The joys of numismatic research

Old March 20th 04, 07:38 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:50:12 +0000, "note.boy"
wrote:

Reid, have you had a humour bypass operation? Billy

I got the joke, Billy. See the word "economics" in my post. It was a
very funny joke...

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old March 20th 04, 08:11 PM
Ian

Michael E. Marotta wrote:
Ian wrote

I wonder what MAG BRIT could possibly mean?

The wheels on a Shelby?

Hmmm... nice cars but unless I have a sudden windfall, i'll have to
stick with my jag-war XJS V12

....the wheels on my jag go round and round. Round and round. Round and
round......

Sadly however (as would already appear to be your ken), the MAG BRIT I
had in mind appears on the legend of the coin which forms the basis of
this joyous thread.

Now then, does that count in the category of `having a clue'; `giving a
clue'.... or both?

Ahhh...so many questions, and not enough answers!

IM
Old March 20th 04, 08:34 PM
William Chevyler

Reid Goldsborough wrote: "Anybody have some "knowledge finds" they'd
like to share. With me, acquiring information and knowledge is every
bit as rewarding as acquiring coins."

Me, too! Numismatic research lets us enjoy historical events that we
did not live to see. I have been reading lots of colorful books about
famous wars in American history and I also happened to buy a
circulated coin like this unc.
http://www.coinfacts.com/silver_doll...n_dollars/1898
s_morgan_silver_dollar.htm

It is a somewhat uncommon 1898-S Morgan Dollar. Only 4 million were
made. These coins were made by George Morgan when he worked at the
Mint. I
think my coin is an honest Very Fine, or maybe hopeful XF, but it has
only a few bagmarks pretty much worn away by light circulation.

This coin, part of a large emission of the same variety, was in all
likelihood minted to build up the American navy in preparation for the
anticipated Spanish War of 1898. This war determined the history of
the United States and
Spain. With these coins from San Francisco in their pockets, brave
young American sailors fought a desperate battle against the much
older ships and men from Spain who were holding the Manilla harbor
hostage and threatening the entire Pacific. This was the supreme
confrontation between Spain and America and it brought democracy to
the Philippines, Hawaii, Cuba, Puerto Rico and other Spanish dominated
lands.

Afterward, America became the nation we know today, joining the other
democracies of the world who defeated the empires of Germany and
Russia and
built the League of Nations and then the United Nations on Four
Freedoms. This ushered in a golden age of invention, art, and
science including
the automobile, the airplane, atom bomb and space shuttle because of
many great Americans such as Albert Einstein, Enrico Fermi, Wernher
von Braun, and Golda Meir, which led to the modern world we have
today.

I have found pictures of my coin online like I said, but I also have
valuable references about this coin, such as Photograde and The Red
Book.

William Chevyler
----------------------------

Before the Earth was enspherized, people could
escape television broadcast beams by direct linear
travel.(FELFAT)
http://www.cca.org/woc/felfat/

A famous case of reincarnation is that of a
Colorado housewife who, under hypnosis, was able to
recall details of a past life. Her knowledge of the
period was astonding.
http://psychicinvestigator.com/demo/Reinc2.htm

Collecting Counterfeits Can Be Challenging!!
http://www.tobacco.org/news/119500.html
http://www.iccwbo.org/ccs/cib_bureau/CPI_overview.asp
http://www.iacc.org/teampublish/109_471_3701.cfm
Old March 20th 04, 10:07 PM
note.boy

Is your jag-war white?

Do you have shares in a petrol company? MPG? 15? 4 litre engine?
Billy

Old March 20th 04, 10:48 PM
Richard L. Hall

"Ankaaz" wrote in message
I wrote:

"My husband says the Washington Redskins. I guess the typical answer

would be
the Packers. Is he right or is the riddle more confounding than that?"

It -is- the Packers. Lombardi died before a Redskins game was ever played
under his tutelage. Correctamundo?

Nope! He coached the Redskins during the 1969 season to their first winning
record in 14 years. He died the following September.

Old March 20th 04, 11:47 PM
JSTONE9352

Nope! He coached the Redskins during the 1969 season to their first winning
record in 14 years. He died the following September.

Died Sept. 3, 1970. Only reason I remember that is because that is my
birthday. (the day, not the year).

He is still beloved in Green Bay with a
street and an elementary school named
after him.
Old March 21st 04, 12:33 AM
Bruce Remick

"Ian" wrote in message
news
Michael E. Marotta wrote:
Ian wrote

I wonder what MAG BRIT could possibly mean?

The wheels on a Shelby?

Hmmm... nice cars but unless I have a sudden windfall, i'll have to
stick with my jag-war XJS V12

Here I thought it was called a Jag-u-wahr. As a kid in the early 1950's, I
marveled at my neighbor who had an XK-120(?), a pale lavender color, with a
fin-like protrusion on the trunk that may have housed lights. Never seen
one like that since. Don't recal either if it was right or left drive. Was
that an optional feature on a particular model?

Bruce
Bruce

Old March 21st 04, 01:07 AM
Phil DeMayo

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

You're here, as usual, for only one purpose, another one who just
post to disrupt. I missed nothing about Adam Smith....snip

Adam Smith?

Let me quote another poster in this thread, "Are you SERIOUS?"

Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits