules of the charter, it certainly
violates its spirit and lays you open to a charge of hypocrisy.

Old May 30th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers wrote:

From the Fine Books & Collections Magazine website, a list of US &
Canadian university-sponsored book-collecting competitions, with recent
winners listed for many:

http://www.finebooksmagazine.com/con...testants.phtml

There is an interview with American University's winner he

http://www.bookguys.com/bookguys/rams/0608.ram

Unfortunately, not as many specifics as one would like.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old May 30th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

RPN wrote:

From looking at some of the individual contest sites, I got the
impression that the quality of the essays that students write about
their collections figure largely in the judging (as it probably should,
lest the kids whose parents have the deepest pockets automatically
win).

And I think the judges are usually savvy enough to look for meaningful,
as opposed to simply expensive, collections. I recall reading
somewhere that the winner at one school in the recent past won with a
collection of Polish Solidarity-related ephemera that was gathered free
of charge.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old May 31st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

I spent this past Memorial Day weekend selling books at the Balticon SF
convention here in Baltimore, and I had the pleasure of meeting a 10
year old boy who collects Brian Jacques. Nothing unusual about that,
you say ... but unlike most kids his age, this boy collects signed HB
firsts. Apparently his uncle started this by giving him some signed
firsts for birthdays, etc. The bug has taken, as he was quite
persuasive and passionate in convincing his mom to buy one of my signed
copies. Kind of gives you hope for the future.

Regards, Tim

Old May 31st 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 31 May 2006 12:16:02 -0700, "Timdo99"
wrote:

I spent this past Memorial Day weekend selling books at the Balticon SF
convention here in Baltimore, and I had the pleasure of meeting a 10
year old boy who collects Brian Jacques. Nothing unusual about that,
you say ... but unlike most kids his age, this boy collects signed HB
firsts. Apparently his uncle started this by giving him some signed
firsts for birthdays, etc. The bug has taken, as he was quite
persuasive and passionate in convincing his mom to buy one of my signed
copies. Kind of gives you hope for the future.

Just the fact that he's reading gives ME hope. But yeah, I get what
you're saying.
Old June 1st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

John A. Stovall wrote:
John A. Stovall wrote:

Jon Meyers wrote:

...the topic of Southwest Mounted Police. I'd be interested in seeing a
list of the books included in that entry, but I couldn't Google that up.
(I wouldn't be at all surprised, though, if our John Stovall had a
book or two on the subject.)

Nope, Not even I have one on that. In fact I can't even world cat it.

Well I did find this: http://www.asu.edu/english/sunangelaward/

Danette Turner (History)
"The Rise and Decline of the Southwest's Mounted Police Movement:
Race, Violence, and Peace-keeping Along the United States-Mexican
Frontier Border, 1835-1935."

Wouldn't the Texas Rangers (the lawmen, not the baseball team)--in their
early years, at least--fall under that general heading? That's what
first came to my mind, and, for whatever reason, I thought you might
have some books about the Rangers.

--Jon Meyers