(RCSD) How To Use Stamp Hinges

Old October 17th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) How To Use Stamp Hinges

Hi Rodney,

This article from 'Linn's Stamp New' shows the proper way to use
hinges:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...uss/post?hl=en

Jerry B
Old October 17th 08, 07:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi Rodney,

I posted the wrong link. It should be:

http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher...shercourse.asp

Jerry B
Old October 17th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hey
nice to read chapter and verse,
I spend all my days removing them,
goodness, it sounds like a lot of work.
Of course hingeing, no matter how careful one is,
suffers from gum mobility in changeing climates.
Thanks for the link.

Old October 17th 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi Rodney,

Look around the Linn's how to's, there is a lot of good stuff. Also:

www.askphil.org
http://www.stamp2.com/default.asp ( good for watermarks )

I do a lot of cataloging for my dealer friend. To remove hinges that
don't peel, I use 3 methods.

1. I use spade tongs with the tip bent at an angle. I lift the stamp
and rub the hinge with the tongs where they bend.
Evidently the friction heat loosens the hinge gum.
2. If that doesn't work I rub the back of the album page under the
hinge, if possible.
3. If that doesn't work I use the spade tip to cut the hinge, at the
fold, from the album page.

Jerry B
Old October 17th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:53:58 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Thin Exacto knife is better. the tongs could tear, not cut, catching the
hinge and making a thin.

I favor by small precision scissors wherein the handles are about three
times as long as the blades. I was remounting an inherited Classic U.S.
collection for someone last year, and I would swear that rubber cement
was added to augment the hinges' adhesion. On both sides of the mount.
The previous owner might as well have skipped a step and used cellophane
tape to attach stamps to the album pages.

The little scissors are no use if the hinge has turned yellow and the
adhesive brittle. After thinning two despite extra-careful tugging and
multiple long soaks, I decided for myself that they're either worth
keeping with hinge remnant if there is no sign of toning, or simply for
giving away to someone less OCD than I. :-) But I was spared that
evaluation as they weren't my stamps in the first place, and I was just
doing someone a favor.

The scissors are in my travel stamp case that I'd inventory if anyone
cares.

--
Joshua H. McGee, Los Angeles, California, USA
Member: APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old October 18th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_4_]

Joshua McGee wrote:
I favor by small precision scissors wherein the handles are about three
times as long as the blades.

I'd like to recommend flush cutters. These look like wire cutters, but
the cutting edges are ground so that they meet at the flat bottom of
the cutter.
Old October 19th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Do expand!
I cannot picture how one would employ these.
any images?

"SkySea"