Delivery confirmation on priority mail only?

Old May 4th 05, 05:45 PM
stonej

Default Delivery confirmation on priority mail only?

I tried to send something today insured first class with delivery
confirmation but the post office clerk said I could only do that
on priorty mail. I believe I read on the slip it said first
class as an option but maybe I misunderstood it.. Oh well, I didn't
feel like arguing with them so I just sent it insured.

Old May 4th 05, 06:02 PM
Scott Drummond

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
I tried to send something today insured first class with delivery
confirmation but the post office clerk said I could only do that
on priorty mail.

That's not true.

You can use Delivery Confirmation with:

First-Class Mail® Parcels - Envelopes and small packages weighing 13 ounces or
less. Applies only to boxes or envelopes measuring at least 3/4" at thickest
point.

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendm...irmationservic
e.htm

The clerks don't always get all the rules right. To be fair, there *are* a lot
of them.

Old May 4th 05, 06:03 PM
Josh Moran

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
I tried to send something today insured first class with delivery
confirmation but the post office clerk said I could only do that
on priorty mail. I believe I read on the slip it said first
class as an option but maybe I misunderstood it.. Oh well, I didn't
feel like arguing with them so I just sent it insured.

This is a recent change. It seems the only way to get confirmation of delivery on first class mail
nowadays is by Certified Letter. Otherwise you have to pay the Priority Rate plus $0.45 for
Delivery Confirmation.

--
Josh Moran
CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

Remove "these" "words" to reply direct.

Old May 4th 05, 06:40 PM
Josh Moran

"Scott Drummond" wrote in message
news:1115226193.512f4f389e9cc9a555d2df95f8cecab7@t eranews...

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
I tried to send something today insured first class with delivery
confirmation but the post office clerk said I could only do that
on priorty mail.

That's not true.

You can use Delivery Confirmation with:

First-Class Mail® Parcels - Envelopes and small packages weighing 13 ounces or
less. Applies only to boxes or envelopes measuring at least 3/4" at thickest
point.

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendm...irmationservic
e.htm

Ah, so that's the trick. Won't do it on first class letters (unless it's a really thick letter),
but a small package can still qualify.

Old May 4th 05, 08:49 PM
fletch

Isn't delivery confirmation redundant when you buy the $1.30 insurance (as
opposed to the cheap under-$50 kind). There's a tracking number on it that
should tell you when it is delivered.

I'm not sure delivery confirmation helps you that much anyway. Who's to say
someone hasn't stolen the coin from your mailbox? Now a signature, that
actually is useful to me.

--keith

oups.com...

Old May 4th 05, 09:03 PM
stonej

fletch wrote:
Isn't delivery confirmation redundant when you buy the $1.30

insurance (as
opposed to the cheap under-$50 kind). There's a tracking number on

it that
should tell you when it is delivered.

I'm not sure delivery confirmation helps you that much anyway. Who's

to say
someone hasn't stolen the coin from your mailbox? Now a signature,

that
actually is useful to me.

--keith

In my case it was the buyer that wanted it. To me it seemed like a
waste of
time since I'm insuring the package anyway.

Old May 4th 05, 10:33 PM
Scott Drummond

"fletch" wrote in message
Isn't delivery confirmation redundant when you buy the $1.30 insurance (as
opposed to the cheap under-$50 kind). There's a tracking number on it that
should tell you when it is delivered.

From the USPS website:

Can I Track an Insured Mail item on the Internet or through the toll free
number?

At the present time, you cannot determine the status of an insured item via our
web site or through our toll free number. Insurance does not provide tracking
for the item; we are not able to tell you where the item is within the mail
stream or when it will be delivered.

A copy of the delivery record may be requested at your local Post OfficeT by
completing PS form 3811-A, Request for a Return Receipt after Mailing.

The fee for this service is $3.25 (because it was purchased after the mail item
was sent).
A postcard containing the recipient's signature and the date of delivery will be
mailed back to you.

Old May 5th 05, 03:29 AM
Stephen M

On Wed, 04 May 2005 19:49:08 GMT, "fletch"
wrote:

Who's to say someone hasn't stolen the coin from your mailbox?

Or the postal carrier puts the piece in someone else's mailbox. They
scan it as delieverd and go on their way thinking they have done
their job. Get Signature Confirmation or send it Insured to get the
signature.
Old May 5th 05, 01:53 PM
Jonathan_ATC

"fletch" wrote in message
Isn't delivery confirmation redundant when you buy the $1.30 insurance (as
opposed to the cheap under-$50 kind). There's a tracking number on it

that
should tell you when it is delivered.

I'm not sure delivery confirmation helps you that much anyway. Who's to

say
someone hasn't stolen the coin from your mailbox? Now a signature, that
actually is useful to me.

--keith

The $1.30 insurance IS the under $50 kind.

--
Jonathan

Snail Mail TC Blair General Discussion 3 February 4th 05 03:34 PM
UK: Mail trains are back TC General Discussion 0 December 15th 04 06:52 PM
Just A Reminder To New Alt.Collecting.8-Track-Tapes Group Members Daniel & Kathy Gibson 8 Track Tapes 7 May 17th 04 12:06 PM
Just A Reminder To New Alt.Collecting.8-Track-Tapes Group Members Daniel & Kathy Gibson 8 Track Tapes 11 April 26th 04 12:52 PM
PART II 10,000 CARDS 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 December 8th 03 09:03 PM