Wurlitzer 3400 problems

Old August 20th 03, 06:51 AM
Bob E.

Default Wurlitzer 3400 problems

Ron Lyons wrote:

Big surprise right? LOL from what I hear these are pretty accident prone.
Anyways, I like the juke, and I'm trying to get it working, here's what it's
doing... (and yes, I've ordered a service manual that's headed this way).

Sorry to hear of your problems...I can't help, but there are two
things your post made me think of:

1) I just got my latest "Always Jukin" magazine today, and the 3400
'Statesman' was Dr. Know-It-All's featured model this month. Read
all about it! Just a serendipity thing, sorry...no repair info, but
the flyer is reproduced and Dr. K-I-A goes through all the features
of the model. I didn't realize that the "mural" on the top was
animated.

2) Our city has an annual free trash pickup, and a few years ago, a
co-worker came back from lunch and told me he saw a jukebox sitting
out at the curb on his way back to the office. I drove by and saw
it was a 'Statesman' but don't remember noticing if it was a 200,
160 or 100-play box. Anyway, I was halfway thinking of going back
to the office to get a truck, but within a couple minutes a couple
of guys were backing *their* truck up to it. I wasn't too put out,
as I had just finished doing my first juke (Seeburg) and wasn't sure
I wanted a 70's box as a second project. The funny thing is, I later
saw the box at an auction site that is near me...guess the other
guys either got fed up trying to get it to go, or just were looking
for a quick buck. I later heard that this model had its problems too.

That's all! --Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)
Old August 20th 03, 07:05 AM
Ron Lyons

Ha, thanks for the stories, I just got it and (KNOCK ON WOOD) I don't think
it's going to be too bad to fix. The animation doesn't work on mine either,
but that's trivial, I imagine it HAS to be the motor, lol.

Ron

Old August 20th 03, 05:16 PM
Russel Willoughby

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 05:39:30 GMT, "Ron Lyons"
wrote:

If you put a credit on the machine (which I've done with the free play
switch), everything works fine. You press the number, and the buttons lock
in. The read in carriage spins at the bottom, but DOESN'T pull/pop any pins
up. It eventually stops, and sometimes stops as if it's popped the pin up
(maybe only moves a quarter turn, then stops).

Mandatory maintenance on these Wurlitzers includes:

-- Clean the big selection PCB at the bottom of the mech. Just remove
the whole selector (three allen bolts) and put it on your workbench.
Taking it apart and cleaning it will take you a couple of hours, but
it's not too complicated. I use very fine steel wool to clean the
contacts, followed by rubbing alcohol. Once it's totally clean and
dry, I apply a very thin film of Lubriplate or teflon grease to
protect the contacts from further wear and corrosion. Don't forget to
clean and tension the wipers.

-- Check the override assembly, located to the rear of the magazine
under a small metal cover. Clean and adjust the leaf switch. Often the
moving metal parts are totally gummed up. Use light oil to free them,
and wipe up all excess oil.

-- Check all microswitches. You likely have one or more of that work
intermittently if at all. If in doubt, replace with new. All but the
readout switches are available brand new as exact replacements.

The dirty selection PCB is probably what's causing your machine not to
select, and the override is probably to blame for the magazine not
turning... but there are many other possibilities. If you don't have
one, buy the service manual, and make sure you get the big foldout
schematic. It has simplified schematic diagrams for each step in the
entire operation sequence. These make it much, much easier to
troubleshoot this machine.

Oh, and as for the animation motor... I've seen three or four 3400's,
and none of them had working animation. I didn't even realize until
recently that it had animation at all! The motors seem to get very
noisy and then die, and the rubber belts get worn out. I'd like to see
one that actually works.

Good luck...

Old August 20th 03, 10:39 PM
Ron Lyons

Thank you for your help, Russel. I'll do what you mentioned over the next
little bit and then reply back with how it worked. As for the animation,
I've pretty much given up on that ever working, lol. I'll check out what
you mentioned, is victoryglass the best place to get those replacement
microswitches?

Ron

Old August 21st 03, 05:19 AM
Russel Willoughby

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:39:08 GMT, "Ron Lyons"
wrote:

Thank you for your help, Russel. I'll do what you mentioned over the next
little bit and then reply back with how it worked. As for the animation,
I've pretty much given up on that ever working, lol. I'll check out what
you mentioned, is victoryglass the best place to get those replacement
microswitches?

I have not noticed those switches in Victory's catalog. Try a general
electronics supplier, like Mouser, Newark, Allied, etc. Some of those
switches may even be available under their original Micro Switch part
numbers -- like the V3L-121-D8. For others you will just have to
visually match up an appropriate switch.

This may be useful too:

http://oeiweb.omron.com/Xref_Search.asp

Omron makes versions of these switches, and this will let you
cross-reference by the original MicroSwitch part number. Omron's
switches are generally cheaper, and work just fine in my experience.
They may be easier to find, too.