Pathetic Discussion Group

Old July 11th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Shelf Space

Default Pathetic Discussion Group

I'm a book collector and I have on occasion posted to this forum. I
also search though it's archives reasonably often to glean tips and
pointers about bibliographic issues. But in the last couple of years,
it has slowly degenerated into an inner city slum, ruined by unpleasant
grafitti, territorial ****ings and regular muggings. Every now and then
a police car arrives with a loud fanfare to remind those who aren't
interested in listening that there is a charter for this and a charter
for that, and oh my gosh isn't linking to an Ebay auction horribly
illegal, but the real villains are allowed to go about their busines
and do their worst.

From checking the messages in the group a few times week, my interest

began to wane so that now I swing by perhaps once a week or less. What
I have read today - or rather, what I have seen and decided not to read
in entirety - firmly reinforces the view that this group has become a
pathetic mess of a place.

I won't bother with it again and may seek out some other moderated
forum where genuinely intelligent book-loving people congregate. This
group is deeply unpleasant.

Old July 11th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"Shelf Space" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a book collector and I have on occasion posted to this forum.

I won't bother with it again .

And don't bang the door on your way out, there's a good chap.

michael adams

Old July 11th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Sam

He's leaving? and won't come back?

No more whining about JP?

yeah...right...we all believe you.

TTFN

Old July 12th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob

Shelf Space wrote:

I won't bother with it again and may seek out some other moderated
forum where genuinely intelligent book-loving people congregate. This
group is deeply unpleasant.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass Barky!
But, like the bad penny, you'll be back, if only to insult Pelan.

Old July 12th 06, 08:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Shelf Space wrote:
I'm a book collector and I have on occasion posted to this forum. I
also search though it's archives reasonably often to glean tips and
pointers about bibliographic issues. But in the last couple of years,
it has slowly degenerated into an inner city slum, ruined by unpleasant
grafitti, territorial ****ings and regular muggings. Every now and then
a police car arrives with a loud fanfare to remind those who aren't
interested in listening that there is a charter for this and a charter
for that, and oh my gosh isn't linking to an Ebay auction horribly
illegal, but the real villains are allowed to go about their busines
and do their worst.

From checking the messages in the group a few times week, my interest

began to wane so that now I swing by perhaps once a week or less. What
I have read today - or rather, what I have seen and decided not to read
in entirety - firmly reinforces the view that this group has become a
pathetic mess of a place.

I won't bother with it again and may seek out some other moderated
forum where genuinely intelligent book-loving people congregate. This
group is deeply unpleasant.

We know you'll be back with one of your tiresome screeds. The only
attention that you get is when you are slapped down on Usenet.

BTW: I haven't heard any further remarks about my "meagre" stock;
please do check the items sold in my eBay store. I'm sure we'll all be
interested in your comments.

I suspect that I made more money today than you do in a year with your
dole checks.

Cheerio,

John

Old July 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
LiRM

On 11 Jul 2006 14:15:40 -0700, "Shelf Space"
wrote:

I'm a book collector and I have on occasion posted to this forum. I
also search though it's archives reasonably often to glean tips and
pointers about bibliographic issues. But in the last couple of years,
it has slowly degenerated into an inner city slum, ruined by unpleasant
grafitti, territorial ****ings and regular muggings. Every now and then
a police car arrives with a loud fanfare to remind those who aren't
interested in listening that there is a charter for this and a charter
for that, and oh my gosh isn't linking to an Ebay auction horribly
illegal, but the real villains are allowed to go about their busines
and do their worst.

From checking the messages in the group a few times week, my interest

began to wane so that now I swing by perhaps once a week or less. What
I have read today - or rather, what I have seen and decided not to read
in entirety - firmly reinforces the view that this group has become a
pathetic mess of a place.

I won't bother with it again and may seek out some other moderated
forum where genuinely intelligent book-loving people congregate. This
group is deeply unpleasant.

To the contrary, I've found the participants helpful, courteous and
well informed on the topic.

In Usenet, I've found people to fall into several types of groups
revolving around this type of post:

- those who participate in a group to make it worthwhile and make
constructive criticism when it can make the group better for all
involved.

- the flamer's, spammer's, troll's and typical ahole's who posts
consist primarily of the above.

- those who may tire of a topic or just find the group doesn't meet
their needs. Usually, they just move on without having to make it a
"groups sucks" issue.

- those who stop in to say how much a group sucks and that they are
leaving never to return. Typically, they haven't contributed much to
begin with, so their leaving is a loss to no one.

They usually don't leave, but stick around to see what kind of
moment). Then they create a "sock puppet" to agree with them and may
start the process all over again.

I'm not sure, but I suspect when they arrive at their new cultural
mecca (alternate forum, moderated newsgroup, etc) - filled with the
enlightened ones - the brilliant - those who "deserve" to be
recipients of their gifts of eloquence - it probably doesn't take them
long to become just as unhappy there as where they were to begin with.

Why?

Because it has nothing to do with the newsgroup they are fed up with -
it is all about who *they* are - grandiose, arrogant, narcissistic,
and a series of wide ranging pathologies that will never allow them to
really be happy anywhere.

Enjoy your new forums. My guess is it won't take long to get fed up
with your new fellow gods/goddesses.