SCWC 1801-1900 5th Edition is out

Old January 20th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default SCWC 1801-1900 5th Edition is out

It's 84 pages shorter than the 4th edition! What was omitted or changed in
format I have not yet determined. The number of photos touted on the cover
is the same as before.

A spot check reveals many price increases, some of them dramatic.

James

Old January 20th 07, 10:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"Mr. Jaggers" gave the group a numeric report with:
It's 84 pages shorter than the 4th edition!

Mr. Jaggers, does this mean that "getting less for more" has now crept into
the realm of numismatic literature?

Amistad

Old January 20th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
B.J. Herbison

How many of the missing areas are included? What have you noticed
that's still missing?

Here's my list of items in the 2nd edition but not the 4th:

Kathiri State of Seiyun & Tarim
Lots of Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia in 2nd)
Some coins from the Philippines

China, German States, and Indian Kingdoms/States have gaps, but I didn't
notice a decline from the 2nd to the 4th. I likely wouldn't notice gaps
in areas where I don't have coins, and there are too many of those places!

B.J.

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
It's 84 pages shorter than the 4th edition! What was omitted or changed in
format I have not yet determined. The number of photos touted on the cover
is the same as before.

A spot check reveals many price increases, some of them dramatic.

James

Thanks,
B.J.
--
B.J. Herbison / / http://www.herbison.com/herbison/bj.html
The Next Asylum / 203 Long Hill Road / Bolton, MA 01740-1421 / +1 978
Old January 20th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"B.J. Herbison" wrote in message
How many of the missing areas are included? What have you noticed that's
still missing?

Here's my list of items in the 2nd edition but not the 4th:

Kathiri State of Seiyun & Tarim
Lots of Netherlands East Indies (Indonesia in 2nd)
Some coins from the Philippines

China, German States, and Indian Kingdoms/States have gaps, but I didn't
notice a decline from the 2nd to the 4th. I likely wouldn't notice gaps
in areas where I don't have coins, and there are too many of those places!

Seiyun & Tarim are back, as well as the rest of Yemen, but hardly any
pictures at all!

NEI has six pages in the 5th, as opposed to two pages in the 4th, but,
again, very few pix.

There seem to be a lot of Philippine coins listed in this new edition, just
as there were in the 4th. Can you be more specific?

The franc system coins from Cambodia are now missing.

The index has shrunk from nine columns of tiny print to not quite four
columns of larger print. Most all sub-categories have been deleted from the
index. Danzig is still indexed, but not Barcelona or Catalonia, for
example.

James

Old January 20th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
B.J. Herbison

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
"B.J. Herbison" wrote in message
Seiyun & Tarim are back, as well as the rest of Yemen, but hardly any
pictures at all!

NEI has six pages in the 5th, as opposed to two pages in the 4th, but,
again, very few pix.

It's good to have them back, but hard to identify the coins without
pictures.

There seem to be a lot of Philippine coins listed in this new edition, just
as there were in the 4th. Can you be more specific?

I thought there were more, but I only see four find missing.

Philippines "Decimal Coinage": Coins in SCWC 1801-1900 2nd edition but
not in SCWC 1801-1900 4th edition.

20 Centimos KM#146
20 Centimos KM#149
50 Centimos KM#147
50 Centimos KM#150

These just stuck in my mind as I'd seen them for sale several times and
had to dig through my old books.

The franc system coins from Cambodia are now missing.

Ouch. So much for hopes of using just one set of books.

Thanks,
B.J.
Old January 21st 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

I have the 4th edition and found very little wrong with it in the areas I
pursue.
I don't have a compelling reason to up grade that one. However I would like
to get the
latest 20th century book and the new 21st century book. I have the 2003
version and I did notice a lot of mistakes in that one.
Dale

Old January 21st 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote in message
I have the 4th edition and found very little wrong with it in the areas I
pursue.
I don't have a compelling reason to up grade that one. However I would
like to get the
latest 20th century book and the new 21st century book. I have the 2003
version and I did notice a lot of mistakes in that one.

There are several of us who scour the listings in the SCWC stack, find
errors and omissions, and notify the folks at Krause of our findings.
Essentially we constitute the adjunct editorial staff, and for that we are
recognized as contributors on the introductory pages. I've been there for
several editions now of the 20th century cat, but was both pleased and
surprised to be listed for the first time in the new edition of the 19th
century cat. Errors still remain, and it will take time to find and report
them all. Under Krause and Mishler the SCWC were a labor of love by the
Company, but it appears more and more that it is the users who must function
as the R&D staff. I would encourage RCCers to report errors they find
directly to Krause or to me and I will compile them and send them on. It's
a work in progress, dontcha know!

James

Old January 21st 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus

[...]

Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I just realized that you're James Higby. I
can't tell you how many times I've meant to put out a PING: Higby post
looking to see if anyone had heard from you. g I just figured that you'd
run off during that last troll infestation. Good to see you're still around!

Old January 21st 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Honus" wrote in message
newsJzsh.517$dk1.100@trndny03...

[...]

I am indeed he. It wasn't so much the trolling, but rather the growing
realization that there are forces out there who can and will exploit
information they find on the net, that prompted me and several others to
assume a lower profile. I was amazed just a week ago by a longtime friend
of mine who lives and works in Saudi Arabia. In an idle moment at work, and
through Googling a phrase that he and I used jokingly over 35 years ago, he
found an RCC post of mine from early 2005 that I had completely forgotten
about, but which contained that phrase! He emailed me about it, and we both
had a good laugh at opposite sides of the globe.

Mr. Jaggers
'I'm not a lawyer, but I played one in Great Expectations'

Old January 22nd 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus

"Honus" wrote in message
newsJzsh.517$dk1.100@trndny03...

Boy, do I feel like an idiot. I just realized that you're James Higby. I
can't tell you how many times I've meant to put out a PING: Higby post
looking to see if anyone had heard from you. g I just figured that

you'd
run off during that last troll infestation. Good to see you're still
around!

I am indeed he. It wasn't so much the trolling, but rather the growing
realization that there are forces out there who can and will exploit
information they find on the net, that prompted me and several others to
assume a lower profile.

And I just helped "out" you. g