What do you use to manage your collection?

Old February 17th 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slor

Default What do you use to manage your collection?

I'm trying to find a good standalong coin collecting inventory/database for
managing my (primarily US) collection. Back in the 90s, I used a program
called WinCoin for a bit that had the whole database of US coins already
built in and allowed easy entry, tracking, etc. I unfortunately never
registered the software, and it also appears to be quite defunct by now. I
would really like something, paid or free, that has an up-to-date listing
of at least US coins that you can pick from and also display to see where
my holes are.

Recommendations from the group?

thanks!

--
James
http://www.e-host-direct.com
Old February 17th 11, 02:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slor

Despite all prevention efforts, Slor wrote in
:

I'm trying to find a good standalong coin collecting
inventory/database for managing my (primarily US) collection. Back in
the 90s, I used a program called WinCoin for a bit that had the whole
database of US coins already built in and allowed easy entry,
tracking, etc. I unfortunately never registered the software, and it
also appears to be quite defunct by now. I would really like
something, paid or free, that has an up-to-date listing of at least US
coins that you can pick from and also display to see where my holes
are.

I'm looking at CoinManage 2011 at the moment. Looks to have a good
database along with a "need to complete" function. Any specific experience
with CoinManage here?

Thanks again!

Old February 17th 11, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_10_]

Ο "Slor" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Despite all prevention efforts, Slor wrote in
:

I'm trying to find a good standalong coin collecting
inventory/database for managing my (primarily US) collection. Back in
the 90s, I used a program called WinCoin for a bit that had the whole
database of US coins already built in and allowed easy entry,
tracking, etc. I unfortunately never registered the software, and it
also appears to be quite defunct by now. I would really like
something, paid or free, that has an up-to-date listing of at least US
coins that you can pick from and also display to see where my holes
are.

I'm looking at CoinManage 2011 at the moment. Looks to have a good
database along with a "need to complete" function. Any specific
experience
with CoinManage here?

Yes!
I've used it from its (almost) first edition till 2006 but later I didn't
upgrade to the newer versions for three major reasons:
1) at the beginning it was quite buggy although I must admit that in every
version it seemed to deal with the bugs and getting better
2) you can't move your whole database from one PC to another if you want to
keep your collection in two machines for security reasons
3) if your machine crashes you've lost all the info you have input
There are two more programs out there that are considered to be the
"Mercedes" of coin inventory programs but they cost more than CoinManage:
1) Carlisle's "Coin Collector's Assistant"
http://www.carlisledevelopment.com/
2) Trove software's "Coin Elite"
http://www.trovesoftware.com/

I have no experience with any of them though, maybe some other reader can
give you some insight.

Old February 17th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Slor" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
[...]

I have Coin Collector's Assistant. Although I haven't used it lately (just
lazy - as with any such program it does require some work to set up and
update your specimens even with its easy, semi-automated Add feature) it
does offer paid renewal of subscription updates to its U.S. and foreign coin
databases. IIRC there's also a currency database. It's not the cheapest one
around but it does have a very large set of features and capabilities. I
got mine at a slightly discounted price through Littleton bundled with the
main U.S. database. You can add databases or order the main program plus an
a la carte selection of databases from Carlisle. There's also a Grading
Assistant add-on showing pics and descriptions of the various grades of what
appears to be all U.S. coin types. I don't think it will allow amateurs to
distinguish between a Proof 65 and a Proof 66 but it is easy to use on MS
and lower grades.

Carlisle's support has been very good, too. After I e-mailed them on a
Saturday, their chief tech guy called me on Sunday and spent over an hour on
the phone diagnosing and correcting some glitches I had caused. Hint: Let
the software load to its default location, a folder off the hard drive's
root directory. I forced it to load under the Windows Program Files (x86)
folder the way most "well behaved" programs do and that screwed things
royally. It's a deliberate policy decision because, as he put it, many of
their users are older and not computer savvy so it's easier to point them to
a folder right off the HD root directory than to steer them to drilling down
into the Windows program folders when providing tech support. That wouldn't
be my preference but it does show that they have put some thought into
supporting their geezer users.

Old February 17th 11, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula[_2_]

"gogu" wrote in
:

[...]

Back in 2005, when I was really looking for "the best" coin
cataloging software, I learned a few things: there are a TON of
titles out there; no one software is "the best", as everyone has
different wants/needs; no one software will fulfill all of your
personal wants/needs. Once I came to accept the last two
realizations, I narrowed my choices down to two: CoinManage and Coin
Elite. Both are very good, IMO. But, for me, CoinManage was just a
better fit - a little more user-friendly to me, anyway. So, I used
CoinManage thru version 2007, but haven't really done much of
anything with my coins or my coin software since then. I would love
to get CoinManage 2011 and re-catalog all of my coins, taking pics
of every one of the ones I care about, and maybe selling off the
"junk" coins that I don't need/want. But, that requires time...
Old February 23rd 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slor

Despite all prevention efforts, Slor wrote in
:

I'm trying to find a good standalong coin collecting
inventory/database for managing my (primarily US) collection. Back in
the 90s, I used a program called WinCoin for a bit that had the whole
database of US coins already built in and allowed easy entry,
tracking, etc. I unfortunately never registered the software, and it
also appears to be quite defunct by now. I would really like
something, paid or free, that has an up-to-date listing of at least US
coins that you can pick from and also display to see where my holes
are.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Old February 24th 11, 12:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
cphelan

On Feb 23, 8:59*am, Slor wrote:
Despite all prevention efforts, Slor wrote :

I'm trying to find a good standalong coin collecting
inventory/database for managing my (primarily US) collection. *Back in
the 90s, I used a program called WinCoin for a bit that had the whole
database of US coins already built in and allowed easy entry,
tracking, etc. *I unfortunately never registered the software, and it
also appears to be quite defunct by now. *I would really like
something, paid or free, that has an up-to-date listing of at least US
coins that you can pick from and also display to see where my holes
are.

Thanks everyone for your input.

--
Jameshttp://www.e-host-direct.com
Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

For the last several years I have been selling a program I created on
EBay and my website, which seems to have been received very well by
collectors. It's a stand alone database that runs on any Windows based
compuer from 95 through Win 7.

Although it does not have the coin values it allows you to keep track
of your collection including photos. It sells for $4.95 with free
digital delivery or get a CD by mail for an additional $2.05. For more
information visit
http://cdpinfo.com/product5.htm

Charles Phelan