ANA Governors

Old April 4th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default ANA Governors

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:57:56 GMT, Adolphe Menjou "Adolphe
stated:

Maybe start at the top and work your way down.

I don't like much of what has gone on at the ANA since Christopher
Cipoletti was appointed Executive Director.

JAM

Hehe, can someone run on a platform of installing a new ED?
Old April 4th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The ANA is not about helping coin collectors who waste the time of
dealers looking through their junk boxes. The ANA doesn't seem to be
focused on alerting the general public to scams which promote coins as
a good invvestment. Yes, they have a good lending library, and yes,
they still have one governor who dared name one of eBay's largest
scammers a few years ago.

It seems to mee that the primary business of the ANA is staying in
business. Hence, they have a talented lawyer as Executive Director.
(I don't compain about the table fees at their shows. A not-for-profit
organization has to stay profitable to exist for more than a couple of
years). Cipoletti as Executive Director tells me that the ANA's conern
with potential lawsuits is greater than their concern with educating
the public about how to enjoy their expenditures on coins or how to
avoid the pitfalls of navigating the many offers from ANA members to
the less knowledgeable buyers out there. Is Chris Cipoletti the ED to
keep fun-loving collectors from spouting off here and on other online
forums about the profitable ANA members who misrepresent? Yes, if it is
more profitable for the ANA to keep the established dealer/members free
of litigation than to spill the beans about offenses made by the same.

I am an ANA member, by the way, (#R2515949), but wish my membership
dues did more than threaten offending members with a wet noodle behind
closed doors. If the Executive Director of the ANA were an elected
position, I'm sure someone reading this newsgroup would step forward to
take action against the more prominent misrepresenters of coin values
on TV, eBay, and Coin World or Numismatic News full page ads. Would
such a rabble rouser expose the ANA to more lawsuits than its aging
membership could afford?

Old April 6th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

To me how profitable the ANA is, or even whether membership goes up or
down isn't the most important thing. Obviously they need to keep
operating, but making money shouldn't be the driving force. Education
should be the driving force.

On 3 Apr 2006 22:24:23 -0700, "Paul Robertz"
stated: