Rockola 467 only selects B side

Old April 13th 19, 05:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Lou Hiltz

Default Rockola 467 only selects B side

Hi all,

I'm new to the group. I'm a vintage radio and record player guy. A lady asked me to look at her jukebox, so here I am.

I have two issues on which I am now stumped.

1) The box will only select the B side of the record. It does just what it is supposed to do and it's fun to watch it work. However, the readout carriage just flips past the little lever on the wobble wheel when an A side is selected. When it flips past it arcs so I'm assuming there is voltage where is should be.

2) The audio sounds like wind blowing into a microphone. I wonder what type of component might need to be checked out.

Thanks so much from South Carolina
Old February 5th 20, 02:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
KF

lauantai 13. huhtikuuta 2019 19.20.05 UTC+3 Lou Hiltz kirjoitti:
Hi all,

I'm new to the group. I'm a vintage radio and record player guy. A lady asked me to look at her jukebox, so here I am.

I have two issues on which I am now stumped.

1) The box will only select the B side of the record. It does just what it is supposed to do and it's fun to watch it work. However, the readout carriage just flips past the little lever on the wobble wheel when an A side is selected. When it flips past it arcs so I'm assuming there is voltage where is should be.

2) The audio sounds like wind blowing into a microphone. I wonder what type of component might need to be checked out.

Thanks so much from South Carolina

Hi,

I have Rockola 460 and had the same problem, exept my machine selected only A-sides. The read-out arm didn`t care about the pins at all, no matter what I did:
- checked fuses, didn`t replace any relays or nothing, just pulled them off once, checked pins for warps and placed them back
- flipped the wobble plate pins up and down by hand thinking they are stuck or something
- checked solenoid on the wobble plate and lid near pushbuttons
- cleaned the copper contact stripes from both sides of the plate
- took read-out arm off, cleaned all the contacts with sandpaper, same thing for the other side: little tricky trying to get paper under the contact clips while all parts around in place, but can be done

After doing all this, it still refused to select B-sides from any of the records. And after triplechecking and still no B-sides, my brains started to prepare for meltdown. These machines can cause you a real headache but in a good way, an obsession too! I didn`t give up, at some point the whole machine would stop and do nothing, blown fuses etc.

But when I was about to flip my lid, I noticed - while the read-out arm was doing its "normal thing"- rotating endlessly around the wobble plate - that under the scan switch there`s a microswitch. That`s the A-B switch and from that goes a lever towads the back wall, right between the carousel and the mech frame, bolted from the other end near the basket motor. At the right side of the carousel there`s a drive gear which has two grooves in it, outer and inner and a small gap between them. Somewhere in the middle of the lever is a small " knob" that rotates in the grooves: outer groove is A-side and when B-side is selected, the " knob" should slip to inner groove from the little gap causing the lever to rise a bit allowing the A-B switch to connect.

My jukebox had this problem, the "knob" never slipped from the gap to the inner groove so no B-sides for me. Took the lever off: backbolt off and with a little force pushed the lever first to right to get the knob out of the groove, then downwards to release it, it`s a tight fit but you dont`t have to take extra parts out to do it. Foud out the knob was so jammed with old grease it was hardly moving: cleaned, oiled and re-assembled it and it helped. Your problem maybe the opposite, knob is constantly rotating the inner groove: check the lever, knob may not be able to slip to outer groove. You can test it by pushing the lever down from the end by the micro switch while read-out arm rotates.

What comes to the sound, check needle. Probably you`re going to need a cap kit for the amp as the capacitors are perhaps worn out.

Hope this helps, have a good one and good luck!

- another newbie from Finland -
- ng