Google rec.clllecting newsgroup

Old February 21st 05, 02:58 AM
Ralphael1

Default Google rec.clllecting newsgroup

Help, help, help. AOL has cancelled the newsgroup and now I am
attempting to access through Google. Problem: all windows are too large
for my screen. Anyone know how to fix it??? I am using windows XT.

Thanks to all that took the time to read this post.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old February 21st 05, 06:41 AM

Hi Raphael,

How small is your screen? I am not familiar with XT, did you mean XP?

One thing you may want to try is this:

On the toolbar go to View
When you have the dropdown click on Text Size
Select One of the sizes

I also seem to remember a browser setting that will resize a web page
to the available screen but that may make everything else not fit. Also
it depends on how the web page is designed and coded. Try the text size
first, it usually works. I will dig around for the browser setting and
get back to you, if someone hasn't already done so.

Jerry B

Old February 21st 05, 01:17 PM
Ralphael1

Ralphael1 wrote:
Help, help, help. AOL has cancelled the newsgroup and now I am
attempting to access through Google. Problem: all windows are too

large
for my screen. Anyone know how to fix it??? I am using windows XT.

Thanks to all that took the time to read this post.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Ralphael reply: There is no "view" on my tool bar in this website.
Another problem: there is also an advertisement of Kenmore Stsmps
double printed on my Google rec collecting web page. I may have to seek
another source.

Old February 21st 05, 02:46 PM
George

Raphael,

Perhaps too much sand from a recent missive from SNA has worked its way
into your computer!

Anyway, XT should not have much to do with the size of the windows
that appear when accessing Google Groups. What version of AOL are you
using? Under the "Window" setting at the top of the screen, try
clicking on "Forget Window Size and Position." Then try to access
Google groups again. That should let AOL automatically resize the
window to fit the screen.

Do other websites appear in a normal (not too large) size.

George

Old February 21st 05, 04:29 PM
Loepp

I remember a time when accessing the ng through Google, having everything
run off to the right but now it doesn't happen (so I will try to find if I
changed a setting). I just tried 3 different browsers and looked with all
the different options that Google offers; fixed text, proportional, as a
tree, titles only, no frame. My old Netscape 4.7 had no trouble but all of
the ads were gone on the right and nothing looked right (or the same as NS
7.0). Netscape 7.0 looked and worked the best. IE, the newest browser,
seemed to have the ads over the text and things didn't look just right. My
read on the situation is that Google's script/html, whatever is the
culprit, is read differently by different browsers. So either the browser
is too old or the browser settings are off. These are my settings and they
may be wrong.

Netscape 4.7 preference settings for browsing:
'use my fonts overriding page-specific fonts'
'enable style sheets'
font size '24'

Netscape 4.7 preference settings for newsgroup (not applicable for Google
as it isn't a ng)
display plain text messages and articles with fixed width fonts
wrap incoming plain text messages to window width
open newsgroups in messenger window

Netscape 7.0 preference settings, Advanced: everything in Scripts and
Plugins is checked 'on' allowing the webpage to change everything.
monospace font size 13

Internet Explorer preferences settings, Webcontent: almost everything is
checked 'on' except 'use my style sheet' and 'use colorsync'
font size 16

Option for ng reader, YA-Newswatcher. If you can download this it is
recommended by many as a good one.
Maybe Eudora (don't know if this works for ngs)

TL

Old February 22nd 05, 04:29 AM

On 20 Feb 2005 18:58:40 -0800, "Ralphael1" wrote:

Help, help, help. AOL has cancelled the newsgroup and now I am
attempting to access through Google. Problem: all windows are too large
for my screen. Anyone know how to fix it??? I am using windows XT.

Thanks to all that took the time to read this post.

Raph! No wonder you're getting problems with that old XT computer of
yours!

Victor will have to appropriate fundage for Window Clerk #1 to get it
upgraded.

All in favor, vote YES! at the next SNA conference.

As to helping out, I'd need a bit more info here. You mean IE has
windows that are too big for your screen?
Old February 22nd 05, 04:32 AM

On 20 Feb 2005 18:58:40 -0800, "Ralphael1" wrote:

Help, help, help. AOL has cancelled the newsgroup and now I am
attempting to access through Google. Problem: all windows are too large
for my screen. Anyone know how to fix it??? I am using windows XT.

Thanks to all that took the time to read this post.

Ralph, try using a different web browser and adjusting the font size /
window size. You may be trying to shell out to the browser from AOL
and it may be burping.

So, once you log onto AOL, then select IE or install Netscape and try
that. Since you have an XP PC, you should have enough RAM and all
that for the task.
Old February 22nd 05, 09:08 AM
John Ray

J. A. Mc. wrote:

Strangely, do a Google for "free newsgroup server"
there are quite a few out there - most don't carry binary groups, but this
is not a problem here.

The trick is to find a free server which allows posting to groups as
well as reading them; I don't think there are many of these.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old February 22nd 05, 03:28 PM

Ralphael1 wrote:
Another problem: there is also an advertisement of Kenmore Stsmps
double printed on my Google rec collecting web page. I may have to

seek
another source.

Yes, this is a bit of a PITA in the new Google and applies to all NGs.
Pressing control/A will unravel the text from the adverts (on IE
anyway, dunno about other browsers).

Chris

Coins, Google, Yahoo Reid Goldsborough Coins 45 September 17th 04 12:47 PM
Ira has been served! Ira Stein Coins 53 May 8th 04 08:48 PM
Google is poor on newsgroup searches John Stone Coins 7 October 31st 03 12:57 PM
No Google is Good Google TC8trax 8 Track Tapes 1 September 28th 03 02:29 AM
Promoting rec.collecting.coins Newsgroup Bill Krummel Coins 12 July 10th 03 01:41 PM