"Pound of Paper" by John Baxter

Old February 13th 04, 04:31 PM
Art Layton

Default "Pound of Paper" by John Baxter

Picked up a copy of this book last night at the library. Great read
especially if you are oriented towards collecting English authors and
their books (I am not). If anyone is interested in reading books about
book-collecting, I recommend all three of the Goldsstone books "Warmly
Inscribed", "Used and Rare" and "Slightly Chipped" and Nicholas
Basbanes two books; "Among the Gently Mad" and "Gentle Madness".

Anyone else read these? Comments?

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old February 13th 04, 09:55 PM
Evelyn C. Leeper

Art Layton wrote:
Picked up a copy of this book last night at the library. Great read
especially if you are oriented towards collecting English authors and
their books (I am not). If anyone is interested in reading books about
book-collecting, I recommend all three of the Goldsstone books "Warmly
Inscribed", "Used and Rare" and "Slightly Chipped" and Nicholas
Basbanes two books; "Among the Gently Mad" and "Gentle Madness".

Anyone else read these? Comments?

I just wrote a review of the Baxter
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/rev-b.htm#pound)
and Nicholas Basbanes's *latest* book, A SPLENDOR OF LETTERS
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/rev-b.htm#splendor).

I liked them both. The Baxter is also of interest for film fans (Baxter
is a well-known writer about films) and for science fiction fans,
especially when Baxter talks about his discovery of fandom in Australia
when he was young.

I also reviewed two of the Goldstones's books, USED AND RARE
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/rev-g.htm#used)
and WARMLY INSCRIBED
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/rev-g.htm#warmly).
And they have a new one out as well, OUT OF THE FLAMES, which I just
picked up.

As you might guess, I love this sort of book.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper

Old February 13th 04, 11:07 PM
William M. Klimon

"Art Layton" wrote in message
m...

Nicholas
Basbanes two books; "Among the Gently Mad" and "Gentle Madness".

He has two others: *Patience and Fortitude* and *A Splendor of Letters*. I
spoke with him Monday night at the Folger Shakespeare Library. He's working
on the fourth in his series (*Among the Gently Mad*, his "collector's
guide," is outside of the series).

I've enjoyed them all.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old February 15th 04, 12:40 PM
Art Layton

He has two others: *Patience and Fortitude* and *A Splendor of Letters*. I
spoke with him Monday night at the Folger Shakespeare Library. He's working
on the fourth in his series (*Among the Gently Mad*, his "collector's
guide," is outside of the series).

I've enjoyed them all.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

I understand he will be at the NY Antiquarian book show in April
signing copies of his book? I hope I have the opportunity to purchase
a copy and chat about collecting.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old February 15th 04, 12:44 PM
Art Layton

"Evelyn C. Leeper" wrote in message et...

I liked them both. The Baxter is also of interest for film fans (Baxter
is a well-known writer about films) and for science fiction fans,
especially when Baxter talks about his discovery of fandom in Australia
when he was young.

I also reviewed two of the Goldstones's books, USED AND RARE
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/rev-g.htm#used)
and WARMLY INSCRIBED
(http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4824/rev-g.htm#warmly).
And they have a new one out as well, OUT OF THE FLAMES, which I just
picked up.

As you might guess, I love this sort of book.

I read "Out of the Flames" 2 weeks ago. And I also love this kind of
book. Amazing amount of detective work combined with their writing
style makes for a good read (at least for those of us who are
bibliophiles).

When I go to the library, I always check out the shelves where books
about books are shelved.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Old February 15th 04, 02:48 PM
Evelyn C. Leeper

Art Layton wrote:

I read "Out of the Flames" 2 weeks ago. And I also love this kind of
book. Amazing amount of detective work combined with their writing
style makes for a good read (at least for those of us who are
bibliophiles).

When I go to the library, I always check out the shelves where books
about books are shelved.

So do I, but apparently they are distributed over several Dewey Decimal
classifications (002, 020, 028, and 808, and probably others).