Denouncement of "illegals" by Ivory Coast / Republic of Côte d'Ivoire Posta Administration

Old August 11th 03, 06:12 PM
Ian Billings

Default Denouncement of "illegals" by Ivory Coast / Republic of Côte d'Ivoire Posta Administration

The UPU has passed on information from the administration in Ivory Coast
about 'illegals' mostly popular thematics, which are flooding the market
to the detriment of the stamp collecting hobby. The text of the letter
and lisdt of identified 'illegals' follows. The full list of UPU
circulars from all postal admninistrations concerned about illegals can
be found at http://www.norvic-philatelics.co.uk/upu.htm

-----------------------------------
"We would like to inform Universal Postal Union member countries and the
World Association for the Development of Philately of the piracy carried
out against Côte d'Ivoire Post through the issue and sale of illegal
postage stamps bearing the words 'Republic of Côte d'Ivoire'.

"We are shocked and horrified by the fraudulent issue of a series of
postage stamps (listed in Annex 1), aimed at philatelists, and
disseminated by unscrupulous individuals via various websites and in
some promotional publications.
"This situation is even more deplorable since the stamps feature images
or logos of certain prominent figures and international organizations,
which could have serious consequences for Côte d'Ivoire Post.
"For your information, there are at least three hundred illegal postage
stamps. Most of them are presented in perforated formats comprising 6 x
3.00 USD stamps and
9 x 4.00 USD stamps.
"As the only body authorized to issue and disseminate postage stamps
under Ivorian law, Côte d'Ivoire Post cannot ignore this attempt to
usurp its rights and blatantly violate UPU agreements.
"We therefore denounce and condemn these reprehensible actions which
undermine the reputation and the financial and economic situation of our
administration.
"We also call on the solidarity of all Union stakeholders to vigorously
tackle this phenomenon which has a disastrous effect on the postal industry.
"Furthermore, we ask the UPU International Bureau to inform the
exploited bodies of these incriminating facts so we can disclaim all
responsibility.
"Annex 2 lists the postage stamps issued by Côte d'Ivoire Post since 1991.
"Finally, we should point out that, since 2002, all our postage stamps
are registered and can be viewed on the UPU website (www.wnsstamps.ch).

Philatelists wishing to purchase stamps should contact:

Abidjan Philatelic Centre
Production Directorate
Côte d’Ivoire Post
01 B.P. 4056 ABIDJAN 01
CÔTE D'IVOIRE
Fax: + 225 20 32 24 82

Our official representative in France
Théodore Champion SA
68, Rue d'Hauteville
F. 75010 PARIS
FRANCE
Tel: + 33 1 42 46 07 38 (Mail order customers)
Tel: + 33 1 42 46 70 32 (Business and retail customers)
Fax: + 33 1 48 24 08 27"

Yours faithfully,

K J S McKEOWN
Director of Markets
= = = = = = Annex = = = =
"Illegal postage stamp issues produced in the name of the Republic of
Côte d’Ivoire

Shells
Two miniature sheets* comprising six postage stamps, each representing
different groups of shells. The value shown on each stamp is 100 F, and
each stamp is inscribed with the year 2002 and the Rotary International
emblem.

Fauna (dogs, butterflies)
Two miniature sheets* comprising six postage stamps, each representing
different dog breeds. The value shown on each stamp is 100 F, and each
stamp is inscribed with the year 2002 and the World Scout Emblem.
Two miniature sheets* comprising six postage stamps, each representing
different species of butterfly. The name of each species is featured on
each stamp. The value shown on each stamp is 100 F, and each stamp is
inscribed with the year 2002 and the World Scout Emblem.

Flora
Two miniature sheets* comprising six postage stamps, each representing
different species of orchid. The name of each species is featured on
each stamp. The value shown on each stamp is 100 F, and each stamp is
inscribed with the year 2002. One site describes the orchids simply as
flowers.

Prominent figures
Two miniature sheets* comprising six postage stamps, each featuring a
different picture of the actor Elvis Presley, either alone or with other
people.
"25th Anniversary of Elvis Presley" is inscribed at the top of each
sheet. The value shown on each stamp is 100 F, and each stamp is
inscribed with the year 2002.
One miniature sheet* comprising six postage stamps, each featuring a
different picture of the actress Marilyn Monroe, either alone or with
other people.
"40th Anniversary of Marilyn Monroe" is inscribed at the top of each
sheet. The value shown on each stamp is 100 F, and each stamp is
inscribed with the year 2002.
Two miniature sheets* comprising nine postage stamps, each featuring a
different picture of the actress Marilyn Monroe, either alone or with
other people.
"40th Anniversary of Marilyn Monroe" is inscribed at the top of each
sheet. The value shown on each stamp is 100 F, and each stamp is
inscribed with the year 2002.

Sport (motorbike racing, table tennis)
Two miniature sheets* comprising six postage stamps, each featuring a
picture of a different motorbike race. The value shown on each stamp is
100 F, and each stamp is inscribed with the year 2002 and the Rotary
International Emblem.
One miniature sheet* comprising six postage stamps, each featuring a
different picture of table tennis players. The value shown on each stamp
is 100 F, and each stamp is inscribed with the year 2002.

Vehicles (fire engines, trains)
Two miniature sheets* comprising six postage stamps, each featuring a
different picture of a vintage fire engine. The value shown on each
postage stamp is 100 F, and each stamp is inscribed with the year 2002.
One website describes the vehicles as vintage fire engines while another
describes them as vintage cars.
Four souvenir sheets each comprising one postage stamp and featuring a
different train; each stamp is inscribed with the year 2002 and the
emblem of a specific organization.
Four miniature sheets each comprising six postage stamps and featuring a
different train; each stamp is inscribed with the year 2002 and the
emblem of a specific organization.

* These miniature sheets are listed in dollars on one website at a very
high price (19.95 USD) for the perforated format for the two sheets and
at double the price (39.80 USD) for the imperforated format. The same
miniature sheets are listed on another website at a much cheaper price
(e.g. 3.00 USD each)."

A full list of postage stamps still available from the Abidjan
authorities was also attached: I will pass this on to anybody who wants
it. It covers 1991 to date.

--
Ian Billings
Norvic Philatelics