Rowe R-81 turntable speed and cartridge wiring

Old November 14th 03, 11:31 PM
Joe Bott

Default Rowe R-81 turntable speed and cartridge wiring

Hello! I have an R-81 with a few problems. For the most part it works great,
but I'd like to see what I can do to get it in better condition. But I'm a
newbie to this sort of thing, so I'm hoping for a litle help.

Most noticably is the turntable speed. When it's "working", it runs slightly
slower than it should. But if I dont use the jukebox for a while, the
turntable sticks. It wont spin at all, until I help it. Then after using it
a while, it will start and stop just fine. I've tried oiling the motor, but
it doesnt seem to do much. So, I'm guessing that I need a new motor. I know
I might be able to find an old replacement motor, but I'd rather find an
newer motor that would be easier to replace in the future. But I'm not sure
how feasible that is... Any ideas?

And finally, I was wondering about the cartridge wiring. I know I'll have to
replace the needle eventually, but in the cartridges state, I'd rather not
touch it. Heres a close-up pic: http://www.bunkmonkey.com/needle.jpg . I'm
not sure how the wiring is supposed to be, but I know its not supposed to be
like that. I'll be replacing the wires eventually, as its already very
touchy - tapping it will make the sound go in and out, and I'll lose the
right channel occasionally. But the reason it's like that now is that my
father couldnt find a better way to wire up the cartridge when whatever was
there originally broke. So, is there some sort of cartridge plug I can find
somewhere that I can run new wires into? So far google hasnt turned up
anything at all, and I'd rather not have to recreate this wiring when I
replace them.

I have a mess of other questions, but I'll save those for some other day.

Joe

Old November 15th 03, 01:39 AM
KLR

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:31:40 -0600, "Joe Bott" wrote:

Hello! I have an R-81 with a few problems. For the most part it works great,
but I'd like to see what I can do to get it in better condition. But I'm a
newbie to this sort of thing, so I'm hoping for a litle help.

Most noticably is the turntable speed. When it's "working", it runs slightly
slower than it should. But if I dont use the jukebox for a while, the
turntable sticks. It wont spin at all, until I help it. Then after using it
a while, it will start and stop just fine. I've tried oiling the motor, but
it doesnt seem to do much. So, I'm guessing that I need a new motor. I know
I might be able to find an old replacement motor, but I'd rather find an
newer motor that would be easier to replace in the future. But I'm not sure
how feasible that is... Any ideas?

Replace the Idler Wheel. The rubber will have perished and it isnt
getting proper traction.

And finally, I was wondering about the cartridge wiring. I know I'll have to
replace the needle eventually, but in the cartridges state, I'd rather not
touch it. Heres a close-up pic: http://www.bunkmonkey.com/needle.jpg . I'm
not sure how the wiring is supposed to be, but I know its not supposed to be
like that. I'll be replacing the wires eventually, as its already very
touchy - tapping it will make the sound go in and out, and I'll lose the
right channel occasionally. But the reason it's like that now is that my
father couldnt find a better way to wire up the cartridge when whatever was
there originally broke. So, is there some sort of cartridge plug I can find
somewhere that I can run new wires into? So far google hasnt turned up
anything at all, and I'd rather not have to recreate this wiring when I
replace them.

That wire doesnt look genuine - and I dont know why there are pieces
of outer insulation still hanging off it.

Swap the Red and Black wires on the 2 left terminals.

When you buy a cartridge - you will often get 4 slide on "lugs" to
allow disconnection of the wires from the cartridge without having to
solder and unsolder them. I havent seen them sold separately though

Old November 15th 03, 03:06 AM
Joe Bott

"KLR" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:31:40 -0600, "Joe Bott" wrote:

Most noticably is the turntable speed. When it's "working", it runs

slightly
slower than it should. But if I dont use the jukebox for a while, the
turntable sticks. It wont spin at all, until I help it. snip

Replace the Idler Wheel. The rubber will have perished and it isnt
getting proper traction.

You know, I didnt check that at all. Sure enough, I turned it on and the
turntable wasnt spinning. I pulled off the turntable and the motor spindle
was zipping along just fine. I suppose a good cleaning or a decent O-ring
would be a quick fix. Beyond that, is there somewhere that sells replacement
idler wheels? I found a few, but I couldnt tell if any would fit.

And finally, I was wondering about the cartridge wiring. I know I'll have

replace the needle eventually, but in the cartridges state, I'd rather

not
touch it. Heres a close-up pic: http://www.bunkmonkey.com/needle.jpg .

snip

That wire doesnt look genuine - and I dont know why there are pieces
of outer insulation still hanging off it.

Oh, it definately isnt. If I remember correctly, the wire at the cartridge
deteriorated so much that my father cut the wires and spliced on new ones.
I'm not sure why he didnt replace the whole wires. As far as the huge chunks
of insulation, I dont know either. But I'll eventually be replacing all
of the wires from the cartridge to the amp anyways. I occasionally lose
sound in one side, and I get odd amp noise, so I'm hoping that will help.

Swap the Red and Black wires on the 2 left terminals.

Eep, I'll give it a shot.

When you buy a cartridge - you will often get 4 slide on "lugs" to
allow disconnection of the wires from the cartridge without having to
solder and unsolder them. I havent seen them sold separately though

Interesting. I'll have to do some more searching, I was expecting some sort
of standard cartridge plug. If it just had 4 individual connectors, I might
be able to come up with something.

Thanks a bunch!
Joe

Old November 15th 03, 02:31 PM
Dirt poor John

"Joe Bott" wrote in message

"KLR" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:31:40 -0600, "Joe Bott" wrote:

snip

You know, I didnt check that at all. Sure enough, I turned it on and the
turntable wasnt spinning. I pulled off the turntable and the motor spindle
was zipping along just fine. I suppose a good cleaning or a decent O-ring
would be a quick fix. Beyond that, is there somewhere that sells

replacement
idler wheels? I found a few, but I couldnt tell if any would fit

Thanks a bunch!
Joe

BILL TURNER; can
"re-tire" your idler, he hangs out over at
RAR+P

DPJ