Licensed items

Old March 15th 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

Default Licensed items

Yeah, well, I do post a lot and can see where people think poorly of
that... but I do help this group a lot or at least try to...so getting
ripped for it is not cool. But that's life I guess.

PS we were discussing Styx... about the song "Babe" and the fact the
group doesn't have rights to sing it at concerts. Sad for the fans.
We were also talking of all the concerts we've been to, they are
almost one of the best...very entertaining. Rod Stewart was too; a
big stage act; change in music and dress and sets. But Styx seems to
ENJOY it. Unlike some of the older groups like Beach Boys, Monkees,
B-52's, Survivor etc

On 15 Mar 2006 04:32:07 -0800, "tarkusshadow"
wrote:

"I do have a lot of time on my hands"

Kinda reminds me of a Styx song! haha

Thanks for the information Sue! :-)

Old March 15th 06, 05:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

no, no, no. it says ANY REPRODUCTION...meaning in any way or form. then
it says any kind of rebroadcast. look at it, the language it uses means
EVERY TYPE of reproduction. and it says for any reason. it's seriously
keeps it so they could sue you...but the implications are arrest.
mike

Old March 15th 06, 05:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

Well, I don't know; haven't seen one lately that I paid attention to.
But if that's the case, we're ALL in trouble; and all your photos...
probably copies too on Ebay right? Reprints? Be careful as the email
I got said their main focus was Ebay dealers. They gave me a list
which I posted. But that's all I'll do because I don't agree with the
whole thing because:

Fan mail is part of life and the celebs don't want to foot the
bill...so either they foot the bill and provide photos, which a lot
won't do because of cost, or we send stuff. And there's only so much
out there and there are no opportunities to get stuff from most of the
ones I personally write to. It's screen caps or jpgs from the net for
me.

Old March 15th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

dude...NOTHING i sell is liscensed...the unsigned photos...there's no
law against it...but if a production company has my stuff veroed
(usually warner bros. items) then i have no legs to stand on...
now..and here's a true legal thing...
once an item is signed, it's a piece of memorabilia, and the
licensed/unlicensed thing goes out the window...because the liscensing
is an individual thing. the person signing is basically giving you
permission to use it in any way you want to at that point. that's been
the case in sports litigation for years. it's the main reason why some
players will only sign licensed photos ( jeff gordon is one, and
apparently, that's only an in the mail thing- cause he signs unlicensed
items in person, but limits it- he's actually told me that if i had
liscensed photos, he'd sign more).
now, on my press kits, there is nothing about not reproducing the
images as making a photo directly from a press kit is basically
promotion- at my cost. but if they push the isue, yes, i have a
problem. i don't think there's anything they can do to me legally. but
they can keep me from selling..and companies like officialpix actually
has the licensing for star wars photos and can actually make a real
issue of it if they want to. so i stopped selling star wars photos on
ebay.
it's all quite grey. but i am sure ebay is just trying to keep a watch
on any legal problems...like i always say, they may be a super rich
company, but they are 1 major lawsuit away from being shut down
completely. i think ebay is treading a fine line as it is. if they get
sued for something substantial, the whole structure would come down as
lawsuits would fly in from everywhere where someone feels they've been
done wrong as a result of an ebay transaction...so if they shut it
down, they will...but i thought this thread was more that you were
getting notices saying that people weren't allowed to sign unlicensed
material...not an ebay thing. and this all goes down to the publicists
and studio execs putting their hands into everything, even taking stuff
away from their talent. if the talent doesn't stand up for the stuff,
then you really have no choices. but talent has so much on their
plates, they don't care about studio fan mail issues, or fan mail in
general unless it finds their way to them directly. another reason why
i say that most of the TTM's are secretarial...the stuff people send to
a "celebrity" goes through so many hands before it finally arrives at
celebrity A, that there's a strong possibility that no one wants to
bother celebrity A with it, so they take care of it themselves.
thinking it's part of the duty they perform to celebrity A. i mean, if
you want to look at the legit arguments i've put up in the past saying
that most TTM are fake, i think that on a daily basis, someone else
posts up a reason that what i said is true. it's just that when i say
something, someone else just wants to fly off the handle and doesn't
think of things rationally...
let's just put it this way, ROBERT PATRICK just said that he has
"someone who handles thaat." so does that mean if you write to robert
patrick, you re going to get a fake??? not necessarily, but i bet odd
are that you are not getting robert patrick's autograph...if someone
like robert patrick (i know he had his moment) has someone handling his
minimal fan mail, imagine who's really not taking care of their mail at
all...
that's not saying all of it is...i have posted on here that i've seen
celebrities carrying their fan mail with the intention of signing it (i
think i posted that matt kenseth once asked my wife for a sharpie so he
could take care of his fan mail that night before he went to bed- it
was late and staples and all that were probably closed at that point).
sorry to change the point of the thread...but i think you can easily
see my point...you can't guarantee that something is real if you didn't
see it getting signed. especially TTM signatures, cause there's no one
out there watching that.
mike

Old March 15th 06, 08:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

I can't say I agree with it. There are laws against it. Their called
copyright infringement. And once a celeb signs it, it's now just a
signed piece of copyright violation. So you're telling me that YOU
can reprint any copyrighted material and sell it but I can't copy a
photo from a DVD I paid for, for personal use? I don't think you are
hearing yourself speak; you have contradicted yourself. I also don't
think that you are interpreting things properly. Seems you interpret
what you want so it suits your case and nobody else. Personally, you
copying a licensed Star Wars photo for resale that you didn't pay for
and selling it for profit and me making a paid for DVD screen capture
for my private use (not selling it as you did), I would venture to say
us standing side by side in a courtroom, YOU would go to jail in about
30 seconds, while technically I might be guilty too, but I'd have a
lot more defense than you! No offense, but it's just common sense to
me...it's about the sales of the reprinted material first and
foremost.

Old March 15th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

PS It always seems that you are always adding ttm successes are
secretarial. We weren't even on that subject, but again it's brought
up. So here we go round and round. I would say 95% or more of my ttm
successes are legit. Then again, I am not contacting Alist celebs ...
you really need to tread lightly here. It's only Alist celebs pretty
much where this secretarial thing happens (occasionally elsewhere, but
very little). You keep lumping everything into one category. You
just can't do that.

Old March 15th 06, 11:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

AMEN!

As much as I used to respect barefoots opinion this 'most TTM are fake" is
really turning me off. Its becoming quite transparent that he just thinks
hes hot **** because he can get stuff in-person. (IMHO) I won't lie, I
would love to be able to get the autographs I want in-person but some of us
save up just to afford to send photos let alone trying to travel to all
these different conventions and premieres.

He e-mailed me in the past about stuff on my site and I conceded some the
first autos I bought were possibly fake and I change the listing on the
site. During those emails he was reasonable and I made an effort to do the
same. However, this constant ranting about TTM collecting have just about
got him plonked during the last several fights. He insists that everything
TTM is fake because you don't see them sign but thats exactly what hes
doing, judging autographs sometimes with out seeing them. A celebrity
saying he doesn't sign doesn't mean that everything is fake. It just
decreases the odds. Celebrity signatures and signing habits change over
time. I hate to bring up that infamous name but John Travolta said a couple
years ago in an interview that I have on tape somewhere in my 3000+tape
collection that he signed when he has time. But according to barefoot he
said in another interview that he never signs. Its not that I don't believe
him necessarily, this just proves my point that signing habits change!

That all said, It doesn't surprise me that ALOT of the A listers are going
to send secretarial if at all. Its pretty obvious that someone like Jim
Carrey isn't going to give a ****. But some of the more unknowns and
"has-beens" are going to give much better results. Of the last two I sent
too, one returned an extra photo answering a question I asked with a two
page letter and the other I'm currently corresponding with via e-mail. They
must just be going through alot of trouble for a secretarial?

Old March 15th 06, 11:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

I gotta say if everything was secretarial, they'd all be signed on the
front sides, in nice areas with nice pens most likely as "secretaries"
do things to make their bosses look good and also themselves. Also,
notes on many items... that's above and beyond. Also handwritten
envelopes back (their address in the upper right); sometimes from
different addresses, meaning they got the mail and went somewhere else
and signed it...it didn't come out of the mailroom and go back out.
That's way out of the norm for a secretarial, so you can probably rest
assured all these are legit. For example, today I got a Harry Potter
one. In it, a printout with behind the scene photo of the others in
her group with handwritten notes on it in ballpoint as to who was who
and that one was missing because it was cold and he went to go get
coffee. No way that's a secretarial...and under her photo, it said
"me!".

Anyway, if you (you being generic meaning anyone) are writing to Al
Pacino, Travolta, Oprah, Tom Cruise anyone who is SO huge they don't
have a moment's spare time or who is SO huge in the fan mail
department (ie Orlando Bloom, Lindsay Lohan) that you can't possibly
handle it, you gotta suspect a secretarial. But even SOME of those
will want to hear some of their mail and might pick out special ones.
Nobody here would probably constitute "special" most likely, but I
believe they do read their mail. Again, I reiterate the Victoria
Gotti mail episode with the doll and her comments on mail.... she
reads them all and responds to some and even calls people. Others who
are nice like Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks I think WOULD answer their fan
mail if it was humanly possible. But they can't. Usually, celebs who
would like to answer but can't do one of two things:
Preprints/autopens or NOTHING (not to choose one over the other).
Most do NOT use secretaries if they are the huge celebs with tons of
cash. I think the ones that do use secretaries want to give people an
illusion. They usually Alist celebs (or Blister celebs with enough
money to employ one or more assistants) who don't want to disappoint
fans and who need to give their assistant something to do on a slow
day. If you hear of a couple Travolta sigs about the same time ttm
where he doesn't normally sign at all or sends PP's say, and the
people are respected who got it, then I would venture to say that it's
real. One doesn't normally tell an assistant to sign two but forget
everyone else...

Just my two cents, but I am trying to look at this logically. I hope
I am being logical anyway!

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:31:57 GMT, "SBFan2000"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old March 16th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

I know in the 70's and 80's Liza had a secretary who read her mail and
gave the nice ones to Liza and she signed them. At least this is what
her fan club president (official) said.

I've also received things that look like someone else may have read
them and then passed them on (one picture came with a post it note with
my name on it in one handwriting and the photo was signed in another.
The star probably didn't read my letter but it was probably sent along.)

Old March 16th 06, 12:49 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

I've had a couple of these as well. It makes it look like an assitant read
the letter thought it was "worthy" and put your name on a post-it so the
celeb knows who to sign it to.

oups.com...