Seeburg USC2 Firestar Jukebox - Value / Opinions

Old December 16th 03, 02:28 PM
Tony Miklos

Bob E. wrote:

Fred wrote:

There is a non-working Seeburg USC2 Firestar Jukebox near where I
live. This is the 1971 model that holds 80 records (160 selections).
The machine lights up, mechanism moves, but the selector pad doesn't
work and it doesn't play. The owner knows little about its value and
is asking $500 (he described it as 'beautiful'). I'd consider
offering $350 and I've seen these go for $1,500 (retail) restored. I
also see non-restored ones under $600 on a regular basis. I
personally like the 100R and 200V models. I have about 5000 (yes
that's five thousand!) 45 RPM records and I really want a machine to
just play the records. I like a nice sound. I like the warmth of the
tube amplifiers on the older machines, but it would be nice to have
access to more records and perhaps. Frankly the USC2 is somewhat
UGLY

snip

By now you have gotten some more knowledgable responses about price
and repairs of this era machine than I can give (since I don't have
one of these later Seeburgs), but I do have to chime in about the
looks. I think the USC-2 is probably the best looking of the gray-box
Seeburgs, especially in a dimly-lit room. If the appearance pieces
are all there and clean, that orangey-pink "3-D" lower panel really is
hypnotic! And I am sure the sound (if all is working correctly) would
be more than adequate! And it even has a cool name -- FIRESTAR!!!
I wouldn't throw one out of my house if I had one...the futuristic
shape ought to allow it to be called the Continental of the 70's!

I agree with Bob on the looks. I think it's a pretty good looking box
all lit up. I wouldn't pay $500, closer to $250 is reasonable if it's
really nice looking. My main advice is to decide if *YOU* are going to
be repairing the juke, or if you plan to hire someone. If you plan to
hire someone, find them first. It isn't easy to get a house call done
in many areas of the US.

--
Tony