PR DC Supershow Blue

Old October 5th 03, 07:17 PM
Nancy Handy

Default PR DC Supershow Blue

Have you heard that Private Reserve is not producing any more 2003 DC
Supershow Blue ink? That is unacceptable!

If Private Reserve stops production of 2003 DC SUPERSHOW BLUE, they're
making a huge mistake! To hell with political correctness and
"fairness". They're an ink manufacturer, and they finally got an ink
color right - none of that namby-pamby sissy pastel-colored new crap
they were hawking.

2003 DC Supershow Blue was a brilliant color and the best in their line.
You finally find a favorite new color, and they pull it right out from
under you. It's Halloween - trick or treat? TRICK!

Doesn't anyone remember what happened with the limited edition ink, Omas
Roma 2000 Blue, which was wildly popular? Omas realized it was huge
mistake to stop producing that "limited edition" ink and made it part of
their regular product line. I heard they removed the "2000" but kept
the ink color unchanged. Brilliant business decision, kudos to Omas!

Herbin has some great new colors and I hear their new sapphire is very
similar. I won't buy another drop of Private Reserve ink if they go
through with that decision. Yes, I feel strongly about my favorite ink
colors. And no, I won't apologize here for boycotting a company that
makes stupid decisions. I have the right to that opinion - save the
"Life is too short" drivel.

And if the problem is caused by the DC show organizers, then that fact
should be made public!

Like Omas, PR can change the name of their ink and continue to sell the
same shade. They can call it Private Reserve Washington DC Blue. It
would be the best thing to come out of Washington DC!

Let's hope Private Reserve thinks long and hard and does the right thing
for their customers.
Private Reserve, if you can't give me, the customer, the color I
want then you can store ALL the rest of your colored inks neatly stacked
in pretty boxes on *your* shelves because they won't make it to my
shelves.

Nancy

Old October 6th 03, 12:13 AM
mz

Nancy Handy wrote:
Have you heard that Private Reserve is not producing any more 2003 DC
Supershow Blue ink? That is unacceptable!

If Private Reserve stops production of 2003 DC SUPERSHOW BLUE, they're
making a huge mistake! To hell with political correctness and
"fairness". They're an ink manufacturer, and they finally got an ink
color right - none of that namby-pamby sissy pastel-colored new crap
they were hawking.

You go, girl! I feel the same way about their pastel colors. None will
ever darken my doorway. If someone happens to give me a gift of one,
well, who couldn't use an extra empty bottle for mixing ink?

2003 DC Supershow Blue was a brilliant color and the best in their line.
You finally find a favorite new color, and they pull it right out from
under you. It's Halloween - trick or treat? TRICK!

Doesn't anyone remember what happened with the limited edition ink, Omas
Roma 2000 Blue, which was wildly popular? Omas realized it was huge
mistake to stop producing that "limited edition" ink and made it part of
their regular product line. I heard they removed the "2000" but kept
the ink color unchanged. Brilliant business decision, kudos to Omas!

snip

While I have some of the other PR shades of blue, I haven't tried the
Supershow Blue. The main reason is that when I heard Omas was
discontinuing their Roma 2000, one of my favorite blues, I really
stocked up. Descendants a couple of generations removed might have to
buy some of the resurrected version, but not me.

You might consider doing the same, and then ignoring PR. Vote with your
money. That's the fastest way to get a company's attention. If PR
reverses their decision, you can give away a few bottles as gifts, save
a few for the collectible aspect if the name has changed, and then start
buying PR inks, again. Since I also stocked up on the only other Omas
color I cared for, Amerigo Vespucci, which truly went the way of the
dodo, there's no need for me to follow my own advice.

Just my $0.02
Mark Z.

Old October 6th 03, 04:33 AM
kcat

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 18:17:17 GMT, (Nancy Handy)
wrote:

Have you heard that Private Reserve is not producing any more 2003 DC
Supershow Blue ink? That is unacceptable!

nope - where did you hear this?

"fairness". They're an ink manufacturer, and they finally got an ink
color right - none of that namby-pamby sissy pastel-colored new crap
they were hawking.

hee hee.. well, I did just order some of the purple haze and shell
pink. But they're for mixing porpoises.. purposes. :P

I haven't tried DCSSB yet - I'm told I should. I'm not a big fan of
"blue" - kinda ho hum. But I'm guessing I best find a bottle or two
soon.

Herbin has some great new colors and I hear their new sapphire is very
similar.

it looks a little too anemic still for my tastes. Colors colors
colors. Love 'em.

I won't buy another drop of Private Reserve ink if they go
through with that decision. Yes, I feel strongly about my favorite ink
colors. And no, I won't apologize here for boycotting a company that
makes stupid decisions. I have the right to that opinion - save the
"Life is too short" drivel.

well - you know - one thing to do is make sure you/we/DCSSB fans do is
keep them in the loop. With complaints about SITB to the company, the
company responded. They aren't exactly the huge manufacturing system
of companies like Parker in terms of ink so perhaps they will be
responsive to such things. I would hope so 'cause it would be hard
for me to give up Avacado, Blue Suede..

Like Omas, PR can change the name of their ink and continue to sell the
same shade. They can call it Private Reserve Washington DC Blue. It
would be the best thing to come out of Washington DC!

is it possible that they are saying they're "discontinuing" it to meet
some contractual thingamajig (highly technical term) but that they
have plans to continue production later under a new name?

Private Reserve, if you can't give me, the customer, the color I
want then you can store ALL the rest of your colored inks neatly stacked
in pretty boxes on *your* shelves because they won't make it to my
shelves.

rowrrrrr hisssss. :-)
Old October 6th 03, 04:58 PM
mz

Ken Freeman wrote:

snip

Ken
so (sorta) correct posting can be done in Outlook Express by cutting and
pasting, but it's a pain.

Thanks for taking the time, Ken. I, for one, appreciate your effort.

When discussing OE-QuoteFix in my post about netiquette
conventions, I forgot to mention that OE-QuoteFix acts like a
plug-in for Outlook Express. It maintains all your original
settings and doesn't mess with the Address Book. Along with a few
other bells and whistles, it makes it much easier to bottom post
or inter-leave your reply. When installed, it provides a shortcut
to start Outlook Express with OE-QuoteFix in effect. You can
still use Outlook Express without OE-QuoteFix any time you want
simply by starting Outlook Express as you normally would.

http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

Again, no connection to OE-QuoteFix except as user. Don't forget,
it's freeware.

Mark Z.

Old October 6th 03, 05:03 PM
kcat

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 06:59:02 -0400, "Ken Freeman"
wrote:

nope - where did you hear this?

I looked on the PR website yesterday, and PR says they are sold out. If we
want any, we have to go to the retailers who may have some left.

ah.. so not exactly the same thing as "we're never going to produce it
again."

Actually, didn't they say early on that it would be a DC show exclusive?

That was my impression. But I also had the impression that it might
not be a decision carved in stone. And as noted before, PR has been
amenable to input from their customers - so it would be wise for them
to be aware of the interest in this ink. Of course, from what I
understand, a lot of inks that are now so beloved and desired never
sold well when they were in production (Sheaffer Burgundy.) We may be
among the vocal few and not really know just how much of this ink
sold. I have personally put off purchasing anything because I wasn't
sure I couldn't just mix the blue I wanted from inks that are readily
available. but what the heck, I bought two bottles today. :P

Ken
so (sorta) correct posting can be done in Outlook Express by cutting and
pasting, but it's a pain.

especially when people like to use pretty fonts.

Old October 6th 03, 06:46 PM
michael ellis

I believe that it's not mandatory for Private Reserve to continue Supershow
Blue because some users demand it. It was issued out on a special
circumstance.

When a LE sells out and is no longer available can we demand that a few more
be made because we want one or for that matter, a watch, stamp or coin.
Perhaps we need to work with theories not products.

Old October 6th 03, 09:36 PM
kcat

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:46:35 GMT, "michael ellis"
wrote:

I believe that it's not mandatory for Private Reserve to continue Supershow
Blue because some users demand it. It was issued out on a special
circumstance.

of course it's not mandatory - but it is good business to listen to
your customers when their requests are reasonable. see below.

When a LE sells out and is no longer available can we demand that a few more
be made because we want one or for that matter, a watch, stamp or coin.
Perhaps we need to work with theories not products.

being purely practical - inks do not require special lathe templates,
rare metals or plastics, and other items that are part of the LE
appeal. You're comparing apples and oranges. Watches, stamps and
coins require special processing as well. This is why these things
are worth hundreds and often thousands of dollars.

PR only sells DC Blue for $7.60 - same as it's other inks. That
doesn't scream "too costly to continue" to me.

There's nothing (I can imagine) spectacularly new or costly in DC blue
that would hurt PR's profit by making more. They're not a huge outfit
that can't adjust to producing an additional colour - just as they
have done with the pastel inks which, IMO, have a pretty small market
compared to darker inks. Especially given that DC blue seems to fill
a gap left by the demise of Penman Sapphire. I know I've read many
times about how someone would love to see an ink that looked like PS
without the problems it had. I would expect more people to buy this
blue than will buy "shell pink" or that odd lime pastel.

It sounds like the issue is one of legality and ownership. Since we
can't know the contractual obligations between PR and the DC Supershow
organizers (assuming there are any) then we can only guess whether or
not PR can continue the ink under a different name.

Old October 6th 03, 09:44 PM
DovR

When discussing OE-QuoteFix in my post about netiquette
conventions, I forgot to mention that OE-QuoteFix acts like a
plug-in for Outlook Express. It maintains all your original
settings and doesn't mess with the Address Book. Along with a few
other bells and whistles, it makes it much easier to bottom post
or inter-leave your reply. When installed, it provides a shortcut
to start Outlook Express with OE-QuoteFix in effect. You can
still use Outlook Express without OE-QuoteFix any time you want
simply by starting Outlook Express as you normally would.

http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

Downloaded. let's see the diff. Tnx