France~Her first TB seals.

Old August 23rd 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default France~Her first TB seals.

Following the idea conceived by the Danish Postman Einar Holboelli,
and the famous "Christmas Seals" in 1904, the French decided in 1925 to
design
an "educational vignette" using the large movement of mails, as a vehicle,
to bring
the attention to the fight against tuberculosis.

After several attempts, France's first TB seal arrived in 1927

"Le Baiser au Soleil" (The kiss of the Sun)
http://cjoint.com/data/ixrof43x1X.htm

1928 followed, with "Vivre" ID'd by Blair for me some time ago.
http://cjoint.com/data/ixrqXmDHie.htm

Old August 23rd 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Aug 23, 11:18�am, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au
wrote:
Following the idea conceived by the Danish Postman Einar Holboelli,
and the famous "Christmas Seals" in 1904, the French decided in 1925 to
design
an "educational vignette" using the large movement of mails, as a vehicle,
to bring
the attention to the fight against tuberculosis.

After several attempts, �France's first TB seal arrived in 1927

"Le Baiser au Soleil" �(The kiss of the Sun)http://cjoint.com/data/ixrof43x1X.htm

1928 followed, with "Vivre" �ID'd by Blair for me some time ago.http://cjoint.com/data/ixrqXmDHie.htm

It may be of interest that Cuba adopted the same design as that of the
first French seal, and in 1928 issued her first seal with identicial
design, only changing "Le Baiser au Soleil" to "El Beso al Sol", and
removing the inscriptions immediately below the vignette. There were
two basic versions - one perforated 12 and one rouletted. Varieties
are perforated vertically and rouletted horizontally, and perforated
horizontally and rouletted vertically.
Old August 23rd 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Cheers Rudy,
I knew that Cuba had issued such a seal, but knew nothing about it,
so thanks for that, I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.

Seals are a rich hunting ground for design plagiarism, but I guess
it can be excused for the common ideal.
I had not realised, in the main, most Christmas seals centre on the war
against TB.

"60 minutes" last night, featured a story on an Aussie nurse in the deserts
of Ethiopia, amongst the Afar people, where TB (and hunger) is still a
scourge.

Old August 23rd 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I can also see a common heritage for the Cuban obligatory tax stamp of 1940
(with a lovely "art deco" feel)
http://cjoint.com/data/ixx6cpWz15.htm

with one of the first French "essays" (I think)
with the allegory on guard behind the shield against TB
(I am not really sure where this label fits in the French story)
http://cjoint.com/data/iyaa27KIoC.htm

Old August 24th 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

wrote:
Following the idea conceived by the Danish Postman Einar Holboelli,
and the famous "Christmas Seals" in 1904, the French decided in 1925 to
design
an "educational vignette" using the large movement of mails, as a vehicle,
to bring
the attention to the fight against tuberculosis.

After several attempts, *France's first TB seal arrived in 1927

"Le Baiser au Soleil" *(The kiss of the Sun)http://cjoint.com/data/ixrof43x1X.htm

1928 followed, with "Vivre" *ID'd by Blair for me some time ago.http://cjoint.com/data/ixrqXmDHie.htm

I believe a more precise translation of Le Baiser au Soleil
would be "The Kiss to the Sun". after the "A kiss to the sun"
medical tuberculosis bronze medal engraved by A. FAIVRE

http://i14.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/3a/96/e636_1_sbl.JPG
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/3a/96/cee9_1_sbl.JPG
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/3a/96/f09b_1_sbl.JPG

Blair
Old August 24th 09, 09:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thanks for the correction Blair,
looking at the vignette, that makes sense.
....and Faivre's acknowledgement on the label
I was perhaps linking it to my own experience
having asthma as kid.
In the fifties, in England, they would have us kids standing under what
seemed to me
as ultra violet lights.
We moved to Aussie to be closer to warmth, and it worked,
I went on to become a cross country runner (but not a very good one

I now realise all the "Sanatoria" issues (Bulgaria etc) are linked to TB and
lung disease.
I used to wonder why sanatoria featured so often.

A kiss to the sun, for the kiss of the sun.

(and make sure it is only a kiss, not a bake, or a roast)

"Blair"
I believe a more precise translation of Le Baiser au Soleil
would be "The Kiss to the Sun". after the "A kiss to the sun"
medical tuberculosis bronze medal engraved by A. FAIVRE

http://i14.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/3a/96/e636_1_sbl.JPG
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/3a/96/cee9_1_sbl.JPG
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/3a/96/f09b_1_sbl.JPG

Blair

France defs - 1955 allegory of "France" malcolm General Discussion 31 June 11th 08 07:25 AM
wax seals Bobstamp General Discussion 16 November 8th 06 12:19 AM
leaking seals, john Baseball 1 November 20th 04 10:28 AM
Wax seals again marlinspike Pens & Pencils 5 January 30th 04 01:24 PM
$100 1966 Red Seals USMintQuarters.com Paper Money 0 November 16th 03 09:24 PM