The joys of numismatic research

Old March 21st 04, 01:53 AM
Bruce Remick

"Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote:

Here I thought it was called a Jag-u-wahr. As a kid in the early 1950's,

marveled at my neighbor who had an XK-120(?), a pale lavender color, with

fin-like protrusion on the trunk that may have housed lights. Never seen
one like that since. Don't recal either if it was right or left drive.

Was
that an optional feature on a particular model?

The only one I remember with a fin from the 50s was the Jaguar D-Type....a
racing car:

http://www.ciltd.co.uk/Replica/dtype.htm

I'm sure glad my old '67 E-Type didn't have one of those.

Note to Ian: When are you going to "upgrade" to an XK8-R? Then you'd

really
need to have a petrol truck follow you around. ;-)

This wasn't a D-type. I'm sure it was either an XK-120 or 140, and I'm
guessing it was about 1952-54. The "fin" wasn't as pronounced as a D-type
and I recall it housed a stack of lights. Maybe it was some aftermarket
mod, if they even had such things back then.

I never owned a Jag, but my buddy in college had a 140. When he wasn't busy
tuning it, we would cruise the highways (circa 1960), occasionally showing
the big V-8's what effortless "top end" was.

Bruce

Old March 21st 04, 02:10 AM
Phil DeMayo

"Bruce Remick" wrote:

Here I thought it was called a Jag-u-wahr. As a kid in the early 1950's, I
marveled at my neighbor who had an XK-120(?), a pale lavender color, with a
fin-like protrusion on the trunk that may have housed lights. Never seen
one like that since. Don't recal either if it was right or left drive. Was
that an optional feature on a particular model?

The only one I remember with a fin from the 50s was the Jaguar D-Type....a
racing car:

http://www.ciltd.co.uk/Replica/dtype.htm

I'm sure glad my old '67 E-Type didn't have one of those.

Note to Ian: When are you going to "upgrade" to an XK8-R? Then you'd really
need to have a petrol truck follow you around. ;-)

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old March 21st 04, 02:59 AM
Phil DeMayo

"Bruce Remick" wrote:

I never owned a Jag, but my buddy in college had a 140. When he wasn't busy
tuning it, we would cruise the highways (circa 1960), occasionally showing
the big V-8's what effortless "top end" was.

I know what you mean. That 4.2 liter inline six with triple SU carbs in my "E"
was a joy.

++++++++++
Old March 21st 04, 06:58 AM
Ian

note.boy wrote:

Is your jag-war white?

Moss Green

Do you have shares in a petrol company?

Are you really asking if I have to make a call to Grangemouth to have
the petrol bowser strategically located for the mid journey refuelling?
if so the answer is yes. Otherwise, sadly, I do not have any shares in
BP etc.

MPG? 15?

strangely enough, 18 - 20

4 litre engine?

a step up from that (5.6) . Vrrrrroooooom! Then she purrs playfully,
before setting off like proverbial sh-t off a shovel!

IM

Billy

Ian wrote:

Michael E. Marotta wrote:

Ian wrote

I wonder what MAG BRIT could possibly mean?

The wheels on a Shelby?

Hmmm... nice cars but unless I have a sudden windfall, i'll have to
stick with my jag-war XJS V12

...the wheels on my jag go round and round. Round and round. Round and
round......

Sadly however (as would already appear to be your ken), the MAG BRIT I
had in mind appears on the legend of the coin which forms the basis of
this joyous thread.

Now then, does that count in the category of `having a clue'; `giving a
clue'.... or both?

Ahhh...so many questions, and not enough answers!

IM

Old March 21st 04, 07:09 AM
Ian

Phil DeMayo wrote:

"Bruce Remick" wrote:

Here I thought it was called a Jag-u-wahr. As a kid in the early 1950's, I
marveled at my neighbor who had an XK-120(?), a pale lavender color, with a
fin-like protrusion on the trunk that may have housed lights. Never seen
one like that since. Don't recal either if it was right or left drive. Was
that an optional feature on a particular model?

The only one I remember with a fin from the 50s was the Jaguar D-Type....a
racing car:

http://www.ciltd.co.uk/Replica/dtype.htm

I'm sure glad my old '67 E-Type didn't have one of those.

Note to Ian: When are you going to "upgrade" to an XK8-R? Then you'd really
need to have a petrol truck follow you around. ;-)

I love the D type. What a car!! I fell in love with it when I was just a
a schoolkid back in the late 50's (sigh...D type...you broke my heart!)

....but now i've got over it, moved on and I'm very happy with my
pussycat and wouldn't dream of upgrading her. The missus wouldn't let me
anyway.

As for the petrol....I usually use my `dogmobile' (a diesel engined
Peugeot 405 estate) for day to day use...like taking my dog to the local
park for a walk (bit Irish that concept isn't it...). Couldn't afford to
use the jag for other than `weekend' driving. I'd never get the dog out
of it either. He loves posing in it. :-)

Ian
++++++++++

Old March 21st 04, 07:26 AM
Ian

"Bruce Remick" wrote:

[...]

I don't know the car you are talking about, but I know the emotions you
relate in relation to effortless `top end'. :-)

One of my best friends was a real jag freak (sadly now deceased). He had
five of them...usually in various states of repair. I knew he had
flipped when he announced to me that he had managed to buy an e-type
that had been used in one of the Alasdair MacLean films (the one where
the car is seen heading off the edge of a cliff into the sea...from a
fair height). At the back of his house he proudly presented this mass of
tangled metal that even a scrap merchant would have had second thoughts
accepting. He had thoughts of restoring it........ :-(

His other cars however were a MkIII, 2 x MkIV, and a Mk10. The MK III
and the Mk10 actually worked, and boy did they say `effortless' in
relation to going from A - B. These cars not only `rocked' but there was
a characteristic jaguar `roll' from side to side when you got above 90MPH.

Ian
Old March 21st 04, 08:23 AM
Phil DeMayo

Ian wrote:

One of my best friends was a real jag freak (sadly now deceased). He had
five of them...usually in various states of repair. I knew he had
flipped when he announced to me that he had managed to buy an e-type
that had been used in one of the Alasdair MacLean films (the one where
the car is seen heading off the edge of a cliff into the sea...from a
fair height). At the back of his house he proudly presented this mass of
tangled metal that even a scrap merchant would have had second thoughts
accepting. He had thoughts of restoring it........ :-(

His other cars however were a MkIII, 2 x MkIV, and a Mk10. The MK III
and the Mk10 actually worked, and boy did they say `effortless' in
relation to going from A - B. These cars not only `rocked' but there was
a characteristic jaguar `roll' from side to side when you got above 90MPH.

I decided to take my "E" off the road in 1979 due to several small nagging
problems that made it impractical for everyday use....at least until I could
get around to fixing them. As a result I started looking around for a reliable
used car.

Of course, I no sooner turned to the auto section of the local newspaper when
my eyes were drawn to a particular item in the "imported car" section:

"1967 Jaguar XKE Roadster, excellent condition, $3000 or best offer"

Now you have to understand, I saw my first XKE when I was 13 years old in 1961.
I was on my way to the neighborhood deli with a friend when one glided by. My
jaw dropped and I turned to my friend and said, "I'm going to own one of those
some day".

Now I could never make up my mind which I liked best....the roadster or the
fixed head coupe, so I decided it would be best to own one of each.....logical
conclusion.

Jump back to 1979 and the newspaper ad. "Wow, a '67 roadster, I have a '67
coupe....one of each. I could trade parts and surely keep at least one on the
road at all times".

Sadly, I soon came to my senses and ended up buying an early 70s piece of crap
6 cyclinder Camaro that looked like a bumblebee (yellow with black racing
stripes and a black vinyl roof). God, I hated that car.

Old March 21st 04, 08:51 AM
Ian

Phil DeMayo wrote:

Ian wrote:

[...]

As demonstrated by your story, reality is indeed a harsh mistress!

That's very brave of you to owning up to possessing a yellow and black
Camaro. I don't think I would have the guts to do that..... ;-)

Ian