The best coin you found in circulation?

Old October 28th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
L.W.

Default The best coin you found in circulation?

I liked reading the replies to the thread about your lowest mintage coins,
so I thought I'd start a similar one.

What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll searches?

Mine is and 1864 1c in EF found in a roll search years ago. I think it's the
copper-nickel variety, though not positive.

-Gary

Old October 29th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
WheatPenny

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:50:28 -0400, "L.W."
climbed to the top of the minaret and sang out:

I liked reading the replies to the thread about your lowest mintage coins,
so I thought I'd start a similar one.

What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll searches?

Mine is and 1864 1c in EF found in a roll search years ago. I think it's the
copper-nickel variety, though not positive.

-Gary

an 1858 Flying eagle cent in G-4 I got in change from Rite Aid about
15 years ago.
---

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

(Charles M. Schulz)
Old October 29th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"L.W." wrote in message
I liked reading the replies to the thread about your lowest mintage coins,
so I thought I'd start a similar one.

What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll
searches?

Mine is and 1864 1c in EF found in a roll search years ago. I think it's
the copper-nickel variety, though not positive.

-Gary

Barber half, late 1890s, pulled from roll about two-three years ago. Just
the other day, an employee told me that she keeps fogetting to bring me an
1819 US large cent she was given in change when at a Dollar General store in
a very small northeastern Oklahoma community.

Bill

Old October 29th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mark Cooper

"L.W." wrote in
:

I liked reading the replies to the thread about your lowest mintage
coins, so I thought I'd start a similar one.

What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll
searches?

Mine is and 1864 1c in EF found in a roll search years ago. I think
it's the copper-nickel variety, though not positive.

-Gary

1873P seated liberty dime when I worked in a grocery store.

Mark
Old October 29th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dik T. Winter

In article "L.W." writes:
What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll searches?

What about a 3 pence silver 1918 from the UK? No roll searches involved.
Old October 29th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
kodakoda

1932-d quarter
1938-d half
1916 liberty quarter no date

Old October 29th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bri

"L.W." wrote in message
I liked reading the replies to the thread about your lowest mintage coins,
so I thought I'd start a similar one.

What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll

searches?

Mine is and 1864 1c in EF found in a roll search years ago. I think it's

the
copper-nickel variety, though not positive.

-Gary

I don't have one best coin found ;-)
The oldest was an AG3 1905 Liberty V nickel.
The best was probably a whole roll of BU gem+ 2003 Lincolns, a whole roll of
BU '83P Kennedy halves or a whole roll of BU gem+ '99D Roosevelts. I also
have partial tubes of all denominations of nothing but gem BU coins found in
bank rolls or in change on top of the usual wheat cent hoard.
Have an old whiskey jar about half full of BU red Lincolns found in roll
searches and made up a complete BU set from 1957 to now with some RPM's
included.
Found a '39D Jefferson VF last month.
Found a 1917 roll of circulated wheats a few months back.

Old October 29th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Newsgroups

"L.W." wrote in message
I liked reading the replies to the thread about your lowest mintage coins,
so I thought I'd start a similar one.

What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll

searches?

A VF 1914-D Lincoln cent.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
www.classicalcoins.com

Old October 29th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

e wrote:
In article .net, "bri" wrote:

"L.W." wrote in message
[...]

best pre 64 find, a vg 21d half, post 65 the 1915 half this
year. my grandfather's collection was complete morgan and
peace from circulation, but he started in 1894 when he got
to the u.s. all were replaced for better coins many times
until he quit searching in 1970.
disclaimer...they are locked up in banks in another state
and i never keep info about where at home. if you want a
hernia from common date wheats, break into my house.
no silver here, either.

poorre e, little ****, Ira won't sell him the big coins...

oly

Old October 29th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"L.W." wrote in message
I liked reading the replies to the thread about your lowest mintage coins,
so I thought I'd start a similar one.

What is the best coin you've found in circulation, including roll
searches?

Mine is and 1864 1c in EF found in a roll search years ago. I think it's
the copper-nickel variety, though not positive.

-Gary

I have said this before but to the best of my knowledge, I have never found
a key coin,
semi-key coin or a semi semi key coin in circulation. I have never found a
recognized variety either though I found one dime that looked a bit like a
die clash and gave it away. I never was sure.

Now way back in the 60's as a small child I pulled Walkers, Mercs,
Franklins, a Peace dollar or two, Buffs and many wheat cents from my parents
change and the local grocer's till.

Not counting that I would have to say the best find I have gotten in change
would be a common
Silver Washington Quarter or Roosevelt dime.

Best find from a bank would be a 64 Kennedy. Best find from a small hoard I
bought by the pound was a Zinc Austrian coin over-struck from a zinc Nazi
coin. Traded that coin to a semi-nationally recognized coin dealer (who
will remain nameless) for several hundred dollars of his inventory I
actually wanted.

Dale
I rarely do any searches anymore but occasionally will get some rolls from
the bank.
Too disappointing.....