Nice 1/48th of shilling on ebay

Old February 5th 05, 05:20 AM
Harold Fears

Default Nice 1/48th of shilling on ebay

Someone should grab this one, a nice coin, with die filling:

Harold

Old February 5th 05, 09:41 PM
Steve MacGregor

"Harold Fears" wrote in message
.. .

Someone should grab this one, a nice coin, with die filling:

Why was there such a coin as "1/48 of a shilling"? Isn't that the same
as a farthing?

--
Steve

Old February 6th 05, 12:38 AM
Harold Fears

Steve,
Yes, 1/48th of a shilling is the same as a farthing. To refresh your
memory, Jersey denominations pre-1877 were 1/13th, 1/26th, and 1/52nd of a
shilling. To learn more about these coins visit my site at
http://jerseycoins.com .

Harold

Old February 6th 05, 01:28 AM
James Higby

"Harold Fears" wrote in message
news
Steve,
Yes, 1/48th of a shilling is the same as a farthing. To refresh your
memory, Jersey denominations pre-1877 were 1/13th, 1/26th, and 1/52nd of a
shilling. To learn more about these coins visit my site at
http://jerseycoins.com .

Harold

"Steve MacGregor" wrote in message
"Harold Fears" wrote in message
.. .

Someone should grab this one, a nice coin, with die filling:

Why was there such a coin as "1/48 of a shilling"? Isn't that the same
as a farthing?

--
Steve

I was going to say how the previous system had 13 Jersey pence to a British
shilling, and the new one 12 Jersey pence to a British shilling, and how
they wanted to make sure that the people knew that the 1/48 represented more
money than the 1/52, but then I realized how poorly people understood (and
understand) fractions, so my theory is blown out of the water. Whew!

James

How to avoid getting cheated on eBay -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 17 May 26th 04 12:09 AM
"Say something nice about me!" Bawl the Ebay seller frank wight Coins 0 March 9th 04 07:25 PM
How to avoid getting cheated on eBay -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 9 February 14th 04 09:44 PM
eBay spoofs John Yamamoto-Wilson Books 0 January 23rd 04 12:46 AM
Ebay FRAUD alert ThomasTeeter Juke Boxes 6 January 22nd 04 04:34 AM