Day to day pen opinions

Old August 17th 08, 11:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Day to day pen opinions

Hello everyone. Anyone at home here?

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sailor 1911 "Profit" 14K range. The medium
one, more like a European fine, is my favourite at the moment. It just
GLIDES. It has been my favourite for 6 weeks. I got a red one with black top
and tail. The "Music nib" one is disappointing though, always glitching. The
"B" one is nice enough, but nothing like the "M".

--
A Sailor in a sea of ink. Blue of course; what did you think?

Old August 18th 08, 07:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
Hello everyone. Anyone at home here?

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sailor 1911 "Profit" 14K range. The
medium one, more like a European fine, is my favourite at the moment. It
just GLIDES. It has been my favourite for 6 weeks. I got a red one with
black top and tail. The "Music nib" one is disappointing though, always
glitching. The "B" one is nice enough, but nothing like the "M".

I'm still enjoying the Kaweco Sports I got a few months ago in the various
colors. The EDs from Swisher are particularly nice because of the capacity
and visual enjoyment from watching the ink.

FWIW, I found fine nibs at http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/kaweco.html.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old August 18th 08, 11:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message ...
What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen......

(skip my quoted text)
I'm still enjoying the Kaweco Sports I got a few months ago in the various
colors. The EDs from Swisher are particularly nice because of the capacity
and visual enjoyment from watching the ink.

FWIW, I found fine nibs at http://www.shopwritersbloc.com/kaweco.html.

I had not even heard of Kaweko - thanks for the link, and I will take a look
at some. BTW, the Sailors hold hardly any ink, with smallish cartridges and
an even smaller converter. (Just carry two!)

The Pelikano I tried was far too dry, but I don't know if this is typical of
the model. Since I was never using it, I gave it to a charity shop.

Pilot 78s are nice and slim, but there are wild variations in ink flow. All
mine came from eBay, so they might not be the cream of Pilot's production. I
got a "medium" red one that was just perfect, a black one that was dry to
the point of skipping, and a blue-green one that was good. I gave the red
one to my sister, but she seems to be immune to this "hobby".

Pilot 78 "fine" flows like a champ, and happily digests Noodlers! I've only
got one, so I don't know if this is typical. As an (ex) user of scratchy
extra fine nibs, I was surprised by how smooth and pleasant this is,
although I would not use it as a regular daily pen. It writes like a 0.4mm
roller-ball.

Amused by your 'nym; visualising a massive inkwell.

--
Piloting through the blue

Old August 19th 08, 04:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Jimmy" writes:

The Pelikano I tried was far too dry, but I don't know if this is typical of
the model. Since I was never using it, I gave it to a charity shop.

If you want a cheap, wet writer, I've always found the modern
Watermans -- or, at least, every one that I have ever tried -- to be
very wet, too much so for me. However, they are cheap, easy to get, and
durable enough. They also hold enough ink to be useful in carryuing around.

Aaron
--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: | WWW: http://www.sacrideo.us
Old August 19th 08, 04:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Jimmy" writes:

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

I carry around my MontBlanc all day long, and I don't worry too much, but
I am careful with it. ;-)

Although, I guess, it would depend on what you do every day. I for one
use dip pens as my "daily writers" when it comes to writing letters or
anything else that I actually want to take some time to do. For jotting
notes, I'd say that have a decent dip pen at the ready on your desk is
just fine.

If you go about the country during your day, you might not want to go
with a dip pen and a portable ink well. ;-) In that case, I've always
found the Waterman and Shaeffer college budget pens to work really well.
Shaeffer writes a little dryer if your tastes tend towards that direction,
and the Watermans write really wet. I don't like either particularly well
for myself, but my Wife uses a Waterman Phileas or some such quite
happily.

Aaron

Old August 19th 08, 05:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

Knock around pens i have used:

Pilot Capless.

Nice pen. The gold plating (and perhaps something else) is falling off
of mine, which makes it even more of a knock about pen.

Waterman Phileas:

Apparently they don't make this one anymore. Too bad.

Rotring Cores

I don't like them that much that it would bother me that much if i were
to lose one, but they do write better than some other cheapies (e.g.,
Pelikan 150 & 200s, Lamy Safari).

Esterbrook Js & Dollar pens

Wearevers or some other 3rd tier pen might be a better choice, but it's
hard to resist these.

Old August 19th 08, 03:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
online drifter

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:45:18 +0100, "Jimmy" wrote:

Hello everyone. Anyone at home here?

What do you like every day as a cheap, good fountain pen that doesn't need
to be insured, or carried around in cottonwool by a team of hired guards?

Caran D'ache Ecridor Fine. My goto pen when slim is in, nice weight
and flow for a fine is excellent.

Faber Castell Emotion Wood Fine for the times I wish to write with a
wide body pen.

Both are reasonable in price and have never let me down. Currentl both
are inked - black in the Caran, blue in the Faber.

Old August 19th 08, 03:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
wolfy

I have a nondescript fountain pen found at a dollar shop close by
where I live-I bought 14, at that price.
The package had a contest ending 12/31/97-made in China.
It is surprisingly good and the shop clerk got a few himself.
It does not leak at all and I will forgive that occasional need to
shake it a little.
Wolfy

Old August 19th 08, 04:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
wolfy

On Aug 17, 5:45*pm, "Jimmy" wrote:
I have used for the last few months some dollar-store discoveries-I
bought 14 of them, they were so cheap and good.
No leaking. I will forgive any other minor things with them.
Occasionally, I have to shake it to get ink flowing smoothly, but it
holds up amazingly well with all the daily journaling I do.
The contest on the package ended 12/31/97-so these were not new items.
The cashier told me they were good and he bought some.
I went back and told hime he was right.
Wolfy

Old August 19th 08, 09:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Barutan Seijin" wrote in message

Knock around pens i have used:

Pilot Capless.

Nice pen. The gold plating (and perhaps something else) is falling off
of mine, which makes it even more of a knock about pen.

Waterman Phileas:

Apparently they don't make this one anymore. Too bad.

Rotring Cores

I don't like them that much that it would bother me that much if i were
to lose one, but they do write better than some other cheapies (e.g.,
Pelikan 150 & 200s, Lamy Safari).

Esterbrook Js & Dollar pens

Wearevers or some other 3rd tier pen might be a better choice, but it's
hard to resist these.

I tried the Capless. It was quite a frustrating experience - the nib was
great, but the clip was just too intrusive. Maybe it's for people who hold a
pen pointing "up" the page (roughly 12 o'clock). I hold mine pointing left
(nib aimed at 9 o'clock or maybe 8) with my middle and index finger propping
it underneath and to the side, so the wretched clip was right under my
thumb.

Nicely built pen if it suits you, and quite a conversation-starter ( "What
IS that thing??? ).

Some enterprising person ought to design a *Clipless* holder for the nib
unit, as they are great! It would sell. My skills are sadly not up to the
job.

The Phileas can not be beaten for value for money.

opinions, please Lowell Kempton Coins 0 March 27th 06 06:56 PM
opinions, please xnt023 Coins 0 March 27th 06 06:35 PM
opinions, please Steve Ruud Coins 1 March 27th 06 03:54 PM
need some opinions, please Russell Coins 2 November 20th 04 05:53 PM
I need your opinions Greg Coins 24 January 1st 04 07:34 AM