OT - computer problem for a real guru

Old August 20th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default OT - computer problem for a real guru

I have been getting a popup window on my computer at various times.
I googled the thing and it says it is a Registry error. My local guru
says he has never dealt with it and knows nothing about it.
I had Staples do a clean up including the Registry and it did not fix
the error.
The Google search only produced offers to clean the Registry if you
buy their software. Staples and my local guru say th stay away from
those Registry cleaners, many can kill your computer.
The error is Windows 32 exe.
Anyone ever dealt with this annoyance?
My popup blocker does not stop it.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph
Old August 20th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hello Ralph. No guru here, real or imaginary!

If you have not done it already, the next time you get the popup write down
exactly what it says. Whichever Operating System you are using remember
that each OS has newsgroups dedicated to it and if you are using WinXP or
Vista I doubt very much that people on those groups have not seen your popup
before. As a matter of fact on each group there are MVPs who have been
trained by Microsoft. (If that's not an open door for dissing Microsoft, I
don't know what is.)

Registry cleaners can potentially cause bigger problems than what one is
trying to solve. I tried using CleanMyPC on a laptop I was giving away
which had Windows Millenium and it made a heck of a mess. The guy I gave
the machine to had to reformat the hard drive.

When running a registry cleaner, at various points, you are asked for
direction which must be answered with a yes, no, next, previous, whatever.
If you don't know what you're doing - like me - you can cause major problems
(corrupt files) in the Operating System -- "killing the computer" is a bit
of an exaggeration considering that all the OS files are either on a
separate partition of your hard drive or on a set of CDs that came with the
machine. At worst the OS has to be reinstalled after the hard drive has
been reformatted. This deletes everything on your hard drive so make sure
that you back up all your stuff, i.e. all the files that you created. Don't
bother backing up software programs, you will simply reinstall them after
the reformatting. Having said that, I have seen OSs being 'refreshed'
rather than completely reinstalled without reformatting the HD.

Good luck.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old August 20th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

The first thing you need to do Ralph is to learn how
to ask a computer question properly.
You give a story with little factual problems.
People will need to know what system you have
and exactly what the error message reads.
If you Win XP try here
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...general/topics

You may have a virus, in which case you need advice on the correct AV
There are some realy nasty "fix your computer problem" softwares
out there, that when used, deliver really nasty viruses themselves.
Be ever vigilant.
I use "Malwarebytes" regularly, and do not open any email from a source
unknown.

Old August 20th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

My advice would be to "never ever" run a registry cleaner.
A registry cleaner is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.
or, at least that is what I am led to believe.

Good surfing habits, a regular anti malware scan, a monthly defragmentation
scan
and a random removal of garbage using "CC cleaner" or Crap Cleaner"
http://www.ccleaner.com/
which includes removing temp files, will ensure problem free and fast
computer.
(not using the registry cleaner section of ccleaner)
(Tracy Barber recommended this to me, and I have used it for 2 years)

The minute one tries dodgy software, visits dodgy sites, or free invitations
unknown software can invite trouble.

"Tony Vella"

Old August 20th 09, 12:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Ralphael1 schrieb:
I have been getting a popup window on my computer at various times.
I googled the thing and it says it is a Registry error. My local guru
says he has never dealt with it and knows nothing about it.
I had Staples do a clean up including the Registry and it did not fix
the error.
The Google search only produced offers to clean the Registry if you
buy their software. Staples and my local guru say th stay away from
those Registry cleaners, many can kill your computer.
The error is Windows 32 exe.
Anyone ever dealt with this annoyance?
My popup blocker does not stop it.

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

Hi,

first of all, it is always a god idea to make a complete backup of a
running system.
If your OS is Winxp or Vista, go back to a restore point, or you can try
a fix, by booting the system with the system cd/DVD and doing the
"Repair-Setup".

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!
Old August 20th 09, 12:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Aug 19, 8:53*pm, "Tony Vella" wrote:
Hello Ralph. *No guru here, real or imaginary!

If you have not done it already, the next time you get the popup write down
exactly what it says. *Whichever Operating System you are using remember
that each OS has newsgroups dedicated to it and if you are using WinXP or
Vista I doubt very much that people on those groups have not seen your popup
before. *As a matter of fact on each group there are MVPs who have been
trained by Microsoft. *(If that's not an open door for dissing Microsoft, I
don't know what is.)

Registry cleaners can potentially cause bigger problems than what one is
trying to solve. *I tried using CleanMyPC on a laptop I was giving away
which had Windows Millenium and it made a heck of a mess. *The guy I gave
the machine to had to reformat the hard drive.

Exactly what my local guru and Staples tell me.

[...]

Well if having to reinstall the OS is not "killing the computer" is is
very close to it.

Good luck.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old August 20th 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Aug 19, 8:59*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
The first thing you need to do Ralph is to learn how
to ask a computer question properly.
You give a story with little factual problems.
People will need to know what system you have
and exactly what the error message reads.
If you Win XP try herehttp://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/topics

I gave the right error message...Windows 32.exe. A blank window pops
up and an the top line the error message and that is all, nothing
more. The blank screen, usually multiple stacked screens pop up for a
graction of a second and then it is gone. Not really a big problem but
annoying.
The OS I use is Windows XP

You may have a virus, in which case you need advice on the correct AV
There are some realy nasty "fix your computer problem" softwares
out there, that when used, deliver really nasty viruses themselves.
Be ever vigilant.
I use "Malwarebytes" regularly, and do not open any email from a source
unknown.

I have Crap Cleaner, Malware Bytes and SuperSpyware use them regularly
and still have the 32.exe bugger.

Old August 20th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Aug 20, 7:07*am, Peter Baumann wrote:

Hi,

first of all, it is always a god idea to make a complete backup of a
running system.
If your OS is Winxp or Vista, go back to a restore point, or you can try
a fix, by booting the system with the system cd/DVD and doing the
"Repair-Setup".

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!

Got a good restore point, it did nothing to correct the 32.exe bugger.
I am sure someone would have to have dealt with Windows 32.exe to
understand the problem.

Ralph
Old August 20th 09, 12:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Ralphael1"
I gave the right error message...Windows 32.exe.

I am sorry my old china plate, you did not. It probably is win32.exe
(there is a difference)

"Windows errors related to win32.exe?
win32.exe is added to the system as a result of the RATEGA virus. It is a
Trojan horse
give a remote user access to your computer. This process is a security risk
and should
be removed from your system. If found on your system make sure that you have
downloaded the latest update for your antivirus application."

I would go to the Win XP Newsgroup and ask for assistance
DO NOT download any random fixes, some of these have worse viruses.

I was going to search for you, but I am getting a problem with Google
archives
they do not seem to have any depth at the moment.

Old August 20th 09, 01:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

Ralphael1 schrieb:
On Aug 20, 7:07 am, Peter Baumann wrote:
Hi,

first of all, it is always a god idea to make a complete backup of a
running system.
If your OS is Winxp or Vista, go back to a restore point, or you can try
a fix, by booting the system with the system cd/DVD and doing the
"Repair-Setup".

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!

Got a good restore point, it did nothing to correct the 32.exe bugger.
I am sure someone would have to have dealt with Windows 32.exe to
understand the problem.

Ralph

Have a look here, that might help to understand, what's going on.

http://www.threatexpert.com/files/windows32.exe.html

Peter

--
No Gates - no Bill!