Numismatic Goals for the New Year

Old January 1st 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

Default Numismatic Goals for the New Year

I'm shooting to complete my set of 1/10oz $5 American Gold Eagle proofs.

Old January 1st 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jan 1, 10:46*am, "Beanie" wrote:
I'm shooting to complete my set of 1/10oz $5 American Gold Eagle proofs.

Topic-wise, and for timeliness, this is a good thread to start.

It reminds me what a terrible accumulator I am and how I don't have
very focused coin goals.

I often feel like a beachcomber, picking up bits of historical
floatsam all drifted up on the grand beachfront of numismatics (and I
wish I could go to FUN next week too, to draw the beach analogy out
just a bit).

However, I've always wanted a 1959 Vatican 100 Lire Gold of John
XXIII. That would be a worthy goal.

Note that this would be a birth year coin, me being a passably good
Protestant youth (ALC/ ELCA Lutheran variety).

oly
Old January 7th 11, 04:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Eric Babula[_2_]

"Beanie" wrote in :

I'm shooting to complete my set of 1/10oz $5 American Gold Eagle
proofs.

Good topic!

My numismatic goal for 2011 is to photograph and catalog my coin
collection.

Eric Babula
Old January 7th 11, 09:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_10_]

Ο "Eric Babula" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
.. .
"Beanie" wrote in :

I'm shooting to complete my set of 1/10oz $5 American Gold Eagle
proofs.

Good topic!
My numismatic goal for 2011 is to photograph and catalog my coin
collection.

That's my goal since many years but I have only managed to fulfill it in a
very small percentage;-)
No time:-(

Old January 7th 11, 11:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

In an unprecedented move, on Jan 1, 11:46*am, "Beanie"
broke the current trend by offering a topic of discussion that was
actually ON TOPIC, and wrote:

I'm shooting to complete my set of 1/10oz $5 American Gold Eagle proofs.

I'm a bit behind with my grandchildren's collections. I've set them
up with an "anchor" collection containing birth year SAEs (MS-69), a
proof commem (PR-69 DCAM) of their birth years, a birth year proof set
from the Mint, and a respectable "100 years before you were born"
coin. I hope to get them all completed this year.

Jerry
An on topic discussion. Who would have imagined?
Old January 7th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

actually ON TOPIC, and wrote:

I'm shooting to complete my set of 1/10oz $5 American Gold Eagle proofs.

I'm a bit behind with my grandchildren's collections. I've set them
up with an "anchor" collection containing birth year SAEs (MS-69), a
proof commem (PR-69 DCAM) of their birth years, a birth year proof set
from the Mint, and a respectable "100 years before you were born"
coin. I hope to get them all completed this year.

Jerry
An on topic discussion. Who would have imagined?
_____________

I've put together the same thing for my grandson who's now a teenager.
PCGS-slabbed hi-grade examples of each coin/mint from his birth year,
including the gold eagles. Unfortunately, he has never developed an
interest in coins -- how many kids have today? -- even though I've given him
some older ones (Indian cent, large cent, 2 & 3 cents. etc.) along with a
state quarter album. I have no idea when to present this set to him, mainly
because I'm pretty sure he'll just want to turn it into cash for school, a
car, etc. Obviously he will have no clue of the significance of a PCGS
PR69DCAM label. My fault, I guess, for expecting him to embrace and
treasure it like I surely would have done at his age. It probably would
have been more practical to have just given him the money.

Old January 7th 11, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

actually ON TOPIC, and wrote:

[...]

When each of my 2 nephews turned 18, I got the deluxe proof sets that also have
the commemorative of the year included in them, in addition to giving them each
an AGE and a Morgan dollar from 100 years before their birth year.
I though they were great gifts but they are currently residing in their
respective dresser drawers

Old January 7th 11, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

actually ON TOPIC, and wrote:

[...]

I addition to coins, I have also collected beer cans for some 40 years now.
As a surprise gift for my daughter in Colorado, I decided to assemble a set
of about 20 obsolete colorful brand beer cans that feature Colorado on the
label, brands like Pikes Peak, Denver, Crystal Colorado, Mile Hi, etc. I
finished acquiring several hundred dollars worth of cans and was designing a
nice cherrywood frame and shelf for them that would look nice as a
conversation piece in their new rec room near the bar. During our Christmas
visit, I mentioned what I was doing and was taken aback by the wrinkled
expression on her face. Wouldn't ANYONE appreciate this kind of unique
display? I guess not. Oh, well. One by one, the cans will go back on eBay
and I've learned my lesson. It's Amazon gift cards from now on.

Old January 7th 11, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Beanie[_2_]

I addition to coins, I have also collected beer cans for some 40 years now. As
a surprise gift for my daughter in Colorado, I decided to assemble a set of
about 20 obsolete colorful brand beer cans that feature Colorado on the label,
brands like Pikes Peak, Denver, Crystal Colorado, Mile Hi, etc. I finished
acquiring several hundred dollars worth of cans and was designing a nice
cherrywood frame and shelf for them that would look nice as a conversation
piece in their new rec room near the bar. During our Christmas visit, I
mentioned what I was doing and was taken aback by the wrinkled expression on
her face. Wouldn't ANYONE appreciate this kind of unique display? I guess
not. Oh, well. One by one, the cans will go back on eBay and I've learned my
lesson. It's Amazon gift cards from now on.

Those young whippersnappers just don't appreciate good things! ;-)

Old January 8th 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"Richard L. Hall" wrote in message
I did it the easy way--just one a year, mostly high grade XF.. I never did
get the 1921 though. I looked at a few of them but the date seems to wear
off very quickly. I never saw one I really liked.

I'm thrilled enough with the two BU SLQ's in my 20th Century type set.
Beautiful coins!!