Trying to Sell on Ebay

Old August 12th 03, 09:04 PM
Art Layton

Default Trying to Sell on Ebay

I have no success trying to sell several books on eBay recently. I
think I have priced them low enough to start; complete descriptions,
pictures. And any book I try to sell is in very good or better
condition. But no offers! For example, the auction expired on a copy
of Patrick Woodroffe's book, "Mythopoeikon". There were other copies
on eBay at the same time that sold. Mine didn't.

Looking for any recommendations on improving the likelihood that the
few books I want to sell can be sold on eBay.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old August 12th 03, 10:01 PM
Denise Enck

"MindElec" wrote in message
On 12 Aug 2003 13:04:40 -0700, (Art Layton)
declared:

I have no success trying to sell several books on eBay recently. I
think I have priced them low enough to start; complete descriptions,
pictures. And any book I try to sell is in very good or better
condition. But no offers! For example, the auction expired on a copy
of Patrick Woodroffe's book, "Mythopoeikon". There were other copies
on eBay at the same time that sold. Mine didn't.

Looking for any recommendations on improving the likelihood that the
few books I want to sell can be sold on eBay.

july and august are ebay's slowest months. without seeing an example
of an auction it's hard to say much else. if you want to email a
link, i'll be glad to take a look.

robert

yes, things are a bit slow at the moment on eBay, but beginning to pick up a
bit again, I think ~~

Also, it's best to avoid competition & list books when there are no others
already listed.
(The others may have had lower starting bids as well.)

Don't get too discouraged. I've listed books on week for $10 without a sale,
only to have them sell for $40 a week or two later. It all depends on what
else is being offered, who's bidding that week, etc.

Maybe just give the books a rest for a bit, then try in a couple weeks or in
September ~ eBay's always hoppin' in the fall.

good luck ~

cheers ~
Denise

--
Empty Mirror Books
www.emptymirrorbooks.com

Denise Enck - Quanta Webdesign www.quantawebdesign.com
websites for organizations, individuals, small business, & the arts

Old August 12th 03, 10:23 PM
Kelley Roberts

if there are other listings of the same book, don't expect to see a lot of
action. Also, where was it listed? Sometimes where you put it makes a
difference. I've listed books under one listing like a sports book under
books, nonfiction, but it didn't sell, but when I put it under sports,
sports memorbilia, it sold easily. Of course, there's the obvious...did you
spell Mythopoeikon correctly? Photos help sell a book also. I once listed
a book in a series as number 5 in the heading, but the photo was number 6 in
the series.....no takers for that one.
Bill
"Denise Enck" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old August 12th 03, 11:46 PM
Kris Baker

"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...
I have no success trying to sell several books on eBay recently. I
think I have priced them low enough to start; complete descriptions,
pictures. And any book I try to sell is in very good or better
condition. But no offers! For example, the auction expired on a copy
of Patrick Woodroffe's book, "Mythopoeikon". There were other copies
on eBay at the same time that sold. Mine didn't.

Looking for any recommendations on improving the likelihood that the
few books I want to sell can be sold on eBay.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

Without knowing your seller's ID, it's really hard to compare the
items. If you don't want to post your selling ID, I understand...
but it would help.

I've found that eBay is very seasonal, but heavily-wanted items
will sell well at any time of the year. The ordinary items, with
heavier competition, are best left for the September-April
months.

Kris

Old August 13th 03, 07:13 AM
MindElec

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:01:39 GMT, "Denise Enck"
declared:

Also, it's best to avoid competition & list books when there are no others
already listed.
(The others may have had lower starting bids as well.)

i've had many exceptions to that rule. often if mine has a BIN and
the others don't, the BIN will get hit even if it's 4x the other
opening bids.

Don't get too discouraged. I've listed books on week for $10 without a sale,
only to have them sell for $40 a week or two later. It all depends on what
else is being offered, who's bidding that week, etc.

very true, just had one of those this week :-)

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old August 13th 03, 12:27 PM
diane.walker

"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...
I have no success trying to sell several books on eBay recently. I
think I have priced them low enough to start; complete descriptions,
pictures. And any book I try to sell is in very good or better
condition. But no offers! For example, the auction expired on a copy
of Patrick Woodroffe's book, "Mythopoeikon". There were other copies
on eBay at the same time that sold. Mine didn't.

Looking for any recommendations on improving the likelihood that the
few books I want to sell can be sold on eBay.

Art Layton
Stamford CT

Ebay is dead at the moment Art. I'm just putting a few books on to keep

customers interest up in my page. I wont be putting anything decent on until
the end of september. This is a very good time to buy, not sell on ebay.
Diane
http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/romford2415/

Old August 13th 03, 06:31 PM
Tom

Hi Art,

A few general tips that may increase your listed/sold ratio, that I noticed
with my buyers hat on:

Description for Eyre Affair is a little vague - My listings are done in html
template form in an HTML editor, and are about 10-12 inches long on the
page, including info about me, postage costs, accepted payments etc, and
generally a fair few lines of description, with number of pages, edition,
publisher, condition, index/illustrations/glossary description. Since I have
done this my sales have increased to about 90% of what I list, and around
98% if relisted

A number of photos is good, however the services ebay provides arnt great -
too small! I use a free image host and link to the pics directly, usually
take about 3.

You only ship inside the US - I would therefore not be able to bid on your
books - and was thinking about it on the Eyre Affair. With paypal shipping
overseas could not be simpler.

You only accept Paypal from a bank account - Again, I am out of the running.
The fees are small amounts really - I just roll them into the
shipping/handling charge - usually come out just about even.

I hope these general tips help - while many tell me its a bad time to sell
on eBay, I have not been doing too badly myself, making more than I expected
on most lots!

Cheers,

Tom L-M

ebay username: tommole

"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Just sold one of my
listings last night (buy it now for $10; a duplicate holding). I have
always felt that if a certain title is for sale on eBay and selling,
that would be the best time to post the same book. Perhaps not?

My eBay name is shebatwo, if anyone wants to look at my listings.

Art Layton
Stamford, CT

Old August 13th 03, 06:50 PM
Kris Baker

"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. Just sold one of my
listings last night (buy it now for $10; a duplicate holding). I have
always felt that if a certain title is for sale on eBay and selling,
that would be the best time to post the same book. Perhaps not?

If there were multiple bidders, and not others on eBay at the
same time, it's a pretty good move. I'd think that bidders would
have the title in mind, and look for other copies when they lose
the auction they initially bid on. But...you have to move quickly
and get yours up within hours of the other book's closing.

My eBay name is shebatwo, if anyone wants to look at my listings.

Art Layton
Stamford, CT

I've had pretty good luck with books in the past 30 days,
including some prices that were much higher than recent
sales of the identical books. But...I'm only listing juvenile
books right now, and all types and conditions, figuring
that "back to school" time gets people thinking in that
direction.

I have one right now, that ends tonight, sitting at $39.
I've sold five other copies, with a history high (for me)
of $75. This one's the nicest, and has had some
good interest, so I'm thinking I'll at least beat the
past few week's eBay sales of $80 and $81. Maybe
not. It might sit there at $39, while my "poor" copy
sold for $46 last month.

Based on my past experience, though, I don't list
nonfiction on eBay, unless I know before I buy that
it's going to sell well. I would suggest, though,
making sure that you always get the author's name
in the title - even if you have to leave off the word
"experience". eBay titles don't have to make sense,
and you can use upper case judiciously to break
up the wording (rather than punctuation, which can
screw up search results).

Your auction for the 23-volume set doesn't mention
that it IS a set in the title, making your selling price
seem high (and potential bidders not clicking on the
item). I'd have used a title like:

Vietnam Experience 23 VOLUMES Boston Publishing

Get rid of the reserve (they can be the proverbial
kiss of death) and start it at a reasonable price for
23 volumes, with a Buy-It-Now you'd like to get for
set. Also, put up a picture of the set, not just one
book. Make them understand what a great set
they're getting!

JMO, of course.

eBay is hard, and you have to think like a bookseller
and NOT like a bookseller, all at the same time.

Kris

Old August 14th 03, 12:35 PM
M Hill

In article ,
MindElec wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:01:39 GMT, "Denise Enck"
declared:

Also, it's best to avoid competition & list books when there are no others
already listed.
(The others may have had lower starting bids as well.)

i've had many exceptions to that rule. often if mine has a BIN and
the others don't, the BIN will get hit even if it's 4x the other
opening bids.

BIN ?? whazzit??

Matthew Hill

snip