still life a.s. byatt

Old July 20th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Poet's Pulpit

Default still life a.s. byatt

Hi everyone!

I'd first like to thank Francis for the Hemingway question.
I have a paperback copy of A.S. Byatt's Still Life published by Collier
Books. Is it normal to have pages 375 to 384 at the start of the book
or is this a misprint. A friend of mine told me about another book by a
mystery writer whose chapters were completely out of sync, forcing the
publsiher to recall the entire first printing.

cheers,

Robert

Old July 22nd 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

Poet's Pulpit wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'd first like to thank Francis for the Hemingway question.
I have a paperback copy of A.S. Byatt's Still Life published by Collier
Books. Is it normal to have pages 375 to 384 at the start of the book
or is this a misprint. A friend of mine told me about another book by a
mystery writer whose chapters were completely out of sync, forcing the
publsiher to recall the entire first printing.

cheers,

Robert

Hi Robert,

I guess there are a lot of the regulars on vacation.

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of that particular book. So I cannot give
you an authoritative answer. I did look on used.addall.com and I did not find
any indication of unusual binding. I understand that the binding is,
predictably, a glued binding and that the book is in fact 384 pages long. It
sounds as though the last 5 sheets of the book became unglued at some point and
were reglued to the front instead of the back. Alternatively, during the
binding process, these sheets could have become out of order with respect to the
rest of the book and originally bound in the wrong place. That might make it a
unique event. Don't count on that raising the value of the book. A few weeks
ago, we had a discussion contrasting coins and stamps, whose value seems to be
enhanced by errors, with books, whose value seems to be diminished by errors -
unless the error becomes a "point of issue" allowing bibliographers to say that
one "state" was prior to another. Besides, it is a paperback, and only
paperbacks that were "true firsts" tend to be worth anything. [An extreme
example is Joyce's Ulysses.]

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 22nd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Poet's Pulpit

Thanks for the reply,

After the misprinted pages the book is fine. It starts with the title
page and ends with the about the author page. The pages at the
beginning of the book are also at the end of the book where the should
be so I don't know what to make of this copy.
Sometimes books use passages at the beginning to entice the reader and
that's what I thought it might be, but I don't think this is the case.

Cheers,

Robert

FS: Baseball out-of-print Books (Part 1) [email protected] Baseball 0 January 23rd 06 12:34 PM
Buy more of my coins! joe Coins 75 December 19th 04 07:13 PM
GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY Books 0 August 29th 04 06:07 AM
FS: Baseball out-of-print Books (Part 1) J.R. Sinclair Baseball 0 July 12th 04 07:27 AM
FS: Baseball out-of-print Books (Part 1) J.R. Sinclair Baseball 0 June 9th 04 06:35 AM