The joys of numismatic research

Old March 20th 04, 03:14 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:45:19 GMT, Ian
wrote:

I thought it was James VI who commissioned the bible thing.........(?)

Did he change his name, or have his name changed, from James VI (as
king of Scotland) to James I (as king of England)? That's what the
dictionary I used initially seems to indicate. Again, I know little
about this time in history. Let me check Britannica. It indicates the
same thing. So I don't know what Anka was so sarcastic about. She now
seems very sure it was James VI. Maybe he did his Bible thing before
becoming king of England. But my dictionary indicates it was James I,
as does Britannica. Maybe Anka was being sarcastic again, who knows.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old March 20th 04, 03:14 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:31:22 +0000, "note.boy"
wrote:

I seldom understand Michael's posts as he has a very odd
incomprehensible writing style, I'm very often scratching my head
wondering what the h*ll he's going on about. Billy

Michael is a very sharp guy. That's all I want to say...

Old March 20th 04, 03:32 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:32:57 +0000, note.boy
wrote:

The nationality of the first person mentioned in the Bible
is.......Scottish, a good question to ask a group of people as few get
the answer correct. Billy

That only works on Anglicans though.

Old March 20th 04, 04:06 AM
A.Gent

news
wrote:

I thought it was James VI who commissioned the bible thing.........(?)

Did he change his name, or have his name changed, from James VI (as
king of Scotland) to James I (as king of England)? That's what the
dictionary I used initially seems to indicate.

Googled on "king james bible history"

First hit:
http://www.av1611.org/kjv/kjvhist.html

"A Brief History of the King James Bible

By Dr. Laurence M. Vance

As the reign of Elizabeth (1558-1603) was coming to a close, we find a draft for an
act of Parliament for a new version of the Bible: "An act for the reducing of
diversities of bibles now extant in the English tongue to one settled vulgar
translated from the original." The Bishop's Bible of 1568, although it may have
eclipsed the Great Bible, was still rivaled by the Geneva Bible. Nothing ever became
of this draft during the reign of Elizabeth, who died in 1603, and was succeeded by
James 1, as the throne passed from the Tudors to the Stuarts. James was at that time
James VI of Scotland, and had been for thirty-seven years. He was born during the
period between the Geneva and the Bishop's Bible. "

...Again, I know little
about this time in history. Let me check Britannica. It indicates the
same thing. So I don't know what Anka was so sarcastic about. She now
seems very sure it was James VI. Maybe he did his Bible thing before
becoming king of England. But my dictionary indicates it was James I,
as does Britannica. Maybe Anka was being sarcastic again, who knows.

see above.

So, the KJV was the first universally accepted, and well-received English language
version of the bible.

Therefore, the first individual named in the bible ("English language" assumed here")
is King James. (His name is on the cover.) He was a Scot. Ask the Scots *which* Ki
ng James he was. Ask Sean Connery if he likes being an Englishman. (Then duck and
run)

Thus the joke.

boom-tish!

Its going to be terribly confusing for some folk if and when Prince Charles becomes
King George VII, but that's an entirely different story ;-)

HTH

--
Jeff
Whacko (and proud of it)

Old March 20th 04, 04:20 AM
Phil DeMayo

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

Did he change his name, or have his name changed, from James VI (as
king of Scotland) to James I (as king of England)? That's what the
dictionary I used initially seems to indicate. Again, I know little
about this time in history. Let me check Britannica. It indicates the
same thing. So I don't know what Anka was so sarcastic about. She now
seems very sure it was James VI. Maybe he did his Bible thing before
becoming king of England. But my dictionary indicates it was James I,
as does Britannica. Maybe Anka was being sarcastic again, who knows.

Sigh.....

She seems so sure because James VI of Scotland became the first James to ascend
to the throne in England....same person.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old March 20th 04, 04:32 AM
Aladdin Sane

An even better one, what was the last team that Vince Lombardi coached?

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.
"Ankaaz" wrote in message
Billy wrote:

"The nationality of the first person mentioned in the Bible

is.......Scottish,
a good question to ask a group of people as few get the answer correct."

That's a good one. ;-)

Anka ---- wonders if Reid will get it...

Old March 20th 04, 06:43 AM
Phil DeMayo

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

That's exactly what I just said.

Then why did you phrase it in the form of a question? Playing Jeopardy?

You missed the entire point.

No, 'tis you who appear clueless. You obviously missed the little inside joke
between Anka and Ian the Scotsman.

what I said initially and what Anka responded to with an "Are you
SERIOUS?" I still don't know what point Anka was trying to make
or even if she knows.

My guess is that she was totally shocked that someone who earned degrees from
two different universities was unaware until now that King James I was
responsible for the King James Bible.

Old March 20th 04, 06:47 AM
Ian

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
That's exactly what I just said. You missed the entire point. When he
commissioned the "King James" Bible, was he James I of England or
James VI of Scotland?

I wonder what MAG BRIT could possibly mean?