"Para-States" and Philately

Old October 2nd 03, 12:14 AM
Ed Jackson

Default "Para-States" and Philately

Today's issue of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has an interesting
article entitled "Quest for Legitimacy." It is about efforts by seven
"para-states" to seek sovereignty and international recognition. In many
cases, these regions have a government, flag, police, and other
attributes of a nation. Some even issue passports and postage stamps.
The article will be viewable online for a week at:

http://www.ajc.com/wednesday/content...anta_world_f3a
73a107380c10200bb.html

Unfortunately, the online article does not have the color maps showing
the location and purported boundaries of each wannabe nation found in
the printed edition.

The para-states listed are Republika Srpska, Transnistria Moldavian
Republic, Turkish Cyprus, Abkhazia, Iraqi Kurdistan, Republic of
Somaliland, and Taiwan (Republic of China). Taiwan has a long history of
issuing stamps, but I don't know about the others. Of course,
sovereignty and international recognition are not a prerequisite for
printing and selling stamps.

Ed Jackson
Old October 2nd 03, 01:18 PM
TC

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:14:18 -0400, Ed Jackson
wrote:

[...]

Republika Srpska = Serbian held part of Bosnia.
Probably has legit postal service, but I have no covers.

Transnistria Moldavian Republic = pro Russian part of Moldova.
They may have valid mail service, but I've seen no covers.

Turkish Cyprus = their stamps get letters to me with no problem.

Abkhazia = part of Georgia. Their stamps are bogus.

Iraqi Kurdistan = Their stamps carry letters to internal
and (scarce) international destinations

Republic of Somaliland = former British Somaliland
postally used covers anyone?

Taiwan (Republic of China) = their stamps have gotten
letters to me for years.

Now, here's one from me...

Anyone seen current commercial Iraq covers
with Iraqi stamps used as postage?

Blair

Old October 2nd 03, 05:24 PM
A.E. Gelat

Blair, please see my comments under some of the countries below.

Tony

wrote:

[...]

Could you plese post an illustration of a cover ot two?

Republic of Somaliland = former British Somaliland
postally used covers anyone?

Many months ago, I tried to contact the London office of that
government, but they did not respond. Early tomorrow. I will try
to call the postmaster in Hargeisa, if I can get through. I will
post any information I get.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:07 PM
LN in DC

Thanks for the tip and lead to the article.
I have a website, exclave.info, where I try to keep track of these
places as part of general topic of enclaves and other georgrphical
oddities (pieces of one country surrounded by another). There are
many covers posted (Redonda, for example) and more come each week.
Look for Seborga - now there's a weird one - a wannabe inside Italy
that actually has a claim to a sovereign pedigree.
Regards
Len Nadybal
Washington DC