The joys of numismatic research

Old March 23rd 04, 05:56 AM
K6AZ

On 23 Mar 2004 05:26:35 GMT, ulsion (Phil DeMayo) wrote:

Scot Kamins wrote:

Guess I'M an idiot! :-D

Nah....you weren't the one who thanked him for the post. We all know who the
idiot is. ;-)

He really is a slow witted individual isn't he? (Speaking of the Goldsbooger).

I guess that a lot of newcomers here didn't pick up on the "Chevyler" handle
but I did instantly. Unfortunately, I did not see Goldsbooger's reply because
I have his drivel permanently plonked.

--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old March 23rd 04, 06:32 AM

Phil DeMayo wrote:

Stujoe wrote:

OMG! I don't think I saw the original post but I did skim Reid's reply
(including the obligatory, opening paragraph) and I didn't notice the
name! Kinda makes the statement "If more people posted messages like
yours..." rather ironic, eh, considering who has posted messages like that
before.

What makes the RG character appear even more clueless (if that's possible) is
that the "Chevyler" post was a total "goof" on his original post.

RG: "This coin, part of a large emission of the same variety, was in all
likelihood minted to build up the Hellenic navy in preparation for the
anticipated Persian invasion, which would take place in 480 BC and which would
determine the subsequent course of Western history."

WC: "This coin, part of a large emission of the same variety, was in all
likelihood minted to build up the American navy in preparation for the
anticipated Spanish War of 1898. This war determined the history of the United
States and Spain."

etc.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits

Phil....... and everyone else, even you RG!
I am GOING TO CHANGE MY NAME! I keep on thinking that everyone is
talking about me when they just put in RG....
(Wheeler= Roscoe Garrett= RG)
Wheeler..... ( Will NOT post Roscoe again!) ;-)
Old March 23rd 04, 10:36 AM
Michael E. Marotta

Reid Goldsborough wrote
This coin, part of a large
emission of the same variety, was in all likelihood minted to build up
the Hellenic navy in preparation for the anticipated Persian invasion ...

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
Afterward, the Greeks for the first time formed a formal allegiance of
the various Greek city-states (the Delian League) and were able to
continue their unprecedented experimentation with individualism and
democracy. This ushered in the golden age of ancient Greece, the
thinking of men such as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, and the
genesis of Western science, philosophy, and civilization.

Nice coin.

Poor history.

I mean, you do know that Socrates was found guilty of impiety and
sentenced to exile, a fate he cheated by committing suicide. And as a
passionate lover of Alexander, you must know that when Alexander died,
Aristotle fled from Athens to deprive the assembly of a second
opportunity to sin against philosophy. As deeply read as you are, you
must know of how certain powerful men were unable to get to Perikles
directly, but were able to exile his friend and mentor, Anaxagoras who
impiously suggested at the sun was a hot rock. Individualism, so
called by us moderns, was _NOT_ appreciated in Athens, or much of
anywhere at that time.

Not apparent in most high school history books or the Time-Life series
is the fact that science and philosophy as the Greeks expressed them
originated in IONIA, mostly in Miletos, and were imported to Athens by
refugees fleeing the Persians. As non-citizens, unable to SPEAK at an
assembly, they turned to WRITING, the medium of tyranny. Pericles'
paramour Aspasia taught philosophy ("the Milesian way") to certain
Athenians. For that, she was prosecuted by the assembly on other
charges. Of course, there were Empedocles of Akragas... and Zeno of
Elea. Zeno's Paradox is also not explained well in most popular
books, but Heisenberg understood it, which is why he used wave
equations to express mass, there being no such thing as nothing.
Ionians and their thinking spread across the Mediterranean when the
Persians crushed the revolt of 500 BC. Many settled in Athens, for
reasons of general kinship. The history of the Ionian Confederation
was one of the lessons that led to our federal constitution. But that
is another story entirely.

Understanding the so-called "golden age" of Athens requires seeing
beyond the marble temples. What you do NOT know about Athens would
fill a book, several of them,... in fact, already has... you ought to
read them. Unless you are about to re-write the history of the Delian
League, your spin on it fails to explain several aspects of the
so-called "Golden Age." And it was emphatically _NOT_ a "hellenic"
navy, but an ATHENIAN navy, which is what in their minds justified the
hegemony of the Delian League.

Michael
"History is bunk." Henry FORD.
Old March 23rd 04, 10:44 AM
Michael E. Marotta

Scot Kamins wrote
Guess I'M an idiot! :-D
Scot Kamins

Not at all. We are just amusing ourselves here and there is no real
reason to focus on much of what appears here. I was sort of
disappointed that the Links on the bottom of the Chevyler post did not
trip more alarms.

Flat Earth... Bridey Murphy... and the Collecting of Counterfeits.

But, I guess that just goes to show how totally unimportant this all
is in the grand scheme of things.

Michael
Sic transit...
Old March 23rd 04, 10:50 AM
Michael E. Marotta

Reid Goldsborough wrote
I don't personally share your interest in Morgan dollars, but I can
understand well how you'd be interested in them...

And you apparently shared his understanding of American history.

Michael
"Free Hawaii and All Captive Nations!"
Old March 23rd 04, 04:13 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:16:18 -0800, Scot Kamins
wrote:

Guess I'M an idiot! :-D

There are a lot of "idiots" with far too much time on their hands.
Hey, let's all create false IDs here and try to fool each other! Fun,
fun.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Protection Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old March 23rd 04, 04:28 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On 23 Mar 2004 02:36:20 -0800, (Michael E.
Marotta) wrote:

I mean, you do know that Socrates was found guilty of impiety and
sentenced to exile, a fate he cheated by committing suicide.

Gee, Michael. I never knew that about Socrates. Thanks for pointing
this out? And how does this refute what I wrote?

And as a
passionate lover of Alexander, you must know that when Alexander died,
Aristotle fled from Athens to deprive the assembly of a second
opportunity to sin against philosophy. As deeply read as you are, you
must know of how certain powerful men were unable to get to Perikles
directly, but were able to exile his friend and mentor, Anaxagoras who
impiously suggested at the sun was a hot rock. Individualism, so
called by us moderns, was _NOT_ appreciated in Athens, or much of
anywhere at that time.

Of course individualism and democracy were appreciated in Athens!. But
they weren't regarded as we regard these concepts TODAY. It's taken
more than two thousand years for what the ancient Greeks first
experimented with to evolve into the beliefs and practices of 21st
century America.

Not apparent in most high school history books or the Time-Life series
is the fact that science and philosophy as the Greeks expressed them
originated in IONIA, mostly in Miletos, and were imported to Athens by
refugees fleeing the Persians.

And how does this refute what I wrote. I never said the *Athenians*
originated science and philosophy. You're arguing a point I never
made, and -- tell me -- for what purpose?

As non-citizens, unable to SPEAK at an
assembly, they turned to WRITING, the medium of tyranny.

Writing as a medium of tyranny. More contrarian bologna.

Pericles'
paramour Aspasia taught philosophy ("the Milesian way") to certain
Athenians. For that, she was prosecuted by the assembly on other
charges. Of course, there were Empedocles of Akragas... and Zeno of
Elea. Zeno's Paradox is also not explained well in most popular
books, but Heisenberg understood it, which is why he used wave
equations to express mass, there being no such thing as nothing.
Ionians and their thinking spread across the Mediterranean when the
Persians crushed the revolt of 500 BC. Many settled in Athens, for
reasons of general kinship. The history of the Ionian Confederation
was one of the lessons that led to our federal constitution. But that
is another story entirely.

Yes, another story. All this is another story, without coherence,
without a point.

Old March 23rd 04, 04:28 PM
Stujoe

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:13:29 -0500, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

Hey, let's all create false IDs here and try to fool each other!

Funny!

--
Stujoe
'Self-deprecating humour?'
Old March 23rd 04, 04:45 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

wrote:

Guess I'M an idiot! :-D

There are a lot of "idiots" with far too much time on their hands.
Hey, let's all create false IDs here and try to fool each other! Fun,
fun.

I thought it was pretty funny that you missed a nearly word for word
parody of a recent post of your own. ;-)

At least you show the good sense not to read yourself.

Alan
'writing is a dangerous profession'