(RCSD) Ralphael new post

Old November 17th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default (RCSD) Ralphael new post

Greetings group. I have just set up a new account using my Verizon
addy.
I no longer have AOL in my system. I also cleaned the system of things
slowing my computer. Desk top has only ten icons. Task bar five and
start up 15 items. No Norton, Firewall or other speed bumps.
I only do minimal email, it is too much of a drag.
Desktop comes up in seconds from a cold start, not the 2 plus minutes
previously.
We will see how this works.

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old November 17th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

wrote in message
Greetings group. I have just set up a new account using my Verizon
addy.
I no longer have AOL in my system. I also cleaned the system of things
slowing my computer. Desk top has only ten icons. Task bar five and
start up 15 items. No Norton, Firewall or other speed bumps.
I only do minimal email, it is too much of a drag.
Desktop comes up in seconds from a cold start, not the 2 plus minutes
previously.
We will see how this works.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Ralph,

I'm not sure that not having a firewall and an antivirus program is a good
idea.

Personally, I prefer to have them on and running, because the time for
getting lost of threats is usually much bigger than all the boot-up
sequences put together.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old November 18th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Nov 17, 4:50 pm, "Victor Manta" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Communism on Stamps:http://reds-on.postalstamps.biz/
Spanish North Africa:http://www.sna-on.postalstamps.biz/

Initial install of Firewall created problems. Help line advised to
kill it.

RtOo
Old November 18th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

wrote in message news:2aecc8cc-7074-4d7b-b6d8-

start up 15 items. No Norton, Firewall or other speed bumps.
I only do minimal email, it is too much of a drag.
Desktop comes up in seconds from a cold start, not the 2 plus minutes
previously.

Have your free antivirus up and running in minutes,
it auto updates for you every day
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...yware/us/frt/0

Only minor irritation it will pause all your programs
whilst it updates
takes about a minute or so.

You may need to disable the daily scanning routine
if you have probs email me offline.

Old November 18th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"rodney" wrote in message

wrote in message news:2aecc8cc-7074-4d7b-b6d8-

start up 15 items. No Norton, Firewall or other speed bumps.
I only do minimal email, it is too much of a drag.
Desktop comes up in seconds from a cold start, not the 2 plus minutes
previously.

Have your free antivirus up and running in minutes,

Ooops that was the antispyware

try
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/us/frt/0

Sorry.

Old November 18th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Nov 17, 9:45 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"rodney" wrote in message

wrote in message news:2aecc8cc-7074-4d7b-b6d8-

start up 15 items. No Norton, Firewall or other speed bumps.
I only do minimal email, it is too much of a drag.
Desktop comes up in seconds from a cold start, not the 2 plus minutes
previously.

Have your free antivirus up and running in minutes,

Ooops that was the antispyware

tryhttp://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/us/frt/0

Sorry.

AdAware is best antispyware program I have found.

RtOo
Old November 18th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

Your router may have a hardware firewall anyway. Cuts out a bunch of
the chatter before it gets to the inner, software firewall.

Since I monitor what I do (most of the time) I keep real-time
protection off and it saves me TONNAGE of speed.

YMMV... to each his/her own.