Irish independence?

Old September 19th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Paul Herber

Default Irish independence?

http://stamps.ebay.co.uk/

well, I thought Ireland was part of Europe.

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
Old September 20th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.E. Gelat

"Paul Herber" wrote in message
ell.net...
http://stamps.ebay.co.uk/

well, I thought Ireland was part of Europe.

You are right, but Turkey is not.

Tony

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

Old September 20th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default Turkey. Was: Irish independence?

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

"Paul Herber" wrote in message
ell.net...
http://stamps.ebay.co.uk/

well, I thought Ireland was part of Europe.

You are right, but Turkey is not.

Tony

Isn't it?

"Turkey (Turkish: Türkiye), known officially as the Republic of Turkey
(Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (help·info)), is a Eurasian country that stretches
across the Anatolian peninsula in southwest Asia and the Balkan region of
southeastern Europe."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey

Eurasia is an immense landmass covering about 53,990,000 km² (or about
10.6%) of the Earth's surface. Often reckoned as a single continent, Eurasia
comprises the traditional continents of Europe and Asia, concepts which date
back to classical antiquity and the borders for which are somewhat
arbitrary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasia

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old September 21st 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

"Turkey (Turkish: Türkiye), known officially as the Republic of Turkey
(Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (help·info)), is a Eurasian country that stretches
across the Anatolian peninsula in southwest Asia and the Balkan region of
southeastern Europe."

I always had trouble at school grasping timelines,
and made an effort to bring chunks of time into perspective.
Turkey, I always used a date of 700AD as a time when
"The Pesian Empire" split and Turkey or the Byzantine empire
came into prominence.
from the Penguin book of medieval history shows AD650
http://cjoint.com/data/jvceCDQShL.htm

It was only c200 years later, the Vikings rowed, pulled,sailed
their longships across Europe, down the Dnieper and traded with
Byzantium.
(I welcome any corrections to my amateur history)

Old September 21st 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.E. Gelat

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

"Paul Herber" wrote in message
ell.net...
http://stamps.ebay.co.uk/

well, I thought Ireland was part of Europe.

You are right, but Turkey is not.

Tony

Isn't it?

No, it isn't. Without looking up the exact areas, I estimate that part of
Turkey in Europe at about 3%. That does not make it European. Spain has
five small exclaves in Africa, but that does not make it African.

Tony

Old September 22nd 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

"Paul Herber" wrote in message
ell.net...
http://stamps.ebay.co.uk/

well, I thought Ireland was part of Europe.

You are right, but Turkey is not.

Tony

Isn't it?

No, it isn't. Without looking up the exact areas, I estimate that part of
Turkey in Europe at about 3%. That does not make it European. Spain has
five small exclaves in Africa, but that does not make it African.

Tony

Your estimation seems to be very good, congratulations! See:
"The Turks of even the Ottoman period had always their sights towards Europe
and their Western border extended up to Vienna in the sixteenth century
during the reign of Suleyman the Magnificent. Modern day Turkey has only a 3
per cent of its territory in Europe."
http://www.pakistanlink.com/hussaini/11152002.html

But is it relevant? Or, in other words, which proportion of a country should
be part of Europe in order to be considered European too? 5%, 10%, 100% or
even more? ;-)

It is obvious, at least to me, that the Spanish enclaves in Africa aren't
European just because they are Spanish. For example GB, Spain, Portugal,
France, The Netherlands, possesed colonies in America but this didn't make
them part of Europe either.

But a part of Turkey is on the European continent, and this a geographical
fact. Of course, this is not the main argument for the admission of Turkey
(or any other European countries, like the big Russia or Ukraina) in the EU,
but it helps a bit.

And last but not not least, a country can be in the very middle of Europe
and hasn't to be EU member, this by the wish of the majority of its
population. I speak of course about the country where I live, Switzerland.

Old September 22nd 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

"Alan" wrote in message
Israel has a football/soccer team in the European Cup this year.

French departments an territories elect deputies and senators to the French
national assembly, including
French Guiana, Guadeloupe Martinique, Réunion, French Polynesia, New
Caledonia and Wallis and Futuna Islands. They also elect representatives to
the EU parliament.

It would seem the definition of France and Europe is somewhat elastic!

But for Ireland - maybe the old song The Sea Around Us needs to be recast?

cho: The sea, oh the sea is the gradh geal mo croide*
Long may it stay between England and me
It's a sure guarantee that some hour we'll be free
Oh, thank God we're surrounded by water.

Ebay would have 'England' replaced by Europe.

Old September 22nd 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

The same elasticity goes for the Dutch Antilles. Aruba is considered Dutch
territory, part of the Dutch province North-Holland; I'm not sure about
the other islands but I tend to think it's the same...

groetjes, Rein

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old September 22nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Alan" wrote in message
Israel has a football/soccer team in the European Cup this year.

Actually each time, and also in basketball. The reason is obvious, and it
has nothing to do with the geographical location.

BTW, there were voices that proposed that Israel should candidate for the
EU admission.

As one can see also from other comments, the geographical location is not
very relevant. For example "...Grønland is a self-governing Danish province
.... Though geographically and ethnically an Arctic island nation associated
with the continent of North America, politically and historically Greenland
is closely tied to Europe, specifically Norway and Denmark."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland

Old September 23rd 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Alan" wrote in message
Victor Manta wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
Israel has a football/soccer team in the European Cup this year.

Actually each time, and also in basketball. The reason is obvious, and it
has nothing to do with the geographical location.

Sorry, why obvious ?

Alan, you can eventually remember this event:
"The Munich massacre occurred during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich,
West Germany, when members of the Israeli Olympic team were taken hostage by
the Palestinian terrorist group Black September, a group with ties to Yasser
Arafat's Fatah organization. By the end of the ordeal, the group had
murdered eleven Israeli athletes and one German police officer."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre

Now, if something like that could happen in Munich, it is not difficult to
imagine what could happen if an Israeli sport team had to play in some of
its neighboring countries. In order to prevent such dangers, the sport teams
from Israel compete with the European ones, as well in Europe as in Israel.

Back to our topics, I'm not aware of postal stamps that commemorate the
victims of the Munich massacre but I suppose that some exist.