FBLs? Don't think so.

Old September 14th 03, 02:47 AM
Stardancer

Howdy;

I have handled about a half dozen 53S halves in MS 65 and have yet to see
anything resembling FBL.

I am really wondering if the 53S FBL exists at all?

Granted it is never going to have a strong strike.

Has anyone seen (or can provide a photo) of a PCGS MS 65 FBL of this date?

Regards

Dan

"John Carney" wrote in message
"Bill Krummel" wrote in message

"John Carney" wrote in message

It looks like this guy is going to pay thousands for a $50 coin.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

But, you are saying that just from the logic, right? You can't really

tell
from that image whether the coin is FBL or not. I would say it's not

FBL
because;

1. Why else would the picture be small enough that the critical feature

of
the coin can not be discerned? For that high a priced coin, if

legitimate,
I would surely have a close up that showed the lines.

2. And, for what other reason in the world would that coin be in an NTC
slab when the same coin, graded the same grade by PCGS or NGC would

bring
thousands and thousands more dollars?

Bill

Exactly. These are the two points, in addition to the reputation of the

seller, that would
convince me without doubt, that this coin is not a FBL Franklin.

Old September 14th 03, 02:18 PM
John Carney

"Stardancer" wrote in message
ink.net...
Howdy;

I have handled about a half dozen 53S halves in MS 65 and have yet to see
anything resembling FBL.

I am really wondering if the 53S FBL exists at all?

Granted it is never going to have a strong strike.

Has anyone seen (or can provide a photo) of a PCGS MS 65 FBL of this date?

Regards

Dan

Dan, I had the opportunity to handle a PCGS MS64FBL 1953s at the Philadelphia ANA in 2000.
The bell lines were indeed full but I wouldn't call the coin a well-struck Franklin by a
long shot.

Here is a picture of my 53S, which I picked up at a Baltimore show last spring. I was
going through a dealers stock of NGC Franklins which included 3 53S's. I'm sure you're
familiar with the typical 53S....almost no bells lines at all. This coin blew my mind. It
has one of the best strikes I've seen on a 53S with even Pass and Stow legible.

http://home.comcast.net/~jcarney44/coins/1953sngc65.JPG

Old September 14th 03, 02:33 PM
0

Has anyone seen (or can provide a photo) of a PCGS MS 65 FBL of this date?

I believe Bob Zaps had one last year on Ebay. Very nice PCGS MS64FBL. I would
have loved to add it to my collection, but alas, the price was way more than I
could stand.

WG
--------
North Carolina, First in Gold Dollars
Old September 15th 03, 01:55 AM
WinWinscenario

This coin blew my mind. It
has one of the best strikes I've seen on a 53S with even Pass and Stow
legible.

http://home.comcast.net/~jcarney44/coins/1953sngc65.JPG

John-

This is so close to FBL that I would be tempted to keep cracking it out and
submitting it! The upper lines look great, and the bottom lines are very close
to being as good as they get. I've got a lot of FBL Franks, and--despite what
the slobbers tell you--they don't insist on unbroken lines throughout if the
strike is strong. The difference between 65 and 65FBL is just SO great that it
is tempting!
Nice find!

Regards,
Tom
Old September 15th 03, 02:53 AM
John Carney

"WinWinscenario" wrote

I've got a lot of FBL Franks, and--despite what
the slobbers tell you--they don't insist on unbroken lines throughout if the
strike is strong.

Tom, I'd agree with that except for the 53S. I really don't think this coin has even a
remote shot at getting FBL. The upper lines are pretty good, but the lower ones just don't
make it.

Old September 15th 03, 08:00 PM
WinWinscenario

I've got a lot of FBL Franks, and--despite what
the slobbers tell you--they don't insist on unbroken lines throughout if

the
strike is strong.

Tom, I'd agree with that except for the 53S. I really don't think this coin
has even a
remote shot at getting FBL. The upper lines are pretty good, but the lower
ones just don't
make it.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

John-
I know you're right that the graders get Parkinsonism when they contemplate
awarding the FBL to a key date.

I can remember going to a coin show to have some of my certified Franks, ones
purchased before the slobbers started awarding the FBL designation, upgraded.
I showed them to the rep on the scene, David Lange. He merrily rolled along
with his loupe, saying "OK, OK" as he examined the '48, '48D, '57D, '59D--then
he got to the '52D, took a REAL long look, and said, "This is a semi-key date.
This one has to have nearly complete lines to get the FBL designation."

Of course, the coin was at least as strongly struck as the others, but he was
gun-shy about giving the benefit of the doubt when the difference was worth
several hundred dollars.

Regards,
Tom